Cockatrice might need changes

Drains mana from an important user (IE: Infernus), then not only refills itself up but also Dragon’s Eye and yeah… even without Dragon’s Eye, it is still a major hassle. Otherwise let Nyx, Florian or any other mana drainer get the ability to get their own color back AND spawn in gems. Can’t see any problems there(!)

The fact of the matter is also tied to luck like the main collecting gimmick. There is only so many times the AI can loop before you question if the AI has a perk you don’t such as the guaranteed 6 brown gems from each Cockatrice cast (Formerly up to 14 from Worldbreaker but is now 13). Like I said with my Famine example, let him instantly kill someone and get all mana back and see what chaos that causes.

Well, i do see a prob instead, even tho i dont need it anymore (used it to get souls for db) in arena both nyx and florian are good to fill doomblade and shaman staff while the cocca is pretty lame to have in there so let nyx and florian alone plz :stuck_out_tongue:

What exactly is the problem?

Let’s put aside delves and tower of doom and other scaling events where any troop can be a killer and instigate its own “let’s nerf it!!!” storm; let’s only look at ordinary play.
Explore where one might encounter Cockatrice is not even worth mentioning - no troop poses a threat in explore.
So, PvP…who even uses it on a defence team? I’ve played little over 1000 PvP games (PC/Mobile) this week and haven’t seen a single one appearance of Cockatrice, the same can be said about last week and week before that…Cockatrice looks with Dragon Eye? How exactly? Put it up front and very little brown goes to Dragon Eye, put it behind and Dragon Eye likely fills before Cockatrice can do anything…in this respect, it is impractical, slow and unreliable. Maybe that’s the reason I see Dragon Eye/empowered Stormbrew with supporting troops all the time and never ever has there been Dragon Eye/Cockatrice team facing me in PvP. Why isn’t this insane killer troop all over the place in basically every other team?

What Cockatrice is good at is giving newer players a fighting chance on offense and…that’s that. Hardly anything more.

1 Like

Cockatrice is better than you give it credit for. Many loop teams require alignment for a quad match to set things off. Cockatrice can drain, entangle and self fill very nicely while waiting for the opportunity to unleash chaos. It also formed an integral part of a pvp team to counter ubastet pre nerf. Cockatrice leshy Korvash earth’s fury for example are a good line up for newer players who may not have the big power troops to take on the divine meta on brown day. Very satisfying to take down a big player with relatively low level troops as a relative novice. Most complaints seem to come from high level players in many of these threads. I vote we give newcomers a chance to compete; not stifle their chances when most game modes make it almost impossible for them to do well. The whingers should just do something else rather than spend their lives glued to their controller or spamming forums with tales of woe.

1 Like

Thevc implied with his/her posting that only hardcore players complain about such troops.
That actually is an argument when it’s true.
But could as well just be a high level player’s complaint and everyone’s getting there at some point.

I recently read an article about the importance of casual players and the unimportance of hardcore players for game development. Whether it applies here, on a free to play game, I don’t know.

Casual and new players are the lifeblood of any game, and that’s particularly true with gems of war. Some excellent players have left as a consequence of overzealous event introduction and top guilds need new talent coming through to supplement the ranks. Obviously experienced players can be instrumental in the mentoring of new recruits. But I for one would be discouraged from sticking with a game when said mentors are also complaining about troops, artwork and so on. There’s no need. Sure; bring bugs to the attention of the developers but don’t dictate and moan about X, Y and Z just because you lose a battle or two.

But this game needs to be paid for and I don’t know whether those hardcore players aren’t the ones that stick to it with teeth and claws and invest a lot of money on their way.

BTW I quit the game too, last year, after the implement of the awful GUI (which is still awful, like Windows 8 trying to balance their ui for pc and mobile devices and failing) and only returned because of the Steam achievements (I had a 100% before dammit, I want it back). I invested a lot of money too because I loved this game and regret that now because they ruined it for me. No troops, no bad luck/randomness ruined it.

Sure. It’s a business of course but developers consistently miss a trick. Take for example raid event. By Monday night someone with a wealth of gems has gone out the blocks like Usain bolt and spent a fortune building a lead that he hopes will discourage others from pursuit and earn himself a power orb. Many players will look at the leaderboard and decide there and then it’s just not worth the expense, effort, indeed they simply may not have the time. Nett result…a few players buy tier 6 and battle it out for a leaderboard position. Income for devs…minimal. however if the tier buy ins were capped at for example 2 or 3 tier 7 purchases only, the opportunity to win the orb becomes a whole new proposition. Firstly, it will be more affordable to compete, secondly, more players will actually have enough time to do so, and thirdly (and most important of all), it actually gives players the opportunity to succeed and win as an indication of ability rather than affordability. Nett result…more players will dig a little deeper and overall revenue will increase. The most satisfying aspect of this approach of course is that talent will become a factor and the best player that week will earn the spoils. Surely that’s healthy competition? Buying success is an illusion.