As Requested by a Dev: A Thread about Devs' Actions/Inactions

I can feel the passion in your post but I could swear Gems of War has always been F2P, bro.

Gems of Wars has always been F2P.

No special passion in my post, just an analysis after 4+ years of studying the concept with this game.

A video game must have a fixed price at release and that F2P concept needs to be forbidden. And again, I have good hope it will be forbidden. Its hopefully just a question of time. I have no ideas how the companies that enter into this F2P thing can still look themselves in the mirror.

Of course this bs target the mobiles…the problem is that the infection have spread to consoles. Hard for me to understand how any true video game lover would not be worried about that evolution.

Note that all my post dont take in count the fact that there can be some fun playing a F2P like Gems. This is not relevant to the discussion. What I am talking about is the whole picture. But tbh with you, when I read your answer, I dont think you are able to have a clear view of this whole picture. No insult intended.

I get what you’re coming from but they are working within the confines of the law. To call them criminals just because you disagree with how they want to make money is pretty ridiculous.

Some laws retroactively punish :man_shrugging:

He’s saying gambling laws are being circumvented, and when this is remedied with future legislation the same actions being taken today will be considered crimes (meaning they should have been all along).

3 Likes

I didnt call them criminals. I just said that they were lucky to not all be in jail actually. :wink: Internet appeared in the video games since mid 2000s and then came the F2P concept…all that very new without time for laws to adapt.
But things are slowly changing…

This is a pivotal element in the ‘was GoW always an f2p?’ debate: GoW used to be that ONE match-3 that we could recommend to lovers of the genre, a place where the game grew but not at the expense of player experience… money was given in exchange of more fun… design/updates were not about reaching for players’ wallets…

For those with the corresponding experience: GoW used to be the polar opposite of LGoH…

From that angle, GoW wasn’t always the standard f2p mould which they are so eager to become as of late… One of my guildies recently highlighted how the passion from the devs is no longer felt… Add to that the well-documented recurrent dodges, silences, misleads (and outright lies), and the treatment of customers by staff who should be doing support full-time instead of interacting with said customers (again, well-documented lack of soft-skills), and we no longer have that jewel of a match-3 that we could recommend to anyone as a long-term match-3 home. (we could go on about design, QA, language, consistency, balance… but trying to keep it short :blush: )

Just an alternative angle, that echoes a widespread sentiment.
:blush: :vulcan_salute:

3 Likes

Yeah I’m on the ‘freedom of choice’ camp. The last thing I want is the government telling me what I can or cannot enjoy.

I understand this argument but unfortunately things are more complex than that. The world dont resume to just you and me.
There must be limits. For exemple its forbidden to drive at 200 km/h.
In video game world are also childrens and more fragile persons that needs to be protected.
A normal video game with a fixed release price have only the risk of playing it too much (addiction of time).
A F2P game have not only this risk but also the money spending in excess risk because of addiction.

A video game should only have the time addiction risk, not time and money. (well…no risks at all would be of course better lol)

Thats why the F2P game concept needs to be forbidden by the law.
No worries, it will only lead to an improvment of the general quality of the video games.

Also about freedom of choice, its not always true…its like if a smoker talk about the freedom of smoking…

…addiction cancel freedom.

3 Likes

I disagree. If I want to buy something in a video game I should be able to. Let the developers put it out there as a choice. If it’s something that might not be suitable for kids then there should be controls by the industry to deal with it not controls made by the government. As for addiction, I think personal responsibility and accountability should play a role rather than just completely take away a choice. If I want it I should be able to have the choice to buy it. I should not be deprived of said choice because someone is not responsible enough to take control of their life. Taking away the choice to me is enabling such behavior.

There is no incentive for a company to self-regulate for the sake of children.

Without the government, there would still be children digging in coal mines.

I got into drag racing when I was 14 years old. Because I wasn’t allowed to get a regular job it took me a long time to find a job where it was off the books so I can pay for a car and the absurd amount of parts that I needed to be competitive.

Now that’s just me talking about my own experiences but I had a friend whose dad passed on when he was 17. Good thing he was 17 because his mom was having a hard time paying the bills and he was able to get a job. But what if he was 15? It sucks to have that choice taken away from you as to whether you can help provide for your family or not.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m just saying that there is the other side of the argument. Children working in coal mines sucks but not being able to help provide for your family because you don’t have the choice to work sucks, too. Hell, not being able to drag race back then because I couldn’t get a job due to my age would have been a death sentence for me.

That’s why if there ever was a decision where the government makes the choice for me and me having the freedom to choose what I want I’ll go for the freedom to make my choice any day of the week.

Poverty forcing your hand isn’t choosing, same as the freedom to buy cigarettes stops being “free” when addiction happens.

Safety nets should exist so no one has to choose to support their family while still a child.

You’re right that paternalistic protections only work when implemented well. You’re wrong to think they never can be, and that it is better not to try.

But we’ve had this conversation before, and I am posting way too much today. Dunno what’s gotten into me. Toodles :wave:

1 Like

I definitely think there is a solution out there to make everyone happy but until that solution comes along I will always be on the side of freedom of choice. Better to have a choice than to have no choice at all.

It’s obvious none of you speak French but my friend @anon43026234 is getting frustrated that no one fixes the French translation mistakes he reports. He speaks five languages and French is his primary so he knows what he is talking about. It is a simple database copy and paste that non-programmer Salty could easily do.

3 Likes

Only if, a non-programmer Salty was given a write persmission access to the database :wink:

Well I was not saying all video games should be forbidden. lol Only the F2P ones…the ones with a fixed price at release are no prob.

Imagine this analogy: If rotten or toxic fruits are not allowed to be sold in supermarkets, its a good thing. It dont prevent you to eat all sort of delicious fruits.

1 Like

Now we know who’s behind the typos lol.

1 Like

No I meant I’d rather have the option to buy what I want meaning if a developer decides to put in optional micro transactions into their games I’d rather have the choice to buy it rather than to not have the choice at all. The fruit analogy doesn’t make sense to me because no one would eat a rotten fruit as it would cause physical health problems. Buying a micro transaction in a video game would not cause any of the sort. It’s just something completely optional.

Again, often things are more complex or subtle than just black or white: The fruit can look perfectly healthy and beautiful and the rotten or toxicity can be invisible…hidden inside the fruit.
Problems arrive later once a few parts of the fruit have been eat. For some it will jut cause little troubles or no troubles at all, while for others it can cause huge troubles.

Hence the reason its better that this kind of fruits are forbidden by the law.