A Contemplation on Hero Races and Lackluster Sales

Yeah, I would take anything I say with a grain of salt. I’m pretty disillusioned right now.

What it boils down to for me is that I originally got into this game because:

1. It was Steve’s company and I’ve been a fan since Warlords. I loved PQ.
  2. This was a F2P game that wasn’t made like a F2P at all.

Unfortunately, #2 seems to be drying up. Even though there’s no pay wall or the like, the game has become increasingly focused on quantity rather than quality, like pretty much every other F2P game out there.

I’ve given them almost $200. That’s as much as I’ve given Ubisoft for their last 4 AAA games combined.

I’m not saying they’re rolling in dough but painting them as downtrodden is disingenuous at best.

And for the record, I’m not talking about server issues or other things that cost money. I’m talking about the decision making that goes into releasing the latest nuclear missile that further removes player agency and thinking from the game.

1 Like

My question was primarily facetious; I’m not arguing that they’re broke. I’ve read most of your threads, comments, etc., and have pretty good idea what your issues are. On some of them I even agree with you. Sometimes, though, you sound so down on the game I’m not sure anything the devs can do would please you, because no matter what they did, it wouldn’t be enough.

1 Like

Absolutely fair. :+1: I am that down on the game right now.

But I can tell you there’s a couple of things they could do that would re-spark my interest:

1. Give me something to buy with the several hundred thousand souls I have.
  2. Give me a way to target troops I’m missing without giving me a chance to get something I already have (I’m looking at you Path to Glory).
1 Like

We’re discussing ways to increase interest in real $$$ sales. The “negativity” is a big reason things aren’t selling so they’re definitely valid concerns.

I know we are going a bit off topic here but I felt compelled to respond.

I agree with @htismaqe on pretty much everything here. I was attracted to the strategy offered by the game. I enjoyed a long match that I had to carefully plan for.
Once the PvP mechanic became more matches = higher leaderboard (which I admit I don’t what else it COULD BE) but once that happened and I reached a point where I could get involved in it. It became SPEED over Strategy.

I don’t know what the solution is. I PvP because I want to earn Trophies for my Guild that’s it. The gold is nice, but I can speed farm gold with my Bombot team. So… I would love to see a new way to earn Trophies. I know Arena is available, but it does not provide the ROI that I can make with oh say, a GARD TEAM in PvP!

But from that point on it has felt more like mass quantity content distribution. I love the new troops don’t get me wrong, but I know people have been asking for new play modes for a loooong time… just my two cents. :wink:

1 Like

It isn’t. It’s called preclusion. There’s nothing they can offer right now to sell cosmetic items because there’s too many other issues.

If you don’t think that’s relevant to the question at hand, I don’t know what to tell you.

Seriously, HK. You of all people are going to complain about derailing threads? Should I post my thoughts as memes, would that be more acceptable?

How about this, I’ll stop complaining when the Devs one way or another acknowledge the complaints.

Wait @HKdirewolf don’t leave! I told @htismaqe he could pet a cute kitty to make him feel better!!! :anguished:

1 Like

Thank you. I feel much better now. I’ll stop.

Oh and @HKdirewolf, I’m sorry. :pray:

For me the solution is quite simple: Quit PVP and do Explore mode with weaker teams, so matches last longer and you can still use your strategy portion.

I don’t really care about the gold loss. No gold in the world can replace a potential loss of enjoyment in this game.

Thing is… who of you wants to do that? Probably no one. PVP offers just too much gold to renounce it.

Edit: Please do not respond to this post. We’ve just brought the train back on track :wink:

2 Likes

In an attempt to salvage the thread: for those of you just joining. After the OP, I posed these questions. Please answer them in an attempt to generate some consumer opinion date that might be useful for the devs. THANKS!!

It’s partially #2. There’s so little to do in the game now that the only appeal is possibly collecting the few remaining things I don’t have. It’s more of a resignation than anything else. But the criticism is certainly fair. And the drawback to having already spent so much money on the game is that it almost feels like an obligation to keep playing or I’m not getting my return on investment.

Number 3 was a low blow and completely unnecessary, BTW.

I would like more races too, the ones presented are just not very interesting to me.
I still wish to spend some cash in the game here and there, i bought the Sun and Moon pack because i wanted it and not because it was needed or something and some people are interested in different races as well.

Bonus for certain races could be something and the race not entirely tied to the traits of some classes, being a Wargare Necromancer that gives you an Undead bonus and works in teams with Wulfgarok for example would be a welcome boost.

Just saying if I saw a dumpster fire, I wouldn’t just walk by it and toss $50 into it. According to you that’s what this game is.

1 Like

In all seriousness I can understand @htismaqe’s issues (though I’m only getting one side of the argument since someone’s cough cough posts appear to be missing). I still like GoW and feel it is easily the best Match-3 game out there that I’ve played but the feeling that the devs aren’t focused on the pain points of most players is very frustrating. The devs are personable and available and seem like nice people but at the end of the day, they’re providing a product and after awhile, if that product feels like it’s morphing into something other than what you thought it was or was going to continue to be, that can be frustrating. Combine that with the bugs and missing features that seem to just grow month after month and it can make for some sour moods.

Not that there’s some easy, magic fix that the devs are just avoiding; running a business and managing all the aspects of it can be really hard and I’d imagine doubly so when you’re dealing with hundreds of thousands of players many of which who have different ideas about what the game should be and where the devs should focus their attention. I do not envy them but my sympathies do not equate to me holding my wallet open indefinitely while they try to figure it out. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’d pay for a cowbell accessory.

4 Likes

Just saying when people are creating threads to help shape and mold this game because they actually ENJOY it, it doesn’t help when someone comes in and says, “this game blows it’s not worth spending your money.”

“I know you’re enjoying the game and see a future in it, but I don’t so FK off.”

Nah that doesn’t sit well with me.

When you post on every thread essentially “this game sucks, this game sucks, this game sucks,” yeah it’s old now.

This doesn’t go without saying negative criticism is needed to move the game forward as well. But this is going beyond that now.

And of course this is an open forum so people can say whatever they wish, I’m merely saying i’m over it.

When I reach the point that any form of positive outlook on the forum leaves a vile taste in my mouth, i’ll leave this game and forum. I won’t stick around to try and sour everyone else’s outlook on the game. Life is too short to be that bored with something.

Also I don’t want Htismaqe to feel like i’m just trying to single you out here. You’re certainly not the only one this applies to nor are you the worst one. Just please try to bring something else to the table other than this game sucks or this game needs to give me a prize.

3 Likes