5.3 Update

They once had pop ups for offers for kingdom bundles that showed up periodically throughout the day before they revamped the system. They were excessively invasive because you’d end up tapping it (and they only popped up when you were going between menus) and easily accidentally buying it if you weren’t paying attention and/or slow to react. It was already a thing. They’d probably do it again too if they weren’t making one Gems of War setup for most platforms.

Same with ads for sigils, consoles prevent that being a game limiter. We don’t get the ads for resources option as is.

They’re still doing the last suggestion you brought up.

So yeah, we’re already at that point.

At the very end of whatever “list” is being maintained. This is designed to punish us silly people who refuse to buy elite (lol) pa$$es and encourage us to learn from our mistake so we get in line to spend our $10 rather than wait now that we know how long it’s going to take.

They could at least throw us a bone with the mythics and rotate in the relevant Kingdom a month after the troop is finally dumped to chests or something so we can burn Event Keys trying to get it vs potentially waiting 4 months for the Soulforge.

1 Like

How long would it take you now as a starting player to reach a near-complete collection, though? Do you think it would still be two years? The amount of things to catch up with has increased dramatically…

I think it’s fair to say that getting full completion for a brand new player is pretty tough at this point. But I’m still not at full completion after being two years in and given how the campaign mythics are releasing and how I only spend keys for new mythic weeks, I can’t see myself maxing my account for at least another year. I do have all craftable weapons and both boss troops with power orbs to spare though. I also had all top craftable mythics (from my personal top list of mythics) within a year. Zuul was achieved in less than a year and enraged was also in less than a year.

Full Maxing of an account as F2P is probably not possible and I would go as far as to say my current account will never have all troops at once. Does this affect progression in anyway? No, it doesn’t. I have all the best troops and can get every new mythic. Even the campaign mythics I can save the diamonds for specifically for those if need be. Sure some super maxed accounts will get a few more skill points than myself, but let’s be honest, skill points are pretty trivial once you reach a certain point. If you are a P2W this is possible but would require more money and time than it’s worth.

Being a productive member of a high end guild with high reqs as a F2P is very achievable with proper guidance and optimization. Conserve gem spending, and target specific mythics/weapons from the soulforge in your first few months/year. After crating or pulling the top mythics you want, along with key weapons, you can focus on crafting either mythics or old weapons for collection purposes. i’ve helped many new players reach a point where they are productive in a high end guild in just a few months time, even without most of the resources an extreme endgamer has. A P2W player can get there even faster by buying the right things. It doesn’t require years to be competitive, it just requires knowing how to build your account to complete events/delves at the highest levels as quickly as possible. The rest comes with time.

I’m aware not all kingdoms are on a perfect 34 week cycle(see pridelands or Drak-Zum before that) but it’s in that range. So usually you’ll be able to get most weapons in that next year, this is exactly what I did and crafted all weapons. If I hadn’t done that I probably could have gotten all mythics to round out my collection instead.

For the sake of this argument let’s take a hypothetical look at the time to complete all categories vs. time to complete the meaningful things in those categories.

All Mythics or essentially all troops in the game: Probably never if we are being honest lol. Forge cycle is too long, and drop rate isn’t high enough for keys. Once you hit around 50% or so, pulling a random mythic you don’t have just gets harder and harder and it’s better to save keys for a new mythic. Time: Never, lol

Quality Mythics: There are less than 10 top mythics in my opinion. In fact I could narrow that list down to less if we are really optimizing things. Assuming the meta doesn’t shift a whole lot in a year, getting those 10 or so specific mythics shouldn’t take years. I know a few 2020 starters who have a good portion of the quality mythics(including zuul already). Time: 12-18 months

Boss Troops: One player in our network got their zuul in less than 8 months from starting. That is super fast and I wouldn’t consider this reasonable for most. But it is very reasonable in a year of active playing. My proof is my brother and I got both boss troops in about a years time for each. The only luck part was pulling heart of rage, something a new player with have two years to get. Now with power orbs being in the drop table for major orbs, this time will be cut even more. Time: 8-12 months

All Weapons: Unless you plan on paying for weapons, you’ll probably never get them all in a reasonable timeframe, and almost certainly won’t get them all maxed cause of the doom scroll issue. Time: 3-5 years

Quality Weapons: This one, much like the quality mythics can be targeted ahead of time using taransworld to see what kingdoms are coming up and saving for the viable weapons. The factions on a less than 34 week cycle so you will see the same faction come up at least twice if not 3 times in a single year so you shouldn’t miss out on faction weapons. Doom converters and Tomes will be hard your main targets along with big hitters like earth’s fury, yasmine’s pride and rope dart. This took me less than a year back in 2019, but I suspect to get all the quality weapons it’s gonna take just a little over that amount now. But reasonable. Time: 12-18 months

Completing all delves 500(non pure): This one is a tough one cause you are limited by daily sigils. If you utilize the tuesday faction event this will knock down the time to all factions to 500 but will still require a solid year plus. I’m not even considering pure faction…yet. Time: 12-18 months

Pure Faction 500: A year ago I would have said the average player would take 5 years to complete them all to 500 pure. After seeing players optimize their runs, gem sink events, and create very useful guides and teams, I would say this is doable for those highly focused on it. If this is an actual player goal, than less than 3 years is likely. I’m 2 years in, and still have about half of the delves left to finish for 500, but if i spent my gems on tuesday events i would have completed it months ago. I also know players who played less than a year finish this task. Time: 18-36 months

Non Cosmetic pets: This is def one that will be tough to obtain unless you are in a highly active guild that does pvp or arena a lot. It requires tons of luck and tons of time to play at all hours when a pet pops up. I caught up on pets pretty quickly in my first year, but now it’s been a grind to find a pet I haven’t maxed. I choose not to take the daily pet offers but that is one way to reduce the time for this one. Time: Never, unless you mythic all new pets instantly.

Cosmetic pets: This one will take years to never lol. I have been maxing all new and old cosmetic pets since they started doing sat. pet rescues and my gem hoard allowed for it. I sacrificed a few new faction weekend 500 runs to do it but for me it was worth it. I’ll eventually get around to pure 500 on those delves, but an old cosmetic pet may take literal years to come back, if they ever do. Time: 5 years to never.

Power Level/Kingdom Level: I’m bundling these two together since they are the same type of progression system in my mind. Power level 30 and Kingdom level 20 may actually be listed in the game, but they are FAR from possible. By the time a player does catch up, I’m sure the bar will have been moved again. But on the flipside, things will start to become more available such as book of deeds. This was never meant to truly be maxed but hitting the current caps probably requires more time than a new player would want to invest for this specific goal considering the things needed for it. Time: 3-5 years

Recap: Some things will take years, but those things are already taking years or may never be fully completed. Getting most of the quality mythics/weapons/boss troops/factions done will require less than 2 years. It takes time and effort don’t get me wrong, but if you wanted a game you could complete in a few weeks or a month go play a Triple AAA game instead (I still do). I will admit some things are def harder now for a newer player to get maxed, but getting the things you need to succeed across the board really hasn’t.

TL:DR: New player can catch up in about 2 years with high activity for most collections. Some things will never be maxed, even for current accounts.

3 Likes

I get a kick outta all the players that think Skeleton Key nerf was okay. Sure there are other Gold farm options: Plunder and Peril, Bronzelock Pistol, whatnot…surely GoW would never think of nerfing Blue Mana weapons, or Elf or Fey classes.

What these player don’t realize, what they can’t possibly understand, is that for the past two and a half days, I have been downloading Middle-Earth, Shadow of War, and soon I will amass an army worthy of Chunky’s Horde. And then, after I conquer World of Tanks for destroying that game, where next will I turn my attentions? Gems of War, or all of Krystara.

We shall see who has the last laugh. Blades of Galadriel has finished. Desolation of Mordor is at 38% (I gotta get a better Intersweb). Soon my precious. Soon. For who’s Horde? For my Horde. :axe::rage::shield:

I do hope the game is good, but it was reduced to $9 US, so I took a chance. And in the end, it isn’t me the Blue Mana users should fear. It is the devs. Now that the devs came after me and nerfed my favorite weapon, who now is there to protect the Elvses as the devs come for them. It will be a dark winter indeed.

3 Likes

lol, I actually loved both the Middle-Earth games! Great series!

As for the key nerf I can understand why players would be upset. In fact according to gowdb.com I probably have one of the highest amount of battles in pvp with key team of alltime at over 40k. So I can understand the love of key team.

Invasion|658x500

After Pvp got to an annoying spot I started searching for stronger teams to crush t3, especially after the gold nerf to T1. I found one and in fact there are bunch of good t3 teams to play fast with a good win rate. Higher win rate = higher gold. I have dozens of hour runs with key team and they don’t beat my current gold per hour runs. I can top out at around 400-450k per hour gold in pvp with a good loop. I usually only play 15-20 min at a time but it’s a solid amount of gold for a F2P player.

In explore 12 key team was great with double cedric but it was boring and there are faster teams to increase your wins per hour and get very close if not surpass the gold accumulation of key team.

So yes, it was a great team, but with the beefed up stats of pvp now and increased amount of higher level options for explore 9-12 speed running, key team is just not as useful as it once was.

It was a fantastic team and I loved it, but I am still ok with the nerf. There is a difference between between okay, and being happy. It was a balance change, not all players are going to like the buffs/nerfs. Inevitably favorite teams are going to get busted. My suggestion, even for new players is to work toward some of the better meta teams that are just as fast and almost, if not more gold.

RIP Key Team- I loved you, and i’ll miss you. May you frolick with Dragon’s Eye in the fields of the weapon afterlife.

5 Likes

After this update, I wish you to receive a salary in rings, and an award in crowns :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

such as? (10)

1 Like

When it comes to explore 12 you should be focused on the fastest team not the team that makes the most gold per battle. Focus on medals and the gold will come too.

2 Likes

Absolutely a terrible move. Any long-time player has to look at this as being intentionally disrespectful to them (unless you believe the devs are completely oblivious to the value of banners and teams slots).

Let’s also not forget, adding yet another currency is exactly what this game needed right? These warbands could have simply just cost some number of gems. Every minute spent on coding and testing coins could have been spent fixing something that actually matters, like problems with weapon affixes, medals, etc…

12 Likes

Spoiler Alert !
A new interface is coming to us with the next patch:

:wink:

1 Like

I have version 5.3.0r25703. I just used a VIP key and I still got traitstones, so that change either didn’t take or hasn’t gotten to everyone yet.

It’s just a bonus now. Prior to the update you would get Traitstones instead of Troops. Now you got troops and Traitstones.

5 Likes

Ah. Then I misread and misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

I thought we were getting war coins on the calendar to replace the maps??? It’s a new year and a new calendar, but the maps are still there.

They’ve finally made reasonable rewards for watching ads… Now it makes sense at last. However the overall prices of the in-game purchases for real money or for gems are still ways too high. Just saw that the usual price requested to buy a keys bundle “typhoon of keys” is over 25o$ (it is sold with a supposedly 6o% discount). This is basically a monthly salary in some areas. Get yourself a bunch of keys (which btw is not that great of a deal considering quality and amount of keys in the bundle) and starve to death.
Same issue goes for many other offers which are simply unreasonable. Here are couple examples: 3oo gems for 75k gold (??? Really???); 5oo gems for 25 gems of each colour (sapphires, etc); 5$ (supposedly discount 8o% making it a total of around 27$) for mini VIP pack (5k gold, 5oo souls, 2 VIP keys and 25 VIP pts).
Overpriced. AF.
Don’t get me wrong, I like the game a lot and I’ve been playing it for years on my phone, PC, PS4 (btw is it still not possible to link your phone/PC account to your PS4 account?), but it is so frigging overpriced that it is discouraging. I’ve recently made my first purchase for real money - holiday offer of 1oo gems and 1 VIP key + 1o VIP pts. It wasn’t that expensive, but it still could have been about 2 times cheaper, considering that the resources offered are few and not rare at all.
Every time I think about this I end up with a question of “why don’t they get that if those prices were lower - the overall income of the GOW would have increased a lot for much more people would be able to buy these offers”. After all there is no such thing in GOW as inner market where players can trade between eachother, so this won’t affect the balance. Some might complain that “the game will become too easy”. If you want a challenge - participate in the events without buying any gem boosts (spoilers - it is still possible to get same or higher amount of points by the end of the week as those players who buy boosts, I’ve done this and not once).

So, I read this as somewhat encouraging.

My mind wandered off to a place where there were Seasonal Imp Warbands and Apocalypse Mythic Warbands. There was even a WB bundle that included Rope Dart… each priced absurdly high, of course… maybe, 1,000 War Coins, or whatever.

In this fantasy place, the devs even introduced War Coins as drops in Treasure Hunt… much like the random traitstone drop every fifteen moves, a War Coin would also drop.

Then, I snapped out of it.

4 Likes

I expected this from this month on, but there are still useless treasure maps. Bug?

I don’t understand how people see the text “day 6 of the new player login calendar” and confuse that with “days 4, 11, and 18 of the monthly login calendar”.

5 Likes

I know that I’d love to see it in the monthly calendar, or simply more often. But I wouldn’t call it a bug. More of an oversight, bad RNG, or a specific strategy to use FOMO to entice people to purchase warcoins with $$.

Meanwhile, I’m content with waiting. Confused, but content.