5.2 Update (Patch notes)

You can do much better, next time bring along a Baby Dragon or a Kobra!

2 Likes

The AI difficulty is dependent on your server and time of day. Youā€™ll never see too easy or too hard for too long either way. So enjoy easy mode while you have it.

1 Like

Is it just the weekend that you start with one victory if you are VIP level 4 or above or all the time? Mine did not start with a victory.

All the time. Mine worked. I am only playing 5 battles for 50 trophies.

Update is being forced out already.
Interesting to see if that means we get an arena event this weekend as well as the bounty.
Usually they give more time for folks to update when they want to, but thatā€™s definitely not happening here.

1 Like

If the third offer generated by an arena win were guaranteed to be an imperial deed, it would improve MANY broken pieces of the game:

-RNG deed scarcity/frustration/bottleneck
-Writs can now be used to craft colored deeds and feed into books eventually
-Faction hoard bonuses are now attainable
-Gigantic gem sink. Players can spend 450 gems on an imperial deed every single day, if they want to, or ignore it if they prefer the gems.
-Players will actually want to play arena

One problem with the new arena is that the daily offers just arenā€™t useful for lategame players, so thereā€™s no real payout at the end.

3 Likes

Looking at the new thumbnail I canā€™t help but think it was inspired by a players reaction to the new arena.

Yeah more Arena, my least favorite mode in this game.

Just in case anyone is still collating feedbackā€¦

Iā€™m disappointed. I was hoping an arena ā€œrevampā€ would be more significant, not just minor changes. And Iā€™m sad because it looks like the devs consider the arena done now and so itā€™s unlikely it will be revisited again. So many missed opportunities :frowning:

I did 5 successful runs, 1 failed and 1 I gave up on. I found it about as much fun as before the changes. I like the daily deals at the end, they at least have a slim chance of being useful, unlike the old troop offer. And I like the fewer wins required, the less I have to play the better.

I like being able to see the team as itā€™s being built, but that really doesnā€™t change a whole lot - I previously had to remember what troop I picked, but I could manage that. It would be MUCH more useful if we could see all the choices before having to start picking troops, then weā€™d at least have a chance to pick troops that might work together. Iā€™d also like to see more choices.

In theory, I donā€™t mind the hero being removed, I understand the reasoning behind it. But it just changed the strategy from ā€œfill up hero, cast as much as possibleā€ to ā€œfill up most effective troop, maybe two, then cast as much as possibleā€.

9 Likes

The AI is always bad to me. Look at thisā€¦

My first move was to match the skulls ā€“ I should have matched the yellow at the top, but I skipped it because I have no yellow troops, and matching them could have brought more skulls down that I wouldnā€™t have been able to handle. Unfortunately, my skull match gave the AI a Brown 4-match. Unavoidable without matching the skulls on my end though.

Once the AI has Terraxis filled, it proceeds to cast it, dealing 10 damage to all of my troops. In doing so, it ignored the skull match on the board, it set up a brown 4 match for me, and it didnā€™t kill any of my troops. Youā€™ll notice I again ignored the 4-match and went for the skulls. This was an error on my part ā€“ I could have done the match and then done the skulls.

Nonetheless, the AI makes a 5-match with brown which fills Dwarven Hunter. The AI takes out my Satyr. It could have killed any of the troops above Satyr, but it took out the most useless one. Awesome.

Nowā€¦ youā€™ll notice Iā€™m matching purple gems a bit here. Uh, I have no idea why. I have no purple troops. Maybe Iā€™m the bad one.

I get a skull match and kill the first enemy. The AI has filled Dwarven Hunter again. It can deal TEN damage. My top troop has EIGHT health. My second troop has SEVEN health.

8 < 10
7 < 10

My last troop has 11 health. Which troop of mine will the AI target? It targets my last troop. Of course.

I could make the next skull match and kill the second enemy troop with it, but the enemy has 6 health and is burning. Instead I cast my Merknight, destroying the 3 skulls, gaining some life and barrier, AND killing the enemy.

Lolā€¦ AGAIN I matched purple AND gave the AI a skull match. Itā€™s okay, my first troop has Barrier. Yep, AI matched the skulls against my barrier. I mean, I guess it had to, because otherwise I would have done that next turn.

Okayā€¦ now. The enemy has another Dwarven Hunter shot and a Lion Prince charge (destroy a row, deal damage to first 2 enemies, boosted by yellow gems).

It could use Lion Prince on the row with the doomskull, skull, and two yellow gems. That would deal 9 damage to my first troop just from the gems. Okay, letā€™s see what it doesā€¦

Oh, it targets my first troop, that has 18 health, with Dwarven Hunter, instead. So it could have killed either of my next two troops ā€“ you know, the ones that do damage, or it could have killed BOTH of my first two troops, but instead it kills neither of them.

Alright, NOW it uses Lion Prince, which kills my first two troops. Except, it targeted the bottom row, instead of the doomskull rowā€¦ which ended up giving me a skull match. Except my Epic troop, Raven, is awesome, because he deals 10 damage and then gains an extra turn and 9 (out of 10) mana back if it kills the enemy. That means I can kill the first enemy for free, THEN skull match against the last enemy. And I won the skull and mana race.

So even when I played HORRIBLY, matching colors I didnā€™t even use, skipping 4+ matches, the AI still lost. It has no sense of what troops are better targets than the others. It has no sense of what things on the board it should remove. Itā€™s justā€¦ not programmed at all, it seems.

1 Like

You know, if you delete this post now, the devs may not have had a chance to see this yet lol.

All kidding aside bad AI is a fantastic thing In arena. The player should praise stupid AI. Im not a programmer by any stretch but my guess is they donā€™t have a very complicated AI program. It relies on a lot of RNG mechanics like the rest of gems when it comes to order of operations, targeting, and skill/skull switch usage. If it played smart we would all be done for. Fair and balanced does not equal fun.

If anything you just proved the player always has an advantage which pokes a hole in the ā€œAI cheats!!ā€ theory.

Great breakdown @igniteice. You should do a pure faction or GW battle breakdown sometime!

1 Like

Iā€™m getting a graphics glitch in various places, after updating to 5.2 in iOS (ipad and iphone).

Tried different options (on/off VPN, hard reset device, uninstall/re-install the game, download all assets, change all in-game gpraphics options)) but NOTHING HAPPENED. Still the same UGLY glitch.

Does anybody have the same issue, and is there a way to fix it ?

1 Like

I also have this issue on my iPhone. Have attempted (1) downloading all assets and (2) restarting game. Was going to continue trying things, but it sounds like youā€™ve already done most of what I would have.

I know. itā€™s so irritating, to see this one ugly brown color all around !!

Iā€™ve had that same brown background for the viper delve room for months. Now itā€™s everywhere.

Here in classes map too.

Possibly noteworthy: this didnā€™t happen as soon as I updated to 5.2, which suggests itā€™s due to a later data push. Which may mean it can be fixed before 5.2.5 or 5.3.

2 Likes

I think it would be cool if you could earn Tokens or Troop cards (for newbies) or Writs or something else for playing Arena.

The lack of Hero XP really does need to be made up for, somehow, and Trophies just donā€™t really cut the mustard (being earned from pretty much every other part of the game, and having very marginal, long-term benefits).

The other rewards from Arena, not counting Arena of Valor, can all be earned in other places at least as efficiently, if not more so. It just seems like itā€™s lacking a main draw card, aside from that occasional Orb of Chaos etc. from the Arena Events.

3 Likes

Probably worth posting a bug report. Last update, Android users had issues with troop art assets not loading and the Devs fixed it, hopefully they can do the same for you

2 Likes

Can you direct me to where I go, a link maybe ? TIA.

I have opened a support ticket, but I doubt they saw it yet.

I posted it in the beta testing channel, so it should be on the devsā€™ radar soon. (I know 5.2 is no longer in beta, but this is still a bug with 5.2ā€”Iā€™m calling it a legit use of my beta tester powers.)

3 Likes

Would be great if you could bring this in, have race name tags over each the classes in the overview menu when we choose which classes to go with. Yesterday I spent at least 5 minutes just to find the Raksha classā€¦

3 Likes