4.7.5 Update

This is not uncommon, also region dependent.
The solution is as simple as it is unsatisfying: just wait a few hours, up to a day.

No 4.7.6 update available for iOS and game will not open without it.

1 Like

Can confirm itā€™s not live on iOS yet.

3 Likes

Beg to differ here. When hitting ā€œquitā€ or back button previously, the option from Gems of War to leave the game appeared. It even cajoled us to play just one more match. We could then choose to quit. Android users simply can no longer quit properly, though we can stop the game after several taps.

1 Like

This answer not only falsely describes the previous behavior of the Android client under 4.7.0, it contradicts published Google Play app requirements, and is grounds for customers to petition Google to remove it from the Play Store until devs comply with mandatary Google Play specs.

The fact that you people think you can leave your client sitting in my phoneā€™s memory indefinitely, freely burning up my valuable battery time, is nothing short of incompetent. We pointed this out to you when the 4.7 patch launched, and your teamā€™s response was to do the one thing that actually makes it worse.

3 Likes

what was wrong about the Quit buttonā€¦?
the ppl are asking u to bring it backā€¦ instead of, u are trying to convince us, we donā€™t need itā€¦
have u broken it and donā€™t know how to fix it, or whatā€™s the reasonā€¦?

2 Likes

My android is shows Gems as having 0 battery usage in the background. It might take up RAM, but as far as I can see itā€™s not using battery.

I never clear any apps out of the memory and get 4-6 screen time on my 2 year old OnePlus 6 phone.

Do you have it set as this?

Which arenā€™t the default options.

See this old thread:

(excerpt from full post, canā€™t quote full post without breaking quote)

I reported it. You can report it too by visiting the Gems of War Google Play Store Page, clicking the three dots in the top right, click on Flag as inappropriate, select ā€œOther objectionā€ and then I wrote: ā€œThe game does not let me quit or close the application from within the game as of latest update.ā€

1 Like

Mine looks like this:

how did the crashes manifest themselvesā€¦?
asking, coz i never got any problems using the quit button (or osā€™ back button), nor saw any errors, which could be an evidence of a crashā€¦

now, pls, go back to the battery usage and check if GoW, after swiping it off, rly got stoppedā€¦
mine, on auto-control, was still running (and using like 15% of power)ā€¦ unlike e.g. discord, which did rly stopā€¦

You can see it says ā€œactive for 0 minutesā€ in the background. I donā€™t swipe away or force close apps.

so how do u close itā€¦? if u are not using the method recommended by Kafkaā€¦?

I press home to switch out the app which leaves it open in the background where, as far as I can tell, it is suspended and has no impact on battery life. I trust the OS to manage the RAM and battery and close apps if need be.

if it works for u, iā€™m fine with itā€¦ but it did not work for meā€¦

Right. Your setting your ummā€¦ settings to operate in that fashion. Which is not the default option.
Otherwise itā€™ll drain in the background.
Which was my point in the first place.
So either you force close the game. Which I guess the devs want you to do? :thinking:
Or you configure your phone to not use resources when itā€™s being used in the background.
I did that, and when I came back to the game I was greeted with a nice little error pop up. Lol
Iā€™ll try to SS it next time. Then Iā€™m going back to force quitting it. Which 3 years ago when I first started playing on my phone. Was the only option. Which basically says a lot about the direction of the game. Itā€™s moving backwards instead of forwards. :man_shrugging:

Iā€™m using the default setting, always have. Iā€™ve not had an issue with the Gems app using resources while running in the background.

So many different phones on Android of course, I can only speak to my own experience.

Power management on any Android phone is at the discretion of the OEM. Itā€™s one of the reasons why major Android releases take time to be made available for a particular model phone, or might never be made available at all. On many phones running Android 7.0+, the ā€œrestricted battery usageā€ setting will have no effect, because the phoneā€™s OEM chose not to implement it. For devs to try to assert this to be the immediate solution to the problem is as nonsensical as having removed the QUIT button to begin with.

I am using an LG G7 ThinQ, and on my otherwise-idle phone, the battery will deplete at approx. 15%/hour with the GoW client in the background, and the only way for me to prevent that is to force-close the client.

2 Likes