Troop Buff A-H Thread With Summary

I’ve always disliked the Imps. I used Summer because it had a mini event attached at the time and Webspinner was good enough to win with no other troops on the team anyway. Never used any Imp since.

I think giving them +2 magic instead of +1 magic would go a long way to making them viable, but something else has to be done.

There’s also a very strong example of ‘not all are equal’ in there - hey, another resemblance to the Guild Guardians! - i.e. Entangling all enemies is probably better than destroying 10 gems or creating 7 red gems, and Spooky Imp costs 2 more mana and does 1 more damage …

Autumn could literally do 1 or 2 or 3 damage to all enemies per Brown destroyed, in addition to current effects - and still be underpowered. I think the magic gain on kill should be culled simply to make room for more interesting effects in the text field (for all of them).

1 Like

I voted on a few more polls, as far as the end of G… H is for Hag next time I find time to vote!

For another verdict / idea:

AZIRIS

• so he’s, yeah, rubbish
  • for one thing, either he or Skeleros needs to change colours! They’re far too similar
  • his spell was almost useful when it refunded its mana cost when there were 10 purples
  • now it needs 13, which ain’t gonna happen
  • targeted skull creation should be useful, but in practice just isn’t worth the slot in the team
  • his current value only extends to (1) useful traits with Magic Link and Necromancy, and (2) comedy value when the AI casts him
  • rework as follows
  • spell to cost say 12 mana and change target gem into a skull plus create 5 more skulls, and for each purple gem on the board, regain 1 mana
  • traits can be left as they are

AZIRIS: id remake his spell (or no idea how buff it) but keep the traits

About Aziris, I disagree. He doesn’t need changed. He’s there for those of us who like taking a junk card and making him shine (those players exist too you know). Not every card needs to be playable.

For reference:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/when-cards-go-bad-2002-01-28
And
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/when-cards-go-bad-revisited-2012-10-22

His column is an excellent resource on design

2 Likes

I have mixed views on this… I think all cards Epic and above should be playable… lower tier stuff can be chaff for the gacha game, and the more common the more chaffy…

(I’d also add that Magic isn’t that suited as a comparison to this game, given it has thousands more cards, far greater complexity, bigger decks, true PVP strategising and counters, and so on)

I do also look for consistency and balance: cards of the same rarity should be broadly equivalent in power: just compare Korvash’s spell and Moloch’s spell for a joke example.

Most of all I hope for variety - and a degree of protection from the mindless occasional broken states that come from too much powercreep. Hence we have a thread suggesting buffs to little-used troops.

EDIT: also pinging @Ashasekayi in the hope she’ll find time to update the links and summaries above.
(apologies if @Ashasekayi isn’t a she!)

I mostly agree with you, @Jainus, it’s just that I wouldn’t change a card just because it is possible, and in the case of Aziris I don’t agree he is unplayable.

1 Like

No need for pings. I was busy in RL this weekend. I always get back to the summary when I get free time in my day.

And yes, I’m a she. :smiley_cat:

My opinion for the next list of troops is leave them as they are. All up to Blast Canon.
Blast canon really needs some love. Maybe doing double damage to what he does now would be good.

Reminder:
The next troop is BABY DRAGON.

I expressed my self for all the troops up to blast canon. None of those should be changed, they all fit their roles very good.
After blast canon comes boar rider which another troop that received its amounts of rebalancing (read nerfing) and is in a very good spot now.
As for bombardier I think he should be reworked completely.

And I might as well finish my opinions on the remaining B troops:
Bombot- perfect, leave it untouched.
Bone dragon- slight nerf shoudo happen probably. Probably smaller scaling or- making numbers of skulls created a flat amount (7 to 9 probably) but giving him gain half of destroyed armor+BD’s magic. He will become more of a tank then a nuke. And he would still remain armor spreading troop.
Bonnie- recently released, works nice no change needed
Borealis- he got a buff recently, still not strong enough for a leyendary. What he should do is- do double damage if the enemy is already frozen> freeze all enemies.
Brian the lucky- he could use a tone down on his mana cost. 12 would be a lot better number.
Bultauros- I guess leave it
Bunni- he is a specific counter to Knights. And while he is strong against them, lots of other troops can do the same while being viable against all the others troops as well. He needs a buff and a decent one while at it.

2 Likes

Bombardier is actually one of the better rares in Arena I think. I don’t see a need to change that one either.

Baby dragon.
I guess it’s fine.
Just he shouldn’t transform himself in to baby dragon or egg.

Some more…

BABY DRAGON

• I actually think its spell is too cheap, as it will likely replace him with a far stronger troop
  • and has a side-effect of a full heal and cleanse
  • so I’d say add +1 or +2 to that 8 mana cost

BANSHEE

• a nice troop and seems mostly okay for a Rare
  • still useful in combos
  • could maybe get a bit more damage in the end game - say +2 magic stats in the final ascensions and levels

BARBEARIUS

• exceedingly daft name
  • recently buffed in the MW rework
  • and seems fine to me

BASTITE PRIESTESS

• I hate this art, too cartoony
  • traits might be fine, but can’t see anyone ever using this
  • that spell is utter rubbish, and does almost nothing for its fairly high cost
  • the skulls change is super situational (only one way to set this up yourself, using the mummy king which is also rubbish) - and even if you have a deathmark on you, the chance of yellows → skulls being worth doing seems very low
  • so needs a complete rework methinks
  • how about: cost 10 mana: select a green or yellow gem: if green, change all greens to purple; if yellow, change all yellow gems to skulls
  • if we want a link to deathmark we could add +2 mana cost and say: for each deathmarked ally, cleanse them and create 3 random skulls on the board

BEHEMOTH

• has been buffed a few times and broadly kept up with power creep
  • gets a lot of use because of Impervious
  • I have a couple of complaints though (of course)
  • (1) it should be BIGGER, i.e. its spell should hit harder for a higher cost (it’s the BEHEMOTH, ten times as big as a man, etc etc)
  • (2) would be nice if that life gain from the Immense trait had a scaling effect on the spell, i.e. change ‘destroy 10 gems’ to ‘destroy 5 gems, boosted by my Life (ratio 4:1)’ or something similar
2 Likes

Like the destroy gem ratio on Behemoth. Also 10 times as big as man is not that big, I always imagined him bigger.

Mmm four UR troops in a row…

BERSERKER

• I’m not sure anyone uses it much because of the randomness
  • but its stats can become pretty monstrous
  • I guess it can be a good pick in Arena
  • I’d leave it as it is

BLACK BEAST

• in theory can be very strong, with a summoner to provide devour fodder
  • making six skulls is a liability not a bonus though
  • either: boost skulls made up to say 8
  • or: give an extra turn, or a conditional extra turn, say 13+ greens on board, or:
  • my favourite: if it devours a Goblin, gain an extra turn

BLADE DANCER

• scales fairly well into end-game because of higher Armour on the other side
  • for an UR troop I think he’s decent enough, so leave as is

BLAST CANNON

• expensive in mana cost for what it does
  • the silence is fairly useless as you can’t aim it
  • and to me doesn’t fit at all - stun would fit better nowadays
  • assuming it’s made by the Dwarves, could have better synergy with them
  • for example, add: increase its damage for number of Dwarf allies (+3 per Dwarf)
  • Mech Slayer trait is worthless as (1) not many Mechs to target with it and (2) this isn’t a front row troop
  • Aflame is also worthless and doesn’t really fit
  • Sturdy, Dwarf Bond, Mech Bond, Armoured, Thick Head, many other things would go better

Agreed on Blast Cannon. Could even be Stun and Burn, don’t have a troop doing that yet.

I’m surprised, @Jainus. You’re well aware of the danger of scaling board effects, and why they’ve eliminated most, if not all, of them. It’s not like Immense is the only source of life gain, so it wouldn’t be hard for someone to hit the 236 life necessary to destroy the entire board. Even if you’re only accounting for immense, a looping team could do that, though it wouldn’t be very efficient, timewise. Sure, we’ve got a few exploders that clear most of the board, but they only get 70% of the mana.

Mmmm mixed views on that… if someone has time to build up to 236 Life, they’ve probably won the game already… you are right to draw attention to the risk - but I think such a thing can be managed - make it 6:1 or even 8:1 - also destroying the whole board (like exploding it) is a gamble and can hand a good board to the opponent…

2 Likes

Dragon Soul already does damage to all and explodes the board and we’ve not seen any serious complaints about that… shrug