Troop Buff A-H Thread With Summary

Sorry if i break order but i have a buff idea for black beast. It line with bone dragon’s way of using armour to create skulls, what if black beast created skulls based on 1:1 ratio of troops attack?

Way to many skulls lol.

Nope, in end game that creates just the same problem we have with Bone Dragon now!

1 Like

Is Bone Dragon the only gem/skull creator that still scales off a stat?

I don’t want to risk derailing this thread, but I can’t think of any current troops that create skulls or gems that scale off any stats expect for Bone Dragon.

I’m pretty sure they fixed all the other gem creators that scaled off any variable stat.

Not the same thing, but Cockatrice creates 6 Brown Gems with more based on mana drained (as of the MW update with Wulfgarok’s release). For about two hours it had a good enough ratio to worry me, it is since fixed.

I just checked, I think that’s the only other one.

While not quite the same Lil’ Johnny Bronze creates skulls scaling based on treasure maps collected. He’s one troop I’ve been wanting to play with, but don’t have him yet. 4 skulls per map… does that mean he has the potential to create up to 48 skulls? (maps are capped at 10 I believe, not counting cascades)

Also Tassarion creates gems based on Magic+3. But his is a one shot spell.

2 Likes

Some more…

BOAR RIDER
http://ashtender.com/gems/troops/6046

• not sure the Defender trait fits, thematically
  • but no reason to chance, and balance-wise is fine now

BOMBARDIER

• not great, but as a rare troop doesn’t need to be too good
  • could afford to hit a little harder, maybe +1 magic at some higher level
  • and make it 50% chance to burn

BOMBOT

• very powerful for a common
  • given that entirely cheesy farming teams are built around using this thing, it could probably be toned down and still be viable
  • suggest move it to 12 mana cost and explode 3 gems - which is technically a buff, but slows it down a bit
  • order of resolving the spell does need sorting, as it should destroy itself then explode gems, as it makes no sense for it to blocking brown mana when it self-destructs

BONE DRAGON

• enough said about this one in plenty of other threads
  • simply needs fixing and/or nerfing, the maths doesn’t work in the late game now
  • let’s focus on the troops that need buffing to help variety of builds

BONNIE ROSE

• don’t have much of a view on this one, have hardly used her
  • on paper looks like she could be over-powered
  • but the AI can’t use her correctly, and it’d be slow building her up as player combo unit
  • so probably fine as she is

BOREALIS

• got a little buff to its damage output the other day
  • but still not really any good
  • not much damage for that high mana cost
  • though the freeze all is potentially useful
  • but most decks would run Mab instead and soon have the enemies frozen (probably sooner)
  • suggest a rework to deal AoE damage based on half magic scaling, with 50% chance to freeze each enemy (ideally roll them separately)
  • as an aside, I think all AoE spells should be reworked to scale on Magic / 2, which would affect Behemoth and Atlanta above

Using Jhonir or any of the treasure map family members will raise the map cap to 20 :slight_smile:

My problem with Bonnie Rose is, well, mathematically… the amount you’d have to loop or use gold gaining troops in order to make her useful is enough to power basically any other more dangerous strategy, i.e. using Alchemist to get Gard going instead of Bonnie. Yeah I know, used a Mythic as the example, first thing I thought of.

1 Like

I’ve tried playing around with her a little bit, and you’re basically correct, you can build better teams. I found that it’s a bit of a trade off between taking gold gathering troops and taking Merchant troops to boost the maximum number of gold you can collect. With three Mech troops the cap raises to 175 gold, meaning she can potentially do 87/88 + Magic damage to a troop. But the issue is there are no really useful troops that have Merchant that work with her. Finley is probably the best.

There might be some synergy between Bonnie, Finley and Lil’Johnny Bronze, but I don’t have Johnny so I can’t play around with it. The idea being Johnny creates skulls for Finley to turn to red or blue mana, to fill Bonnie. Also Johnny has Greedy so that would help increase the gold income especially with Johnny’s and Finley’s abilities hopefully making 4 matches.

I think Bonnie is fun to play, but as @Shimrra said, if you’re only looking for power in a team, she can be replaced by a number of other troops quite easily.

EDIT: In terms of Mathematically, Bonnie’s ability gains 26 gold when paired with 3 Merch troops. The Merch bonus also affects the gold gained from 4/5-of-a-kind matches.

With Borealis, he should have “deal double dmg if the enemy is frozen” attached to the beginning of his spell. Might make him a bit more viable.

3 Likes

Reminder:
The next troop is CARNEX.

1 Like

I think Carnex should have a reworked spell. But I kinda like his legendary trait. Maybe make better scaling for it too.

What if Carnex first created a number of skulls, then he explodes all the skulls?

For example: create 5-7 skulls randomly on the board, then explode all skulls. This way skulls combos might come up damaging the enemy team, before he explodes all the skulls. And I also think his armor gain in his currently skill should be taken away if something like this was implemented. I think it would be really cool and most importantly, very unique! :slight_smile:

If the skill suggested above should arrive…maybe change his Legendary trait to Titanic Titanium: Gain Barrier upon skull matches. Maybe also change his mana cost to 16-17.

2 Likes

Carnex.
He needs rework.
Lazdy version. Increase armor gain to 12.

Celestiasa.
Ok troop. Just give her few more magic at higher levels.

Centaur Scout

• 2 magic and higher levels

Some more from me…

BRIAN THE LUCKY
http://ashtender.com/gems/troops/6092

• used to be fun, and part of a broken combo with Webspinner (back when Webspinner created gems based on Magic stat)
  • never seen nowadays, and left behind in the power creep race
  • buff as follows:
  • let his spell affect himself
  • drop mana cost to 10
  • now he has a small chance to buff his own Magic stat and then get out of control
  • but it’s never gonna be fast enough to break anything
  • also give him Armoured trait instead of Knight Bond

BUL’TAUROS

• interesting idea but has always been bit of a gimmick
  • funny that Rowanne got the buff of doubling her boost ratio but this dude didn’t
  • suggest we make him hit harder
  • change spell to mana cost 14, deal [Magic] damage to the first enemy and then deal split damage as per current spell, and add a chance to stun the first enemy
  • traits okay as is, though Frenzy doesn’t really fit as he shouldn’t be a front row troop - Centaur Bond would be better

BUNNI’NOG

• hilarious
  • but broadly rubbish
  • spell doesn’t do enough damage to Knights to be worth being rubbish at all other times
  • as a legendary, and a potential counter to Khorvash, needs a buff
  • make it triple damage to Knights
  • or double damage to Knights AND double damage to blue enemies, and push the mana cost to 16
  • the +4 Attack and Life buff is useless in the end game
  • suggest remove that bit, or make it +4 to all stats if the enemy dies
  • traits okay as is

CARNEX

• used to be one of the best legendaries
  • now left well behind in the power creep race
  • main problem is that the explosions spell doesn’t scale at all well, as there aren’t enough skulls on the board (whereas his partner Gorgotha isn’t limited in such a way, and scales just fine)
  • also a bit of an identity crisis on whether he’s a front row troop or a further back mana generator
  • that third trait is a cool idea, but not strong enough to be consistently scary
  • suggest fixes aren’t that onerous
  • change spell to explode random skulls or red gems
  • and also gain [Magic] Armour, rather than fixed at 8 - as at lower levels 8 is daft, higher levels it’s irrelevant - make it scale and be more apt at all levels
  • change third trait to add 50% of Armour to skull damage - that’s now a scary enough number, but easily managed down by hitting him
  • note that the high attack power is also less of a worry as he blocks purple, which blocks most good skull generators

CELESTASIA

• she’s not too bad, but that Life gain isn’t great at later levels
  • agree with @vidokas that she mainly just needs higher magic stat, and probably a +1/+2 on the base Life gain as well

CENTAUR SCOUT

• for a common, this dude isn’t bad
  • leave as it is, very many more troops that need work more seriously

CHIMERA

• not too bad this one, and very scary in arena
  • Arcane trait doesn’t make much sense thematically
  • I’d just tweak it so that the spell can be aimed, rather than hitting the strongest enemy
  • otherwise leave it as it is
3 Likes

Well here’s some more…

COCKATRICE

• was recently buffed and reworked
  • I was (briefly) concerned about that brown gem spamming and refilling itself
  • boost ratio should probably go to 5:1 not 4:1, it’s just a rare after all
  • otherwise fine

CORRUPT SORCERESS

• recent addition to the game and therefore stronger than most older troops
  • needs to do its spell in reverse order - summon then create red gems, else the reds get wasted - should create the Anointed One then fill it, to be actually effective
  • summons in general are pants, but the chance of summoning a fully traited Anointed One is pretty good
  • so fix the spell order, then leave her be

COUATL

• looks and sounds cool
  • in practice probably too random to be any use
  • more useful if the spell say cost a little more and did something else
  • make it cost 14 and also deal damage to something
  • or make it cost 13 and also pull a random enemy troop to the front of the line (the spell art looks similar to Dust Devil so a similar whirly effect would fit nicely)
  • traits fine

COURAGE

• I think is over-powered, especially the third trait, which should be +2/+2 not +3/+3
  • but this thread is for buffing ideas, so no more attention to Courage here
1 Like

What’s that suicidal dwarf? I’d love to see his spell “deal X damage and die gloriously. Has 20% chance to get X amount of glory. :wink: Can only be casted once (obviously)”

2 Likes

Going off-topic… that’s the Dwarven Slayer… Interestingly, like other ‘one shot’ spells like Great Maw and Tassarion, casting one Dwarven Slayer also blocks the spell for any other Dwarven Slayers in the team… probably it shouldn’t… noticed that when @sister put up a 4x Slayer team on defence for a while…

1 Like

I feel like Couatl should offer a cleanse all with the spell at the same cost. The troop probably still won’t see play, but we could use some more status removal options. Or, even at the same mana cost, a split damage spell based off magic to give some fear of it looping.

Courage - Needs a fix. I’d remove the Life Gain all together from the trait. Or, fix skull spam all together.

1 Like