Troop Buff A-H Thread With Summary

A bit late, but just had to give my idea about Alastair:
I agree with Don Bobas idea of not removing the purple, and maybe take away the scaled by 3:1 of purple gems on the board. Rather just add 2-3 more magic to him.
Also it would be nice if the barrier was given to the 1st ally, I often not prefer to use Alastair in
the first spot. So the barrier is not so useful atm then. Hes an epic after all. :grinning:

1 Like

@Jainus
So, we’ll have to break the list up a bit. There is also a 32,000 character limit on single posts. So, this thread will contain the current troops A - H.

Here are the polls:
Troops A - H Polls

3 Likes

Whoa that’s a lot of polls… :smiley: thanks for your hard work!

ANCIENT HORROR

• I like @killerman3333’s idea for his spell, though +6 to all may be too much, maybe +5 to all
  • don’t understand the choice of traits logic fully though
  • as he does get summoned, some survival trait would help, like Regeneration or Big

ANOINTED ONE

• I think his spell is fine as is - he has a clear identity / role, buffs himself well and can recharge himself
  • Traits though: Water Brand makes little sense to me and doesn’t help much, I’d rearrange traits to: Frenzy, Fast, Armoured
  • also, his spell needs re-naming as it’s also called Frenzy and is confusing vs the Frenzy trait - and duplication sucks imo - call it Blood Rage or Blood Fury or Pit Fury or Anointed Blade or anything else
6 Likes

I just answered all of those polls. Quite exhausting really.

There are a bunch where ‘buff it’ really just means ‘change one thing like a trait or something’ such as Drake Rider - who we know is perfectly viable but has garbage traits.

Seconded. I thought we made this clear when we got Darkstone but I guess not…

I got as far as Famine and gave up for RSI, for now…

Anubite warrior could summon the new mummy king instead of fortress gate. Because why is he summoning the gate in the first place???
And I agree there should be no changes on Anointed One (except for the mentioned spell name).
As for that matter I voted up for all the troops that have name which starts in A. Every further troop I’m the list after the ones we discussed, I vote to be left as they are now. Only azirs should be changed. I think he should get a guaranteed extra turn.

1 Like

I chose the traits based on his spell procing its buff, and keeping that magic link to fastcast the spell, and brought it all around with a bit of necromancy because you are killing things with its spell. I do agree +6 to all skills is a bit much so +5 seems good but not terrifying. (also this passively buffs dokkalfar…just sayin.)

Thank you for making the polls!

I answered every one of them :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You’re welcome.

It wasn’t as painful as it looked. I wrote a quick program to create the poll/troop code. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I agree with @DonBoba proposal for the Anunbite Warrior.

Alastair: I would introduce a new trait previously proposed a while back ago. “Holy Armor - any dmg that would bypass armor gets redirected to armor”. I know True Dmg and Armor Piercing aren’t particularly powerful as of now but this new trait would make Alastair more of a tank in those situations.

Apothecary: she’s fine as is.

Archon Statue: its use has fallen off quite a bit but it’s still one of the better non-Guardian constructs. Maybe have its ‘extra dmg if damaged’ scale from its missing armor (think of a reverse Rowanne)? Have the boost ratio at 2:1 or 3:1 to prevent it from being too powerful.

Armored Boar: this is a pretty bad Common, perhaps give the spell an extra turn or 50% chance for extra turn.
Can we introduce new trait ideas in this thread? We should have a Trample style mechanic - if skull dmg should kill a troop, any excess dmg carries over to the next troop. Give Armored Boar Trample.

Astral Spirit: fine as is.

Atlanta: She really needs a rework, her AoE spell has really fallen behind the times! Either give her spell some increased dmg OR introduce some RNG. I would do “Rain of Arrows - Deal [Magic + 2] dmg to all enemies. 50% chance to cast spell a second time at no cost”.

Apothecary

Transform a selected Mana color to Brown. Cleanse all allies. Heals all party members except herself for 0+magic/2 hp.

or

Transform a selected Mana color to Brown. Cleanse all allies. 50% chance to heal random friendly troop to full health.

Reminder:
The next troop is AUTUMNAL IMP.

Honestly all of the imps need work.

Their split damage needs to be buffed for end game. Not sure exactly how they could fix that without making them over powered for lower play. I’m not sure they should just increase the base. But maybe they could gain more than one magic for every match of their color.

They need something because they have that drawback of only using one color, although they do have a color link so that does compensate a bit. It can be harder to fill their skills because of the mono color. The skills should pack a punch when you use them.

At the end game none of the imps match up just because of the split damage. I think maybe they should get a boost by x. Maybe by how much of their color is on the board but make the boost very strong?

I’m not sure. Perhaps others have better ideas. I’m generally good at ripping apart troops but not at building them up.

This suggestion of mine will focus on all imps at once. They use a single color which is their downside and their costs aren’t really low for the stuff they do. I like the split damage with am added effect but this is what could be done with them:

• all of their first traits (elemental bond) should be changed to on skull hit effects corresponding their element:
  • brown imp > stun on skull hit
  • purple imp > death mark on skull hit
  • blue imp > freeze on skull hit
  • green imp > entangle on skull hit
  • red > burn on skull hit
  • yellow > silence on skull hit.
    Their legendary trait of gaining 1 magic is very interesting. The part that should be changed is how much magic they gain when killing an enemy. It should be at least 10 magic and 5 for blue. Slight increase tho but still a bit better.
2 Likes

Adding my views on another one…

ANUBITE WARRIOR

• I like that he summons a Fortress Gate in terms of flavour / theme
  • but it blocks his brown mana, and is an awful thing to do if you are trying to win a game
  • so summoning a Mummy King might work better
  • instead of removing skulls, he could transform them to purple (after the summon)
1 Like

Reminder:
The next troop is AVINA.

1 Like

Haha, that’s what you think… I am still working my way down…

APOTHECARY

• I find this the least useful gem transformer now, but that’s probably a function of other troops not this one
  • I think it could be tweaked slightly to let it cost less
  • the best transformers (Valkyrie, Alchemist) cost 10
  • maybe move to ‘cleanse two random debuffs from allies’ and cost 10
  • traits are fine, she’s there for utility anyway

ARCHON STATUE

• broadly is fine where it is, one of the best rare troops
  • I’d just tweak Stone Spirit into Air Spirit, to give it more fit and synergy with its Whitehelm buddies

ARMORED BOAR

• is spelled wrongly and should be Armoured Boar, grrr
  • is fine where it is as a common troop

ASTRAL SPIRIT

• was laughably over-powered when first released
  • now seems just fine, and does get used

ATLANTA

• agree that she’s fallen behind the power-creep, she used to be good
  • I like @Emos idea of some RNG: how about deal X+[Magic/2] damage to all enemies, 50% chance to repeat the cast, and can keep repeating until the 50% fails :slight_smile:
  • Armour Piercing trait doesn’t work, she’s far too fragile to be in the front, and as a caster no one would put her there
  • give her Fast instead?
2 Likes

Reminder:
The next troop is AVINA. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hehehe…

AUTUMNAL IMP

• disagree that these dudes need an ‘on skull hit’ trait
  • and not keen to see yet more status effects land on them (matching the status to the colour makes them too similar to the guild guardians, I think), sorry @DonBoba
  • agree as @Mekkalyn says all the Imps need work
  • split damage sadly doesn’t scale well into the end game, unless it has a boost like Rowanne does
  • was thinking maybe some AoE plus some split damage, like an AoE cousin of the Ranger
  • so how about spell deals damage to all enemies, then Magic+3 split damage, where X is the number of Brown gems on board divided by 3
  • keep the destroy 10 gems effect and on enemy death effects as is
  • for traits, change the Fall leggy trait to +2 Magic not +1

AVINA

• I find she also has an identity crisis
  • with Undead Slayer and Armour Piercing, she could be a lethal front troop in some situations, but she is too squishy
  • and you’d put her there to slap a Bone Dragon - and she just gets frozen
  • her spell makes her a back-row nuke candidate, but as I’ve described before, isn’t quite punchy enough for the end game
  • also to me the souls gain is a bit arbitrary and doesn’t really fit - her purpose is to kill undead (ideally vampires) - and there’s many other Red/Purple troops with either souls gain or Necromancy
  • so I’d rework her to be a caster as follows:
  • spell: deal double damage to Purple enemies, and true damage to Undead, and tweak numbers to balance: maybe push it to 13 mana cost and set so that she one-shots most Purple Undead targets - base damage should be slightly higher than Amira, who costs 13 and always gets true damage plus the Magic stat steal
  • traits: move to Warded, Alert and maybe Stealthy or Agile - Stealthy fits as she’s a hunter (sort of)
2 Likes

For me Avina feels perfect, no change needed. And souls are just a bonus. She is an undead assassin (or assassin of undead, to say it correctly). Assassin’s aren’t supposed to take hits. They are supposed to do their job and get away. That’s why they are not fighters.

As for Autumn Imp. Well yeah he could do flat AOE damage plus split damage, plus destroy gems? That’s a 3 part spell, something we don’t have yet.
Does doing flat aoe boosted my number of elemental allies (similiar to TDS who’s way of spell dmg I love) + destroying gems equal to hit magic +2 feels better? :slight_smile: He can keep getting magic when matching browns which would make him destroy even more gems.

1 Like