So... another week and another weekly event... and another two slices of troops getting a +25% stat boost... which, this week, buffs some scary things...
These weekly stat gains generally do one of two things:
- buff the meta or overpowered troops that are getting heavy use and make things a bit worse for us all; or
- buff underpowered troops that don't get used, and hey they still don't get used and we notice little change...
There's a third way; just occasionally, they:
- buff things that are semi-broken into a daft state so they get deployed mindlessly en-masse (4x ScaleGuards I am looking at you)
Weekly events were always, as I understood, intended to stir up variety and/or offer new viable teams... and overall I really don't see that they achieved it much... so I have two main suggestions for changes to address that...
Part 1: incentivise defence changes
Other than the relatively minor impact of the stat gains (or the infrequent stupidity of 50% buffed ScaleGuards), the weekly changes don't really encourage players to change their defence teams away from the usual griefing... a few kind souls put troops up that match the occasional Snots hunt, but these are a minority...
Blindingly obvious solution: offer rewards to players based on what defences they play. Things like:
- +bonus Glory for each enemy invasion if you have 3-4 of this week's highlighted kingdom's troops
- +bonus Gold for each enemy invasion if you have 3-4 of this week's highlighted type troops
So this could make it really repetitive for the week? Right... but at least it'd be different each week... whereas now it's largely the same in top-end PvP every week...
Part 2: noticeable troop mechanic changes to build new invade teams
In the late game, games aren't often won or lost simply based on stat numbers. It's either the superior tactics of the human player or the shamless RNG-crappery hitting a devour or mana drain mechanic... So the stat gains, as indicated above, don't really persuade one to try anything new... I will use my normal dragon team, or my normal loop team, or what I usually use anyway...
More interesting solution: enact situational changes and reworked spells or traits for the featured kingdom or troops, just for the week, picking up their flavours, and powering up their Epic and Legendary troops, in particular in ways that encourage new combos. Here are a few ideas, sampling a couple of kingdoms.
Glacial Peaks week
- all spells that create blue gems create one additional blue gem
- whenever a troop is Frozen, deal it 5 damage
- Tassarion's spell also destroys himself and summons an Ice Golem in his place
- Ice Golem's spell explodes five other random Gems
- Queen Mab's spell always give an extra turn
- Borealis' spell damages all enemies instead of one
Forest Of Thorns week
- whenever a green troop's spell is cast, Entangle the first enemy
- all spells that create green gems create one additional green gem
- Green Seer's spell also deals 7 true damage to the enemy it Entangles
- Lady Anariel's spell also cleanses all allies
- Rowanne's Reinforced trait restores 4 Armour per turn instead of 1
- Gloom Leaf's spell also cleanses it and gives it Life
- Sylvanimora's spell explodes a second random column