My internet has high Ping while running GoW in background

My internet speed is fine, but my Ping is very high, so I think its the steam or gems of war that makes my ping so high. I recently also got Windows 10.

Ping as you can see in the left corner is 689ms, it has been up to 900ms. When I turn off the steam it goes down to 7ms. It annoys me because my browser is getting slow when I am have steam open and GoW…

I have tested with my smartphones WiFi and its fine with low ping. So its no problem with my router or the server as far as I know.

Any help would be welcomed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everything is fine now after they moved the game to a better server! :smiley: :grin:

1 Like

Unfortunately, I still have the problem with high ping while browsing internet when the game runs in the background, possibly because the GoW server is far away from where I live? Maybe there is no fix for this?

I know i should know this but ping would be what?

1 Like

Ping is the time it takes to send a message to the server and receive a response. The name comes from sonar systems I believe?

3 Likes

Probably. I hope someone can help me with this. I think that its little I can do, since the server might be too far away. But I am living in the hope.

Have you tried either steam or GoW support?

What internet speed do you get from ISP? I used to have 5 Mb/s down and 1 up and it was terrible with some games, although not GoW.

Edit: let me facepalm for not looking at the picture

1 Like

It never bugged me too much to send in a ticket, also I doubt that they can help me with this issue. It looks like the GoW server is too far away, and that is what causing a so called delay or high ping.

Do you get this issue playing any other game on that device?

GoW is really the only online steam game I have played, im most of the time a console mac.

1 Like

Genuinely confused, what do you mean by “console mac?”

If you are interested, try playing some random free game from steam, to see if the ping issue follows.

Also, does this ping issue occur if ONLY steam is open, and not GoW?

Btw, I’d just like to add, I had a weird issue where my game suddenly would not connect to GoW servers from any device within my home network, when just a couple days before it was fine. I contacted GoW support, and they had me try connecting to one if their servers via web browser. As soon as I tried that, I was able to diagnose from there: my router (firewalll) had updated and for some reason found their server to be a threat.

2 Likes

mac as lad/pal. Thanks for the help. :slight_smile:

This ping issue only occurs if GoW is open in steam, if steam is open without playing GoW internet is fine. Also it is random when the high ping comes and do not come. Also, thanks for sharing your story bro, I might send in a support ticket soonish.