I don't like the GW point system

Am I wrong in thinking that they have totally messed up the defense teams?

If you change the slot, later , the defense team changes to whichever you put in that number.

This could mean a large advantage for people waiting til the end of the day (or even the week) as we have so few slots to test out new teams with.

I am taking my dislike vote back.

I still think there are some serious issues that need to be addressed like the unchecked Defense teams when not all colors have the options to go against all trait types and some of the serious bugs in saving teams, editing teams, and lack of enough teams to make combos.

However, the last two days our guild actually has become the brainstorming space for how to take on different teams as we hit them. I think watching and learning and listening has been awesome.

I also have watched the same in some of the forum members, A BIG Kudo goes out to @Ozball who has been extremely valuable in suggestions, tips, tricks, even positioning. Something I thought some of the older players would have been doing to help the younger guilds enjoy this. Instead I’ve seen a lot of bickering from many of the older seasoned players.

The best thing is I have learned because how to really slow down (PVP teaches you a very bad thing - fast to get done) - I actually have spent 30 minutes on a game, knowing my win or loose could really impact my standing. Studying the board, plotting how the AI may respond, how to gain an advantage faster. For me who plays this as a strategy game, I like GW for it.

Hopefully as w we go through these weeks tweaks, changes and improvements to make it fun for all will happen.

(And yes I think for the lower guilds and lower level players - being pitted against some of these ungodly OP teams is not fun)

9 Likes

Way to work a broad-brush diss into a compliment to one player. I like it :wink:
Anyways being helpful has allways been @Ozball s motto, one he follows with scary consistency.

3 Likes

haha, what has a masters degree in mathematics got to do with knowing how to work out the average between a few different numbers, eh?

that was my favourite sentence in this thread so far …

i too agree that the points scale up too much.

my suggestion would be 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 … so the average is 200, did i get it right?

so you could lose 30% if you lost 1 battle, seems fair-ish and does scale up somewhat.

if the reward table were much more gentle (much better rewards for lower ranks and only slightly better rewards for higher ranks)
we could keep the positive aspect of gw without most of the negative aspects
even if we kept the (imo unfair) huge advantage from statue bonuses nobody would mind anymore as they would all be motivated with their reachable rewards

please explain, i read it twice but im just not understanding it, from the whole post i think ill probably agree with you but i really do wish to understand what you are actually proposing here

that would explain why you are having fun - the rewards you will be getting will be high and certainly worth the effort

i do like guild war fights, i accept the stress - but my efforts in the end may be not worth the reward (even as i spent few hours every day now just for this and im actually enjoying team building) - so for the unfairness that no matter what i do i wont get good rewards (statue difference) im being angry disappointed and frustrated - not much yet as i still have hope but every day passing it doesnt bring any more enjoyment, instead of being happy that we are indeed winning each daily way and are the first in our bracket (and third in the bracket aboveus!) im being worried that this will be not enough to get a sensible rewards

i honestly feel bad for the weaker guilds that are below us as they will have it even worse :slight_frown:
im sad that there is a system with that kind of reward/points combo structure

the numbers could have been done much more friendly way

at first sight leagues sound nice but whole gow playerbase would suffer smaller gw rewards to pay for this
(this was discussed before gw was released and even addressed by devs)

how about:
250 275 300 325 350 - last battle would be 23% of all points

So I’m not a Master Mathematician, like some people, so forgive me for offering a different solution.

Could the fix be as simple as you have 5 battles and you only get one shot at each of them but you do get that one shot.

I know the idea is a progression and fighting your way through the ranks BUT the concern is that an early round loss immediately denies the Paragon fight. Remove that and a lot of the bad feelings go away, right?

And there would still be a progression as each battle gets harder and worth more, etc.

What do you think? :wink:

2 Likes

After losing my first fight, i felt actually relief not to fight anymore against the Paragon. Chances for losing a 2nd match drops a bit :wink:

Sure you lose many points, but same applies for the opponent.

Overall i like how Guild Wars have been implemented, only concern i have is the amount of Guild Wars that are being played. I can imagine people getting bored with the new play mode fairly quick, because you are playing and thinking about it everyday. You don’t have too, but you feel obligated if you want to help out your guild in the best way.

There is an option for the Guilds to skip wars for a (few) week(s) to refresh energy, but in my opinion that isn’t a real option, because you miss out on the troop rewards and probably fall in the bracket list.

I wouldn’t mind if the Guild Wars are played once a month for instance.

1 Like

Well, after sitting back and sipping my coffee while watching the AI cascade itself into destroying my team in move #3, in battle number 2, I am again extremely disappointed in how the GW mechanic works. I used to care a lot about now many points I got, because I felt the points reflected “skill” and if you got few, it would look bad for you. Now I realize that it’s such a RNG roll of the dice, with single battles losing you thousands of points, that it’s not like that at all, and really, high points just means “lucky” and has nothing to do with skill, really, or perhaps like 10% skill (i.e. not missing 4-matches, etc.) and 90% is simple luck.

I used to think just losing match #5 was bad enough, losing you about half your potential points. This morning I literally laughed out loud as bad RNG luck on battle #2 means I can’t even fight battle #5 in the first place, apparently. Utterly ridiculous. The random nature of this game means that hanging that kind of result off of a single game is just ludicrous.

If you want to reflect skill over coin-flipping, then you need to allow each player to fight all five battles, make them each worth the same, and then tally it up. Then you can see over 100 battles who has the better decks and strategies, versus who happens to have better RNG luck.

When everything is so very random, with Death Marks, Devours, and the AI cascades, etc. you need MULTIPLE matches over time to be able to discern patterns and trends (which can reflect overall skill over time). Hanging everything off single matches is just… wrong.

That would work but at the same time it would create another problem (I think it would).
What happens if you can’t beat the 1st or 2nd enemy in one try?
With how things stand right now, the difficulty of each fight is considered progressive hence the point difference.
Is it really though? In my experience not so much, no.
In theory (can’t tell for sure of course), high ranking guilds, don’t have many inexperienced or very low level players.
That means that even the soldier’s defense is not negligible. On the opposite side but with the same result, on the very low ranking guilds, paragon fight doesn’t necessarily mean the toughest one.
So with a chance to win the 5th fight without the previous 4, you could still make it with half the possible points.
Again I have no data behind what I’m saying. Just what I’ve felt like playing the past 3 days and what I imagine it to be for high and low (or maybe even all) “tiers”.

I’m simply proposing that the statues shouldn’t be a multiplier for the score. Until we can finally upgrade our statues to max level, or very close to it, we can’t compete with the guilds that already have maxed statues because they can earn much more points and are sheltered in this sense.

Another form of advantage could certainly be used instead. If the statues would provide a bonus to defending troops of that color, just as they provide to the attackers on each day, the advantage would still be there, but maybe it wouldn’t take so long for us to defy the very top guilds.

1 Like