Guild Wars - Sneak Peek III

Looks good overall! A few questions that immediately leap out:

1. Please give us dedicated attack/defense slots for guild wars that we can set up once and forget, or alter daily/weekly. This is going to be awful to manage otherwise. Especially if you’re effectively taking away 12 slots from our existing capacity.
  2. Why is the middle star empty on the “Champion” icon? Can it please be the first two stars are filled? My OCD, please!
  3. For Week 1, I hope “Team Score” is the total value of the player’s stuff and not just their defense team? Seems too easy to game the system with the latter whereas the former gives a sense of their “total power”.
  4. Are you doing anything to make these battles more challenging, apart from the color bonuses? I’d really like to see something that mixes up the battle a bit more. The PvP grind is brutal and the game becomes pretty monotonous in the end. I really hope this is a breath of fresh air.

My assumption here is that skipping a war would almost never happen. It makes no sense to skip, as you don’t gain anything from it (unless you know you won’t fight all 30 battles and prefer specific color bonus or opponent). So for most players, the skip button is just for decoration - let’s ignore it for the sake of this discussion.

Still, people may sometimes wait for the next day before they start battling. This is not done to skip a war, but largely because of time constraints. Such people need the NoB, to know how many battles they have available if they want to play them all today.

For example: I played 1 match on the first day (so 4 left), then had no time the next 3 days. on the 4th day I suddenly have time and consider playing all the battles that are waiting for me so far, but I want to know how many I can play in total today. I can start calculating how much that is considering the current war progress and remaining wars, or I can just take a single look at the NoB and see it say ‘19’.

And just so we’re clear on the mechanics:

You can’t.

It already does.

1 Like

It has advantages too. If you only had one defense team you are in a situation to cause an even bigger rush on the servers at rollover for people to manually set a new team. It also gives people with certain time zones/schedules an advantage being more in sync with the game clock and would be problematic even without the new open timing. Before it could have been fixed with ‘current’ and ‘next’ instead of six, but more than one in either case.

I just want to make it clear that I have no doubts about the mechanics you explained (and I agree “Skip” will probably not be used), I was just making hypothesis to try to justify the need for it, all of which failed. And I know “it already does”, that’s why I said “just”, to imply that would be enough.

The best answer you gave was:

Honestly, in a game in which you can’t even see how many souls you have from the main map, I still think it’s totally overkill to create a new unit just to help people sum numbers that won’t get higher than 30, and that is only if they don’t want to just fight through and “plan” ahead (not much to plan, though). For example:

It’s Thursday (War 4 day), I’m on War 1, My Progress says 1 out of 5, so that’s 3 + 5 (War 2) + 5 (War 3) + 5 (War 4) = 19.

I really think it’s way too easy to calculate to justify adding a whole new energy unit that might end up creating more potential for confusion than actually helping. My point is that it’s not necessary at all, simply put (unless we’re missing something that hasn’t been disclosed).

Considering I don’t always remember what day it is, I don’t think it’s “too easy to calculate”. Besides, even if it’s easy, having the number in front of you is much better. and regardless, the counter fills an important role in making people understand the mechanics, especially the part where they don’t lose battles by waiting a day.

as for “adding a whole new energy unit”, it’s already there anyway, having the counter visible doesn’t mean you add a new unit, just making an existing one known.

4 Likes

@Sirrian
Well, you can set it in way that each player will receive his 1st set of 5 battles on monday but they can start using them on Tuesday when the guild wars start. This way the last giveaway is done on Saturday. The advantage is that this provide additional flexibility. Not only players can finish their battles on Saturday but they could also get a little lead on Tuesday.

1 Like

I didn’t mean from the developer’s standpoint, I meant something for people to understand. And I still think it’s easy to calculate, since you can easily, very easily see the day of the week on whatever you’re playing GoW on. Yeah, not as easy as seeing a number, but still very easy. And I honestly think people will just fight through what they can, instead of wondering about how many fights they’d have to do total in order to catch up.

I think calling them Wars instead of Days plays that role already. The bottomline is that I still think it might cause more confusing to players who don't follow these threads than actually help them.

Again, this is a thought, and we can’t know for sure if I’m right or wrong, I’m just bringing this up into devs’ consideration in case they didn’t think about it. :wink:

Um… Im gonna just go with your wrong… just cause… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I support the fact we will need a defense team automatically set at the start of different days.

1 Like

Given how people can play different Wars on any day they want, I must assume they’ll give us the option to set up (ahead, even) a defense team for each War, rather than for each day. Nothing else would make sense or be fair.

8 Likes

Dang it @MakoSipper, now I have to say you’re right! :rage:

2 Likes

Just make up your bloody mind, will ya?!

3 Likes

Easy or not, I’d bet that if they didn’t put it there, many people would request to add it as a “quality of life” feature. At the very least I know I would want it there.

If you care so much (and I’m not sure why), how about making a poll to find out how many people find it useful. I think you’d be surprised.

3 Likes

I don’t think that tab is referring to the Guild member rank of Sentinel but rather a new GW specific element (that just happens to share one of the Guild member rank titles). :slight_smile:

Sentinels in this, GW, context most likely applies to where players setup their defenses. But that’s just a guess

5 Likes

This is my thought as well. I assume that the off day will give people the chance to set up their anti-color defense teams.

6 Likes

These two things make perfect sense together, and would also explain why they previewed the attack system ahead of the Sentinel system.

4 Likes

My assumption is that the colors will be the same each week and the Sentinels tab will allow us to setup 6 different defense teams (one for each battle) that will roll over week over week (which we can modify at any time but that we don’t have to re-setup each week)

7 Likes

@Tacet New update on Guild Wars :slight_smile:

Yeah surely a team for each color but also one for each guild rank (Paragon, etc.) else no real difference to fight a Soldier or a Paragon. But 30 teams… it seems a lot…

And that is why I have been playing Gems of War for over 2 years.

Love all of it! :slight_smile:

10 Likes