Guild Wars - Sneak Peek I

I never thought I would say this but, I think 30 is not enough. I am an end gamer and that means that I am interested in getting Mythics… and one particular “Love” Imp who is avoiding my chests with a passion!! :rage:

If the token cost for a mythic were only 30, that would mean that every end gamer would just save up 30, buy the new mythic on the release date and be done. It would be a complete and total ability to keep pace with mythics released. This should be a guaranteed way to earn them, but at a speed that would still encourage players to hope for a RNG drop. Without falling further and further behind by waiting two months (60 tokens) for each mythic, then end-gamers would quit worrying about spending keys too! (Exaggerating for emphasis, of course) But you get my point…

End-gamers already complain about resources that have no value, ie souls, can you imagine what the forum will look like if end gamers can target the monthly mythic each month and don’t need to burn glory, keys, and gems at a chance for them… :fearful:

5 Likes

Given how they have proceeded to hand out rewards thus far, I really don’t see them just handing out the ability to craft. So far they’ve made us work for or “earn” all the rewards. No way would they want 100% of players crafting Mythic every 2 months, there has to be a catch. Not to mention I think that timing is already off. 12 Mythics released a year, and people can craft half of them openly? Doubt it.

No use speculating really though, we have no clue what they’re going to do.

I do like the daily log-in idea though, even if not with crafting tokens.

2 Likes

Oh they’ll add another 5 just like they had every intention of adding another 5 VIP levels and 5 kingdom levels. May not be this year and that’s fine given how they still want to sync all platforms as close as possible. But it will happen. So think twice about disenchanting troops en masse for souls after they are maxed.

As for the any current ideas to increase the likelihood of getting a Mythic, how about another kingdom quest? Its safe to presume that each kingdom will have a Mythic troop, so designing a quest to defeat or assist that Mythic troop sounds about right. Just require the player to win it at maximum difficulty. lol gotta earn it!

Exactly. I’m not even (quite) end-game yet, but I’ve had pretty good luck with Mythics. I think I play enough to be ahead of the resource curve on new content so my regular gameplay will eventually allow me to ascend, level and trait every non-mythic troop in the game, but there is a very real possibility that I will never get Famine, War or Draakulis (or any number of future mythics when my luck eventually runs out). I’d love a mechanism like this that would allow me to target and craft certain troops, but it shouldn’t be a free pass.

I agree 100% - the post I was replying to was saying that to get 30 daily logins would be hard. 60 is the absolute minimum that would make any sense to me. 90 or 100 (or more) sounds more realistic.

2 Likes

If it took 60 or more I’d rather they not waste the time implementing it.

1 Like

That’s such a bad way to look at it Rasper. Before you had NO way to get a Mythic without getting it out of a chest, with crafting you will. So even if it took 4 months it’s still better than before.

This doesn’t mean the Devs are all of a sudden feeling so good they’re going to give away Mythics freely. :smile:

They still have to figure out a balance to things and a business to run. That would be my worry if I were them, there’s no coming back from this step. If they allow players to get certain troops in a short period of time, we’re always going to expect that going forward.

7 Likes

It’s logins, not playtime. It’s something that we already do everyday either we play or not.
I think 30 is simply too cheap…
Since the first Mythics were introduced how many days passed? I believe it was something like 150+ days, and from the starting point of this feature, if the devs chose to use “Logins tokens” any player will be able to hoard this “currency” until they can finally use it, so at this time there will be no shortage of the other resources for the veterans as they supposedly have all of it already and the newish players will have the tokens but not the rest of the resources, so increasing the number of Login Tokens necessary will just avoid increasing the gap between the “Top players” to the “Mid and Lower players” level and timely-wise speaking.

Also lacking the “Login tokens” will not hinder anyone from getting any Mythic in a random lucky streak during any new kingdom release in wich any player use an Glory Key or better… So as much i would like to get all the cards i just don’t agree with making it too cheap or too fast for only the “high level/time invested” portion of players of wich i’m also included.

30 or 60, no matter.

IMHO, it has to be a combination of things. Logins + souls for example.

In that sense, I think 30 seems more reasonable since you have to have BOTH resources to get the troop.

Well said. If they allow players to get any troops in any period of time, guaranteed, there’s no turning back. This step is one that the development team has to take extremely carefully, if they do in fact take it at all.

10 Likes

Without knowing what the other resources are, it’s impossible to say, but 30 days of logins when a new mythic is released once a month is no barrier at all to a hardcore player. I guess this would limit those players to ONLY getting one mythic a month by this mechanism, but it completely takes any luck out of the equation for them. With daily logins out of the equation, the other resources become the cost of entry, but this strictly favours the most hardcore players (since they have more resources than everyone else anyway), and that’s why I would argue that the threshold has to be a minimum of 60 if this were to happen. It’s important that hardcore players have to rely on luck too, even if they are able to stack the deck in their favour by throwing more resources at the problem.

2 Likes

I was talking to someone in global chat about this earlier as well. They should take their own path and NOT take Hearthstone as the gold standard. Hearthstone makes so much money it can almost weather any storm. GoW i’m guessing is not in the same position.

But i’m sure these are things the Devs are already constantly thinking about. They’ll come up with something.

2 Likes

Good idea, but I just can’t see this coming, even if I do like to.
It would simply just had been too good, especially when it comes to
the difficulty level in obtaining the Mythics.

Looking at where we are currently. The best offer there is to
obtain a Mythic with 100% is through two of the 50 dollars packs,
Growth Pack and Path to Gloy. And still the Mythic one will get is
totally random.

With the currently new system it would had guarantee us, especially
endgame players, any missing Mythics with 100%, through waiting.

What I mean is that we have to be a little realistic.
Compare where we stands now with what that might possibly come.
Going from totally random to obtain a specific Mythics(which is almost
impossible) to 100% get a specific Mythic, the difference is just
too big.

I try not to expect too much in what is coming, but I have a feeling that
the crafting or any other way to obtain especially Mythics on will have
RNG in it, just because the whole game is RNG related.

I hope I am wrong of course, and that we will see a such system, Fourdottwoone.

4 Likes

Hm. An alternative to logins would be to get this mythic-crafting stuff out of tributes… I mean, logins are more under-utilized of course, but this would actually drive activity up and therefore gameplay…

Ergh. No, that isn’t foolproof. That means people who get 20 tributes a day like some psycho are at an advantage. Maybe if it was capped to a few per day…?

That would have dramatically different results for mobile versus console players (or PC-exclusive). As a console player that actually leaves the house most days, I am limited in the number of times I can collect tribute. If I was a mobile player, I could set an alarm to remind me to log in every hour, on the hour. As a pretty serious (but not hardcore) console player, I probably collect tribute about 15-20 times per week. A similarly serious mobile player could do that every day.

Edit: You sniped me yourself with that edit! I wasn’t going to call anyone a psycho, but I guess I did imply that certain console players never seem to leave their basements…

And what happens when unforeseen circumstances prevent you from logging in on day 31, or 45.

The idea I put forth used CONSECUTIVE logins, which if set too high, could prove to be insurmountable.

Now, if your talking about cumulative but not consecutive daily logins, then 60 is much more reasonable.

2 Likes

I suspect he meant cumulative (which I would prefer) rather than consecutive, though just like with the existing daily login bonus, there could be some incentive for logging in on consecutive days.

4 Likes

I would be in favor of using some combination of both, for sure.

I’ve been advocating about cumulative and not consecutive just to make it clear. Hence why i mentioned “Login Tokens”.

1 Like

Yeah, that makes sense. I was talking about the existing daily login mechanic, which uses consecutive logins. Just talking past each other. :smiley:

1 Like