Guild Wars - Sneak Peek I

Oh, totally didn’t pick that up. I was thinking that you’d collect a token each time you logged in, which you could cash in when you had whatever number of them you needed. Requiring a lengthy streak would really punish casual players, console players who travel away from home and anyone suffering from technical issues.

1 Like

Two months feels more fair in my own sense. Assuming that i wouldn’t miss the exclusive weeks and would have all resources to craft one i would still get 3 Mythics in this period of time. Pretty much enough for a steady catch up.

1 Like

You craft 'em, I whup 'em.

The daily log-in is to keep players logging in daily and keep the reported numbers of players high → which attracts funding/investors.

The hourly tribute is to keep the player base active, and despite the nerf, it has continued to do that and is frequent enough to give people a taste of RNG.

Is there another metric (besides money earned) other than log-ins and activity on which game creators/owners are judged? If there is, then any mythic-gaining or crafting method should help them improve such a KPI.

Personally, I feel the game at end-game becomes a PvP game, I cannot remember the last time I visited the arena and I do maps from time to time for the first few event rewards. Perhaps vaults in TH could have a % chance of a Legendary or mythic? (Rather than a gem or glory key - creating a clearer link).

IMO, a crafting system should get the player base to do a combination of mini-games and give up other resources. For example, completing an arena run awards an arena token, more than 100 turns in TH gets a TH token. Then collect a certain amount of each, then throw in a high volume of some other resources etc. The benefit of this is that it gets people to play all parts of the game and helps early level players who more regularly play TH and Arena.

Just some ideas. :grinning:

5 Likes

(For those who are not aware, “KPI” means “key performance indicator” and is a term used in business management for a metric that is used to determine whether or not your product is meeting the needs of the business.)

7 Likes

Thank you for explaining that.

1 Like

I agree with most of what you say, but am not sure why crafting should force players into the mini-games.

1 Like

No thematic/lore type reason, and if it doesn’t help Devs metrics, then no real reason.

However, if I don’t do anything different but that still gets me the ability to increase chances of mythics or allow crafting, then it seems I’m getting something for nothing (or very little if it’s about getting rid of excess resources which hold limited value).

1 Like

Agreed. I think the original idea was that it would take both regular logins (which I’ve taken to think of as tokens that you’d accumulate by logging in) PLUS some number of other resources. That seems like a reasonable accomodation, as long as the amount of both that is required is enough to be a significant obstacle (at least so far as crafting Mythics and legendaries goes). For me, the ‘extra thing’ I have to do is commit those resources that would otherwise be spent on something else. I’m not end-game, so I don’t have a pile of anything just sitting around - anything I committed to crafting would be taking away from my progress elsewhere and would be a hard choice to make. Anything but treasure maps, that is.

To be clear, CSAT (customer satisfaction) and long-tail retention for word-of-mouth (if not purchase drivers) are almost definitely on the KPI list for a F2P. Driving people to game modes they don’t usually play can be a good thing if you nudge them toward something they’d enjoy but felt was a waste of time prior, but it can also build resentment if you misjudge why they avoided it in the first place.

7 Likes

Agree. I think Arena became so buggy and unbalanced since the focus moved to new troops, PvP leaderboards and now guild wars. It’s become a wasteland.

Forcing players back here without addressing the issues would come with blowback.

1 Like

I’m going to be honest here… I’m hoping they never allow you to craft cards above Epic or maybe even Legendary. Here is my reason as to why, people are already COMPLAINING about the end-game. Making it easier and faster to get Mythics would probably make most of these people quit shortly after they achieved getting the cards they wanted because well they don’t have anything else to get after this would they?

So in my opinion PLEASE make Mythic cards feel valuable as they should be and hard to obtain as they should be. I’m happier with a trait-stone crafting system but please limit card crafting if you do bring it in. I want the game to last a long time, making it easier to finish end-game will only cause player losses.

1 Like

May I ask how many of the Mythics you have obtained so far? All?
Many in this thread have maybe only a few or half of them, I believe
maybe that your opinion would had been differently if you were in their
shoes. If I am wrong, well…

The meat and bones of those complaints center around the game not being challenging once you reach end game. Having all cards in the game hasn’t stopped some end gamers from leaving the game. They were still bored and didn’t feel challenged.

3 Likes

I’m at the end game.
I have only 8 traits left to fill on troops I own, 5 of which are on guardians.
I have 27 troops not at mythic, 5 of which are guardians and I’ll finish shortly.
I have just 1 kingdom not at max PL (Silverglade, as I don’t have mythic common/rares)

I’m missing 6 Mythic troops (Plague and all since Draakulis).

If there is no method to work towards Mythics, I will be “done” once I finish the above since I won’t care about not having mythics.

If there is a way to obtain mythics, but it takes 60 days each, I will be “done” once I finish the above since I won’t be able to ever catch up.

If there is a way to make a mythic in under 30 days, I won’t be done. I’ll have a goal to work towards.

edit: By “done” I mean without having a goal. I enjoy the game and I’ll likely keep going collecting each kingdom as they come out. But the drive to advance will be absent.

4 Likes

60 days each would not make you “done.” You will have both steady progress as well as a chance to strike it rich via RNG. I’m not sure why this is considered a bad thing.

If you do end up catching up, and the release cadence for Mythics matches the rate at which they can be obtained via daily grinding, the keys will immediately become useless for Mythic fishing. I’m certain that this result would not be desirable to the devs.

7 Likes

Considering I’ve spent every glory/gem key earned for 5 months without opening a Mythic, no, I don’t consider that ever being in the realm of catching up since I will add mythics to my missing list faster than I cross them off.

1 Like

I only have 2 Mythics and I’m quite happy it isn’t easy to obtain as once I complete a game I usually don’t see much reason besides the social aspect to stay and play or just casually play every now and then when I’m in the mood. Mythics are essentially the god cards of the game, if they become easier to obtain, they are worth as much as the rares. I feel more accomplished when it took more effort to obtain a goal, making it easier only makes it boring.

I’m actually afraid to invest into the game as VIP levels make things even easier to get to end game and with there only being PVP, Quests and Arena the only thing I see being long term is the cards being harder to obtain and harder to max out being something that keeps people playing. I’ve seen way too many times when people dump a load of money into a game, only to quit over a period of time shortly after because it made it too easy to get closer to the end. I’m sure there are some rare players out there that don’t quit after hitting end-game but I’m pretty sure there’s more that do quit after.

1 Like

Your earlier point stands without any doubts then, since you are missing many of them.

1 Like

I understand where your coming from
But on the same note, these mythics do not take any extra effort. It takes more money and is complete RNG. There’s only so much premium currency you can get for free so once you reach that break point all you can do to “earn it” is spend money. There is no honor or glory in getting them because it is not an accomplishment to get blessed by the RNG gods.

I would prefer it if it took actual skill and time and maybe crafting, make it something to work towards because when I get it I WILL feel like I earned it rather than just getting lucky.

6 Likes