Finnigan Hinklebolt: Apprentice... Ordinaire (A GoW Fan Fiction)

Link to Ep. 2

FH: A…O, Episode 3

“Don’t worry about Dad; he’ll be fine.” Finnigan turned to take in the visage of the tall woman behind him. Standing straight, her long locks cascading down her nape, her favorite wrench perched nonchalantly on her shoulder, Ghiralee was an impressive sight that made most men look twice. “Come on Finn, lets head home.” “I know he’ll be ok, I just wish I wasn’t always the thing he had to ‘get over’.” Finnigan explained, berating himself. “That’s enough of that self-deprecating nonsense!” Ghiralee ordered. “Tha’ts easy for you to say! You’re already in the College of Engineers! I’m still working maintenance…” “And where do you think I started? When Da adopted me, he got me the same job you have now. It’s only a matter of time before…” Ghiralee tried to finish her motivational thought, but deep down, even she knew that Finnigan didn’t have the inventor’s spark. Sensing her distress, Finn did what he did best, came to her rescue. “It’s ok sis. I know I’m never going ot be a Mechanist, I just don’t want to let him down.” Ghiralee smiled despite the heaviness, laughing, she joked. “You know, when you really think about it… You take after him more than I do. Most of his inventions blow up at least a dozen times before he gets them right!” Finnigan smiled despite himself. “It’s a wonder he still has eyebrows!” “Oh Man! Do you remember that time…” “When he stumbled in from his workshop…” “And his eyebrows were STILL ON FIRE!?” they finished together. As the two laughed, the tension broke and Finnigan gathered his equipment. “Come on Finn, let’s go home. I’m done with my classes today and I want to get out of here before the Royal Engineer decides we need another design project!” Without needing to respond, Finn grabbed his satchel and the two started toward home in a very comfortable silence.

Author’s Note: I missed give a shout out to @Jainus for pointing me in the direction of Ghiralee. She was not on my radar until you mentioned her. And now she fits rather perfectly, especially being an adopted daughter of Sparkgrinder! Serendipity? Perhaps… So to all of my silent readers, I encourage you specualte, collude, throw out red herrings, it is all good fodder for my brain and I enjoy giving shout outs in these blurry notes. Thanks and I hope you continue enjoy the tails of Finnigan Hinklebolt. :wink:

Link to Ep. 4

6 Likes