Finnigan Hinklebolt: Apprentice... Ordinaire (A GoW Fan Fiction)

Link to Episode 1

FH: A…O, Episode 2

“SPARKGRINDER!” came the booming voice of the Royal Engineer. The whole floor was a shuffle as all the maintenance laborers, apprentices, and aspiring Mechanists rose to stand at attention. “At ease!” commanded the Engineer, and the room quickly settled into an awkward silence. The famed dwarf scurried to heed his personal call. “Yessir?” Sparkgrinder answered, standing as tall as he could before the Royal Engineer. “What was that… cacophony I heard a moment ago? Did Finnigan…” “No sir.” Sparkgrinder cut him off, a bit too curtly. The Engineer continued, “I told you the last time, if there were any more… issuesApprentice Hinklebolt would be relieved of his duties.” Sparkgrinder nodded emphatically, “My boy…” The Royal Engineer raised his eyebrow sharply. Backpedaling, the dwarf continued “The boy merely noticed an error with the Bombot and before he could deactivate it, it self destructed.” “Your fondness for that Human is commendable despite its incomprehensibility.” The two stared at one another a moment, neither willing to make the next move. The Engineer broke his gaze first. Giving a derisive snort, he waved his hand drawing from his supply of stored mana and conjured a pristine Bombot. “There. Make sure that everyone on this floor knows how to properly deactivate a Bombot.” “Yessir!” replied the dwarf. “After all, we wouldn’t want anyone to suffer an unfortunate accident…” Without waiting for a response, the Royal Engineer turned and exited the maintenance floor, his thinly veiled threat lingering in his wake.

Sprakgrinder, his fiery face flushed from the strain of holding back his retort, gave a short squeal as Finn’s hand fell upon his stout shoulders, startling him. Having finally found his legs, Finnigan stood looking down upon his paternal protector. “I wish you didn’t have to defend me from him. I wish that I could pay you back for everything you’ve done for me. It’s time for me to be my own man and make my way in the world. Those were all the things I wanted to say… perhaps even the things I should have said, but all I could muster was a choked ‘Thank you’. Sparkgrinder was a giant of a Krystaran, but like all dwarves, he had his pride. Having to swallow it in front of all the maintenance crew was a sour pill indeed. He didn’t answer me, but I knew there was a ‘You’re welcome’ hidden within that grunt he gave as he stormed off. I wish that I had had the nerve to say all of those things to him that day, as it would be the last time I saw him…”

Sparky:
You showed me how to stand up for everybody, especially those who cannot stand up for themselves. For that I will be eternally grateful… Dad.
Forever Yours,
Finnigan Hinklebolt

Link to Episode 3

8 Likes