Finnigan Hinklebolt: Apprentice... Ordinaire (A GoW Fan Fiction)

What’s the fun in that?

1 Like

Link to Episode 1

FH: A…O, Episode 2

“SPARKGRINDER!” came the booming voice of the Royal Engineer. The whole floor was a shuffle as all the maintenance laborers, apprentices, and aspiring Mechanists rose to stand at attention. “At ease!” commanded the Engineer, and the room quickly settled into an awkward silence. The famed dwarf scurried to heed his personal call. “Yessir?” Sparkgrinder answered, standing as tall as he could before the Royal Engineer. “What was that… cacophony I heard a moment ago? Did Finnigan…” “No sir.” Sparkgrinder cut him off, a bit too curtly. The Engineer continued, “I told you the last time, if there were any more… issuesApprentice Hinklebolt would be relieved of his duties.” Sparkgrinder nodded emphatically, “My boy…” The Royal Engineer raised his eyebrow sharply. Backpedaling, the dwarf continued “The boy merely noticed an error with the Bombot and before he could deactivate it, it self destructed.” “Your fondness for that Human is commendable despite its incomprehensibility.” The two stared at one another a moment, neither willing to make the next move. The Engineer broke his gaze first. Giving a derisive snort, he waved his hand drawing from his supply of stored mana and conjured a pristine Bombot. “There. Make sure that everyone on this floor knows how to properly deactivate a Bombot.” “Yessir!” replied the dwarf. “After all, we wouldn’t want anyone to suffer an unfortunate accident…” Without waiting for a response, the Royal Engineer turned and exited the maintenance floor, his thinly veiled threat lingering in his wake.

Sprakgrinder, his fiery face flushed from the strain of holding back his retort, gave a short squeal as Finn’s hand fell upon his stout shoulders, startling him. Having finally found his legs, Finnigan stood looking down upon his paternal protector. “I wish you didn’t have to defend me from him. I wish that I could pay you back for everything you’ve done for me. It’s time for me to be my own man and make my way in the world. Those were all the things I wanted to say… perhaps even the things I should have said, but all I could muster was a choked ‘Thank you’. Sparkgrinder was a giant of a Krystaran, but like all dwarves, he had his pride. Having to swallow it in front of all the maintenance crew was a sour pill indeed. He didn’t answer me, but I knew there was a ‘You’re welcome’ hidden within that grunt he gave as he stormed off. I wish that I had had the nerve to say all of those things to him that day, as it would be the last time I saw him…”

Sparky:
You showed me how to stand up for everybody, especially those who cannot stand up for themselves. For that I will be eternally grateful… Dad.
Forever Yours,
Finnigan Hinklebolt

Link to Episode 3

8 Likes

bump! The story is so funny and interesting it practically reads itself :wink: keep em coming @efh313 :blush:

3 Likes

Link to Ep. 2

FH: A…O, Episode 3

“Don’t worry about Dad; he’ll be fine.” Finnigan turned to take in the visage of the tall woman behind him. Standing straight, her long locks cascading down her nape, her favorite wrench perched nonchalantly on her shoulder, Ghiralee was an impressive sight that made most men look twice. “Come on Finn, lets head home.” “I know he’ll be ok, I just wish I wasn’t always the thing he had to ‘get over’.” Finnigan explained, berating himself. “That’s enough of that self-deprecating nonsense!” Ghiralee ordered. “Tha’ts easy for you to say! You’re already in the College of Engineers! I’m still working maintenance…” “And where do you think I started? When Da adopted me, he got me the same job you have now. It’s only a matter of time before…” Ghiralee tried to finish her motivational thought, but deep down, even she knew that Finnigan didn’t have the inventor’s spark. Sensing her distress, Finn did what he did best, came to her rescue. “It’s ok sis. I know I’m never going ot be a Mechanist, I just don’t want to let him down.” Ghiralee smiled despite the heaviness, laughing, she joked. “You know, when you really think about it… You take after him more than I do. Most of his inventions blow up at least a dozen times before he gets them right!” Finnigan smiled despite himself. “It’s a wonder he still has eyebrows!” “Oh Man! Do you remember that time…” “When he stumbled in from his workshop…” “And his eyebrows were STILL ON FIRE!?” they finished together. As the two laughed, the tension broke and Finnigan gathered his equipment. “Come on Finn, let’s go home. I’m done with my classes today and I want to get out of here before the Royal Engineer decides we need another design project!” Without needing to respond, Finn grabbed his satchel and the two started toward home in a very comfortable silence.

Author’s Note: I missed give a shout out to @Jainus for pointing me in the direction of Ghiralee. She was not on my radar until you mentioned her. And now she fits rather perfectly, especially being an adopted daughter of Sparkgrinder! Serendipity? Perhaps… So to all of my silent readers, I encourage you specualte, collude, throw out red herrings, it is all good fodder for my brain and I enjoy giving shout outs in these blurry notes. Thanks and I hope you continue enjoy the tails of Finnigan Hinklebolt. :wink:

Link to Ep. 4

6 Likes

Speculation? Hmm… If Finnigan does not have what it takes to be an inventor then perhaps he will be forced to leave Adana and the protection of his father? Resulting in a jaunt around Krystara where he meets other characters and gets into all sorts of trouble? Perhaps even Sparkgrinder, Ghiralee and their pet dog Carnex could follow him in his wake to try and bring him home, always one step behind him?

2 Likes

He can’t travel with Sparkgrinder! He never sees him again.

Hence “always one step behind” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if he “borrows” Dracos

1 Like

Didn’t think about that! I like it!

Link to Ep. 3

FH: A…O, Episode 4

As they marched home through the crowded Adanan street, Finnigan’s mind wandered back to how his life had led him to Adana and more specifically to becoming a ward of the great Sparkgrinder:

“I don’t understand? Why do I have to go with them? … I don’t like them… They scare me mommmy…” the young Finn pleaded with his mother. “Please don’t argue Finn. Do not make this any harder than it has to be.” His mother urged him, failing to fight back tears that trickled down her cheeks. The Priestesses stepped forward and gently, but with determined force separated the boy from his mother. A mother sobbed, a child wept, Priestesses attempted to comfort but the Inquisitor interrupted the consolation: “We really must move on. There is simply not time for…this…” he concluded gesturing at the spectacle before him. “Not time to heal the people of Krystara?” questioned a Priestesss, her empty sockets piercing into the Inquisitor’s soul through her ceremonial white veil. “This boy is clearly healthy. He does not require your protection.” argued the flustered Inquisitor. “You speak true but your sight falls short. Before you stands a boy in perfect health in the heart of a village ravaged by Plague and Famine. Ne’er have these two left a single survivor in their wake. Why do the Horsemen’s Curses not touch this young one?”

In the Priestess’ moment of distraction, Finnigan pulled away and sprinted to his mother. “Mommy!? Please don’t let them take me? I want to stay here with you!” “No, Finn, you have to go… I… can’t…” she tried to find a gentle way to explain to her distraught child, but finding no recourse in gentility, she instead found solace in firmness. “MOMMY!” “NO!!” she countered silencing her son and the Inquisitor’s full entourage. “Finn, that is enough! You must go, the time has come for you to grow up and become a man. All of Krystara lies before you. Go… and find your destiny.” With that she turned and walked away. Her heart taking residence in her throat, tears spilled in waves as she heard her son sobbing, calling to her over and over.

As the Priestesses dragged him away, Finn overheard the two large armored Templars in a conversation that fell on the dumb, uncomprehending ears of a child, but which in mature reflection bore such intensity. “She has been Diseased. It’s only a matter of time really.” “She has ‘requested’ this?” “Yes. It is yet another way that we Heal Krystara.” “But… it feels… wrong…” “It is a heavy burden to bear, but one you must learn to shoulder if you truly wish to earn the rank of Paladin. I will stand by your side. Make your blow swift and true. This poor matron has suffered enough…”

Link to Ep. 5

6 Likes

Link to Ep. 4

FH: A… O, Episode 5

“Finn? Finn!? Krystara to Finn. Come in Finn.” Slowly coming to his senses Finn turned to his “sister”. “Oh…uh…um, sorry. I was…” “Distracted?” she cut him off. “Clearly! But what were you dwelling on? You look like you’ve seen a ghost…” Finnigan could not share the truth of his reminiscence with her. Ghiralee was a great many things, but counselor she was not. And to reveal the truth of his past would only serve to force Ghiralee into uncomfortably deep waters.

“Did I lose you again?” she asked, her jovial facade giving way to genuine concern. As was his custom, Finn sequestered his own emotions, and plastered the smile that the world needed from him upon his pate. “Are you hungry?” he asked, the question clearly catching her off guard. “Well, I suppose I could eat…” Ghiralee answered non-committally. “Great! I overheard some of the maintenance workers talking about this new place…”

The two continued in high spirits to the new eatery where they sampled the finests sweets imported directly from Silverglade. They made sure to pick something scrumptious to bring home for Sparky too. “You know he wouldn’t expect anything…” chided Ghiralee. “In fact…” she chimed in, finishing her thought, “He’s probably just been locked in his workshop since he left the College.” Finnigan nodded his agreement, stating “While you are assuredly correct, it is still appropriate to bring him some sustenance.” Finn paused for the perfect comedic beat. “We are his children after all!” This old joke set the two of them off in another fit of frivolity. As they approached their home, their laughter suffered a swift death whence they spied the door to Sparkgrinder’s workshop swinging haphazardly in the chill Adanan wind.

Author’s Note: UH-OH! Sparkgrinder NEVER leaves the door to his workshop open… What could this possibly mean? For Sparky? For Ghiralee? For Finn? Find out in Episode 6. Coming soon to a Forum Thread near you! :wink:

6 Likes

I think Finn would have a Crush on Tesla. And is it just me or there’s something off about the Horsemen of the Apocalypse? Why are Plague and Famine, the two of the passive horsemen riding out?

1 Like

Nitpick time: chill? I had Adana down as a warm coastal place - I might have written: swinging haphazardly on the salty evening breeze

Good stuff though, no offence meant, just a fellow (in-my-case-would-be) writer sharing some pictures…

2 Likes

My original draft was simply “haphazardly in the wind.”

Sometimes as I transcribe from draft to post a natural embellishment occurs, in this case, I would agree it was an ineffective occurrence.My intention was to convey that the sight of the door sent chills down their spines which were exacerbated by the evening breeze brushing against them as they stood there in shock…

Again… didn’t work quit the way I wanted. :cry:[quote=“Beowulf, post:32, topic:23864”]
And is it just me or there’s something off about the Horsemen of the Apocalypse? Why are Plague and Famine, the two of the passive horsemen riding out?
[/quote]

Love this. ;)[quote=“Beowulf, post:32, topic:23864”]
I think Finn would have a Crush on Tesla.
[/quote]

In regards to Tesla, when I originally developed this idea it was PRE Tesla, so I had not figured her into the Adanite Hierarchy. BUT… :thinking:

:wink:

2 Likes

Link to Ep. 5

FH: A… O, Episode 6

Fighting the mounting fear and trepidation, Finn suggested the most obvious solution: “You know, Ghir, he probably just got caught up in his latest project and simply forgot…” staring daggers she cut him off “Forgot to latch the door to his workshop!? Sparky may be many things, but one to leave the door to his treasure trove of inventions open to all Adana is not one of them!” Finn stood mouth agape, struggling to refute her, but alas to no avail. While he contemplated, Ghiralee armed herself with her mighty wrench.

“What do you intend to do with that?” inquried Finnigan. “Just going to make sure that his workshop is empty…” she replied ominously. Ignoring his soul, screaming for him to wait outside, Finnigan forced one foot in front of the other and followed Ghiralee inside Sparkgrinder’s sanctuary. It did not take them long to surmise that everything was in order… or at least what counted as “order” in Sparkgrinder’s chaotic world. As they carefully made their way to the dwarf’s drafting table, they discovered there a parchment, scribbled in Sparky’s own hand, and addressed to both of them. Ghiralee and Finnigan shared a quick glance, they nodded, and read.

To Dearest Ghiralee and Proudest Finn,

I regret that I must depart before you returned this evening… I don’t know what could have taken you so long to get home. None the less, the fact of the matter is this: The Hero of Krystara has need of my wrench! It would seem his Dracos malfunctioned and is currently reeking havoc all over the Wild Plains. Though I do not foresee this being overly dangerous, it will cause me to be away from some time. Ghiralee, perfect your craft, stay diligent in your studies. You have the makings of a great Mechanist. Finn, keep your head down and your chin up. You are destined for great things, my boy. I hope I live to see them!

Fondly,
Sparky

2 Likes

Dracos, huh?
I was expecting Carnex.

SO WAS I!!! :astonished:

Seriously, that was my original idea, BUT I went back and reread the Carnex story-line and it didn’t mesh with him being a “respected” (i still use the term loosely.) member of Adanite society. I forgot that he was on the run from Adana because of his Carnex antics. So, I had to audible. :football:

And before making any snide comments, yes… I actually do RESEARCH for this! :angry:

Small nitpicking. Its wreaking Havoc not reeking. Reeking means it’s smelling to the high heveans. Second, Why Wild Plains? Won’t Sunweaver just smash it? Another thing. Sparky will have to move fast before Ketras destroys it

1 Like

I know that. And you know that… but does SPARKY know that??? :thinking:

2 Likes

Update: The adventures of Finnigan Hinklebolt will return once I get back to work and have more free time!!

You: :confused:
Me: If you are a married, male teacher you know EXACTLY what I mean! :wink:

3 Likes