2.0 PvP Modification Suggestion

And as I often discover about myself I am a resident of the happy place in the middle, but if the PvP stays this way it will force me to pick. And right now the arena is looking better and better…

1 Like

@Gouki I’ve voiced my thoughts in a new post (below) but to summarize, for me the issue is that defensive losses penalize players without giving them an effective avenue to improve their abilities. By not giving players access to review the actual defensive battles, players are left guessing as to why their teams are winning or losing battles yet they’re still being penalized. It’s just bad game mechanics.

1 Like

How dare they take from us the traitstones that we never had in the old system?
Let’s be fair people, maybe the system isn’t great as we tought, but it seems like everyone thought they would be top 10 simply because they think they deserve it. It’s probablu an unpopular opinion, but the top ranked rewards are aimed at the long time veterans that are able to battle for it not only with muscles, but with TIME to actually play it…

Personally i reached tier 1, got the extra glory, gold and the soon to come glory keys i assume (we are receiving gold keys by mistake). So pretty much like the old system i’m fine with this new one. It’s a huge improvement on te interface, we can now “sniff around” everyone’s profile in the chats and add them to our guilds. What not to love?

“Oh, but there are bugs everywhere…”
Everything new is a test field and errors are part of it, that’s life folks!
I trust on the devs capacity and hope that everything should be fixed at the end of the week, as well as i trust that they will bring us some tokens for our trouble, so try not to worry.

I agree with this. The rewards for mid-core players (like me) are similar to what they were pre-patch, and the option to grindy-grind away to get some traitstones exists for those who are so inclined.

There are a few things that have frustrated me, personally:

• Regressing ranks due to defensive losses. This was either silently patched, or else my defense team suddenly got baller. I suspect the former.
  • The rewards and associated tier-ups were glacial last night. That’s been explicitly addressed by @Sirrian when he was “in the database.” As of this morning, I feel like I can gain a tier after ~3 battles against a “hard” opponent, which is slower than before, but not by a huge amount.
  • The ever-present “you are not the best” reminder when I look at my PvP rank. Previously, you could “complete” the game every week, and now it just keeps going. That’s just something me and my OCD will have to get over. Honestly, the handful of traitstones associated with the huge grind it’ll be to be #1 is not something I personally value – especially with what will in all likelihood turn out to be a last-minute crush, complete with the heartbreak/animosity of just barely getting edged out of the “good stuff.”

I’m of the opinion that things will be okay when the dust settles, though the path there might involve a bit of roller-coastering.

3 Likes

I guess it’s just a matter of perspective, with my experience on games with a similar ladder system i come to think that GoW pvp were too easy, now it seems “normal” to me. On the other hand i can understand that people might feel they are getting less by losing their ranked tier, but it’s not the case since you can claim the rewards and leave the pvp for the rest of the week. So in my opinion the new system works well for grinders and casuals. You just need to decide what you really are.

And yet, the OP has nothing to do with being in the top 10 rank or getting traitstones. So, I’m not sure why that has become part of this discussion. The vast majority of people in this thread have been complaining about tier rewards not rank rewards. Yes, customers should be able to expect that they will get the same rewards for the same relative effort in the new system.

Now, Lyya just said that they might have re-balanced some numbers. I hope that is the case. I’ll have to give it a try tomorrow since I’m too irritated from last nights PVP experience to bother right now.

To be fair though, i probably already made more extra Glory by battle rewards just today than the whole weekly Glory rewards for rank 1 used to be before the patch.

2 Likes

Well, I hope that is my experience with it tomorrow. Glory is really the only reward that mattered to me from the old system. I liked seeing that 116 glory on Mondays. :smile_cat:

1 Like

Yeah, i was adressing Gouki’s specific point. Hence why i quoted that part.

About this:

You can instantly claim your rewards of the new tier you reached, no need to wait for the end of the event. It may need MORE effort than before, because you can lose points, but in the end we are getting MORE rewards too anyway. It’s part of the competitive system.
If your complain is about the daily pvp reward that we got in the past based on our old ranks i don’t know how it is working right now, today i’ve got some gold and glory based on the Rank 2 of the old system (that one with the Shadown Dragon icon) so it was weird because i was at (Old) Rank 1, but i don’t saw the need to make a fuss about it. Later/tomorrow i’ll be able to see if i still get daily rewards based on my Tier.

1 Like

Change the system so that if you have 1-1900 points, you cannot lose any due to defense losses. Once you are over 1900 points, then defense losses take points away again, down to a hard cap of 1900.

That way, casual PVP players can still feel like we are moving forward to get the tier rewards and not just spinning our wheels, and the hardcore PVP crowd can fight it out over the rank rewards.

2 Likes

This is a great idea!

I think most of the problems would be fixed if they just didn’t allow you to be attacked so much and if you lost fewer points when attacked. I think, in principle, it makes sense to lose points for a defensive loss (and, after all, folks have complained for a long time about defense not mattering). The real problem, I think, is that the losses come hard and fast.

That said, I think the best secondary idea I’ve heard is where there are safety nets. Like maybe you can’t fall more than one tier below where you’re at currently. And this could also ease up as you get closer to the top as I do think it should become more competitive as you get to the top of the pyramid.

2 Likes

The reason I started playing this game is because the system in Marvel Puzzle Quest was so awful, and while 2.0 doesn’t seem to be THAT bad, you’re introducing worrisome mechanics - being unable to advance in an event because no matter how much you win, your defense team loses more points than you gain in the time it takes to play a match is very feels-bad, and being afraid to play on your own time because you want to reach tier 1 and don’t want to be knocked down 500 points on your off times is even worse

1 Like

They’ll fix it. And this game will never be anywhere near as bad as MPQ. Holy crap that game…

+1, this seems to solve many frustrations.

To add, matchmaking should also change a bit after you hit the 1900 plateau. You should only draw opponents really close at your ranks. That way the top will be forced to play against each other and you will have a real battle, not a battle where it just depends on which player plays the most.

And finally there should be an all-time ranking next to the weekly ranking to deal with the ‘be online at the changeover and win’-situation.

2 Likes

I wish the PvP system would use a proper ELO rating like the old Clanbase used to work with.

• The 3 options you get to fight should be very near your rank: 1 slightly below, 1 about equal, and 1 slightly above your current rank
  • You win less points for defeating the one below your rank, and more points for the one above your rank.
  • You lose more points when losing to the team below your rank, and less points when losing to the team above your rank.
  • You also lose more points when failing to defend against a lower ranked player.
  • This promotes having to battle higher ranked players to climb.

Now having said that, this is not very casual friendly. So I also suggest to use the old PvP system we had before patch 2.0 in the Casual PvP mode. Players would earn the same rewards as before until rank 1.
Ranked PvP could start after people reach rank 1 in Casual PvP, with people starting at 1500 ELO rating.
Rename the 2 modes if needed, you get the idea.

This way casual players can just level to rank 1 as before and get their rewards. More hardcore players can then start to climb the ladder, starting at 1500 ELO rating and rewards are only the current rewards for top 1000 players.

3 Likes

I agree, i have tried out the new system more and longer than the old one yesterday and i must say it takes way longer to get where i used to get before. Agreed, the payout might be a bit bigger (im not sure how this will be working exactly since i received a daily payout yesterday for reaching rank 1 last week (read: on monday to tuesday) but i guess since each attained rank receives a direct payout that this will stop?) and i dont really care you ‘can’ or ‘have’ to do a bit more pvp for rank1, i still feel like we’re going forward, but yes losing to your opponents whilst defending does feel like being punished more for casual players.

The biggest thing i keep tripping over though is that it standardly selects your defending team as your invading team in pvp so often i go into the match with the wrong team.

I don’t think this will cause less frustration. Let’s just face it, the AI plays almost any team awfully, and anybody willing to scout can counter an even somewhat successful defense team to be almost guaranteed to win. If some high level players decides to invade you, you will lose. If your points drop due to that, even by just a little amount, it no longer matters at all how much and how good you play, the only deciding factor is how well you can convince other players to ignore you. In such a system sniping isn’t a thing, it’s the thing. If you are located in a time zone that does not allow you to play the last few hours of the season, your ranking will drop all the way down to insignificance, even if you were in a top spot.

1 Like

Pretty much this. This new pvp-System is just a Mass-Grining System. Its just reward players, how plays hours and hours.

1 Like

I think a silent patch went out that removes penalties for defense losses – either that or literally the only person who attacked me in the last 18 hours lost.

That said, the tier system takes more battles than the previous rank system, but not overly so. It’s not hard to get to tier 5 over a week. You’d only need to average 6 or 7 matches a day. Tier 1 is harder, of course, but hardly unmanageable.

Edit: of course, the PVP ranking ladder is much more grind-focused. But that’s to be expected in a system where only a limited number of people can achieve the highest ranks.