2.0 PvP Modification Suggestion

@Raiyek I think you summed it up very well. I agree whole-heartedly. Nice post, btw! :wink:

I very much agree with this, Tier Rewards should absolutely not go DOWN just because your defense team cannot win against high level players.

Ranked rewards are fine as it is, let the hardcore battle it out with each other. Tier rewards are sorely lacking though and something needs to be said to make them more ā€œcasual friendly.ā€

4 Likes

I mostly agree with this. Although I do think there should be SOME loss in Tier points upon a lose in defense. Not a huge one (Iā€™ve had some that are like 23 points!) but maybe like a flat rate of 3-4 per loss or something. I DONT think you should be able to go DOWN a Tier though, that is intrinsically frustrating.

There needs to be a reason for the meta to affect the defensive battles also.

1 Like

I would agree with your point if PVP was live and dynamic. It isnā€™t. There is no one defense team to rule them all. Ideally, I would craft a defense that takes into account who I was defending against. I would field a completely different team against a TD AOE team versus a skull damage team. I would also run that team 100X better than the AI. I understand what they tried to attempt, but it just isnā€™t logical for the static nature of this game. So, not even the hardcore should be penalized for fights they arenā€™t actually controlling.

3 Likes

@Ashasekayi To be perfectly honest, I agree completely with you. I was merely offering the ā€œsupposedā€ argument of a hardcore top-tier PvPer who would want the challenge. I have made no secret of the fact that that is not me. :wink:

This. I can take down basically any team at any time, given advance knowledge of the enemy team and barring extremely unfortunate RNG. Iā€™m not special; there are many players that have higher power level than I do. This means itā€™s essentially impossible for me to not regress when a high-level player attacks me. That just isnā€™t fun. If Iā€™m going to lose points, I want it to be due to my own (lack of) skill rather than someone elseā€™s vs. a dumb computer.

4 Likes

Iā€™d suggest modding it back to 1.08

Perhaps the Devs should allow players to not lose rank at first until they reach past 10? After that grace period, the gloves come off and youā€™ll have to do your best since the top 1000 players stand to earn some extra goodies. Seems like a fair trade off.

First I think you mean not lose TIER until 10. If they want to do that, then I would suggest that they extend the grace period til TIER 5, since they have on multiple occasions compared that with the OLD Systems Rank 1.

1 Like

The problem is that you have little to no control over the number of defensive battles youā€™re involved in. At best, you can make a defensive team that discourages people from even trying to fight it. No defensive team is bulletproof, people are more likely to win their invades than not, particularly at high levels of play, and so climbing ranks or tiers depends primarily on whether you invade more often than you are invaded. Itā€™s not clear how the matchmaking system has changed, but given the changes to the revenge system, itā€™s unlikely that you can prevent people from invading you like you could in the old system.

You can only invade one player at a time, but any number of players can invade you simultaneously. Basically, unless thereā€™s something in place to prevent it, itā€™s quite possible for someone to get hammered at a rate they literally cannot overcome.

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s what I meant by it. I think having a grace period would be a fair thing to have. Whether it will be up to Tier 10 or as you suggest up to Tier 5 is up to the devs to decide. I say 10 for starters just to make sure its bug free and if its not as difficult as players might think it is to go up further afterwards.

Honestly the whole tier system needs an overhaul, there has to be some way to equalize it to the old systemā€™s rank 1. As it currently stands itā€™s not even close.

I donā€™t mind the ranked stuff, as thatā€™s going to be the most hardcore players anyway. But I absolutely am concerned about how difficult ā€œtiering upā€ is in this patch.

I will say luckily I am on PS4 so whatever they do to balance it out will already be done when we actually get this patch. I suppose the consoles have some advantages.

3 Likes

Iā€™m a bit of a causal player and the 2.0 update means I wonā€™t ever be able to get any meaningful reward out of PVP. I donā€™t have a huge amount of time to spend hours a day playing the game, but have always enjoyed playing a few games here or there throughout the day. Doing this before the update, I could still get to Rank 1 in PVP by the end of the week and get a nice little bonus. That is now impossible with the new system cause I will never get more than a few ranks up. The rewards from ranking are also pointless for 99% of player because only the top 20, out of thousands of players, get anything worthwhile. While I guess that was the idea, it would still be nice if the Ranking reward spread was a bit wider so more players could feel some sort of accomplishment for getting a higher rank. Right now, it doesnā€™t matter if you are rank 1000 or 10,000, you get the same reward in the end, so why push for a higher rank? So far, the new PVP system has been a disappointment for me, hopefully it can be addressed in some way because I do enjoy playing.

5 Likes

To me tier should be effected by casual and normal pvp and should use the old star system. Rank should be effected by normal pvp and be the way it was intended to work. I love The premise of what they wanted but they could not predict the fires they had.

1 Like

The point tallies have shifted quite a bit since last nightā€“Iā€™m doing much better now. Actually, Iā€™m enjoying the calculation more than I used toā€“

Like, Iā€™m picking lots of hard matches. A potential gain of 40 points with a potential loss of 5 points is a lot more attractive than a potential gain of 10 points with a potential loss of 5 points. If I play a handful of hard matches, I can lose a few and still keep moving up in tierā€“this is a lot better than the old system, where every match had identical risks and rewards.

In the old system, Iā€™d play the less risky matches until I reached championā€“I didnā€™t want to break a win streak with a loss. It was kind of a bummer because that mean skipping some interesting match-ups.

And the extra glory from revenge & rival match ups is really nice! 7 glory isnā€™t a HUGE number but itā€™s more than double what the old PVP matches were worth.

Now that Iā€™m getting used to the thing (and not spinning wheels perpetually at Tier 14) Iā€™m really enjoying it. You can move up Tiers quite quickly if you go for harder matches.

1 Like

I would love to try, my game crashes after every battleā€¦ :frowning:

Thanks for voicing my opinions here. Iā€™ve been playing this game a long time and felt deeply let down by the new release. I have been grinding away and canā€™t get past level 14, either, and Iā€™m always picking the hardest fight possible, and while I label myself a casual player, being work from home most of the time lets me sit and play a match or two every hour or so during the day.

Basically, to me, Gems of War should never be a deeply competitive game or if it is, it has to follow very strict rules and make it not necessary to the main part of the game. Being that this is ultimately a puzzle game with some light card gaming/rpg on the side, I am not sure that making the game feel so much more competitive is the right idea.

Secondly, the whole idea of defenses that you canā€™t play for yourself having negative impact on your game is very, very upsetting. It gives me this sense that I have to be constantly on top of the game and that makes me stressful, and adds to the stress of the day rather than subtracts. If I start feeling like I need to play more than the few hours a day (aggregate) just to keep competitive, this game loses its purpose because Gems of War is not my job, it is my relaxation from my job. When it becomes a requirement to play it constantly, it is not a fun game, and those that disagree with me probably donā€™t have a lot of major stresses like a job and mortgage and family. KEEP THIS GAME RELAXING.

3 Likes

I am somewhat curious, what else did people that arenā€™t happy with how it turned out expected a ladder system to accomplish in the first place?
Last time i checked here on the forums, the hype was huge and the demand for a ladder was loudly voiced. And now people seem to be all sorts of pissed about not being able to top the ladder because of the time investment needed.

And donā€™t get me wrong i understand that number of games played/time invested being the main factor for ranking is not satisfying for everyone, i voiced my concern about that when the previews were posted, but i am really curious how else people think ranking should be handled in a game where win ratios of so many players are so high and similar to begin with.

As for the rewards, You still get gold from playing, you still get keys from playing and you get even more glory from playing than before, only thing people miss out by not ranking top20 are the traitstones.

1 Like

I would expect that the group of people who were thrilled about the ladder system & the group of people who are repelled by a ladder system wouldnā€™t overlap very much on a Venn diagram.

3 Likes

@Gouki The concern is not with the ladder, most of the opinions expressed here have said that the RANKED PvP seems to be fine, though still concerns with losing points for AI failure is unfair.

The real issue is with the TIER rewards which were supposed to be the same as the OLD system and aligned with Casual play. That is simply not the case.

4 Likes