Weird Sphynx bug

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened?
I triggered the Sphynx ability, expecting to have the board shuffle. Instead, the board was reset like for Abhorat ability, and instead of having one extra turn, I got three, without a single 4+ match. And by that I mean that after the board reset, I got my extra turn + played another troop spell (the Dark Maiden) + had another turn on top. Weirdest bug I ever encountered. For a moment I actually thought the game was stuck on my turn.

What are the steps to make it happen again?
No idea. I was playing the Arena on Windows 7 if that helps. I had both Firefox and Zoom Player running in the background. It only happened once in my entire GoW experience. I have no clue what happened.

Do you have any screenshots or video you want to share with us so we can see the problem? Attach them to your post!
No, I was really not expecting anything. I’ll try to record the rest of the Arena in case it happens again, but I’d be really surprised if it did.

2 Likes

Now that would be one heck of a buff for 1.0.9. Shuffle the board and gain 3 extra turns!

I think we can troll the forums with this new ability. :imp:

4 Likes

Please don’t… been enough of that recently!

Okay this is a weird one. Please let us know if this happens again.

Also would be useful to know if you only see this in Arena or does it happen in regular battles.

Well, I haven’t seen it anywhere else, ever. Also, I finished said Arena without the bug recurring. Maybe the game thought the battle was dragging on for too long? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I just had a similar bug happen to me in a challenge. Khetar, “Conquest”, 2nd difficulty level. Sphinx was the last unit left on the board for the AI. It used its power, but nothing happened. Control stayed with the AI, which then matched a trio of skulls. Then the board jumbled and control passed to me.

Edit: tried again on the fourth difficulty. Was not able to reproduce the event. Sphinx fired off its ability multiple times without the oddness.

I’ve had the board reset rather than jumble a few times while using War Sphinx in regular pvp matches. Never gotten bonus extra turns from it though.

To avoid duplicate threads about what is probably the same (bunch of) bug(s), I’m reviving this here thread and also linking to the other similar one that took place in between (War Sphinx Strangeness) instead of creating a third one. Hope that’s okay.

Current Bug:

Arena game (duh). The AI (not me) had just used the War Sphinx (/Sphynx)'s spell, when…

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened?
I was expecting him to jumble the board, gain an extra turn, play it, and then let me finish him off.

Instead, he Destroyed the World ™ Abhorat style, gained an extra turn, but simply stopped playing. It’s the AI’s turn, but it won’t play it, so I’m stuck.

I can’t even hit “Retreat”, actually, since it’s not my turn. All I can do is close the game aggressively, it seems.

Note that the screen/game doesn’t appear to be frozen. I can move the cursor around, though I can’t click on anything. And the little triangle pointer at the top showing whose turn it is is still actively dangling to show that it’s the AI’s turn to play. It’s just that the AI won’t make a move.

What are the steps to make it happen again?

Face an opposing line-up that includes a Sphynx and wait until you get unlucky and the bug procs? I’m not sure if the fact that it’s the last troop standing, or that he’s at the bottom, or anything else plays a part, honestly. First time this ever happens to me, but since there were similar reports in the past (although all the others played him themselves, so they didn’t get stuck), I’m hoping this will help identify the issue and eventually fixing it.

Do you have any screenshots or video you want to share with us so we can see the problem? Attach them to your post!

So, as you can see, it’s still his turn, but he won’t budge. So it looks like I’m actually going to have to take a freaking loss when I’m in such a dominant position, solely due to this bug… :slight_frown:

Could you please review and advise? Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Fine, I took the loss (had to Alt+F4 the game, then I got an update, and then I had a loss).

I’ve had the same bug just yesterday and today. It has happened at minimum 15 times.

Always in PvP (never tested elswhere): I get 1 extra turn, the board resets from the top like Abhorath, the number of each type of gem is randomized (vs proper jumble which keeps same gems just rearranges them).

I have noticed that it never happens when the board is quite random. However, with the team I’m using, by the time I cast Jumble I have usually reduced the complexity of the board down to 4-5 gem types. I’m not the QA department for this game, but to me this suggests that when the game has to jumble the board and can’t come up with a distribution that doesn’t automatically trigger 4-bangers, it gives up and just does the Abhorath-style board reset. EDIT: If this is the case and it’s not high on the fix-it list, please devs, change it to just mirror the existing board so the gem distribution doesn’t change!!!

QA can PM me for details on my team or you can check your database for my PvP with Sphinx at the top. Invite code: KRUDLERTHEHORSE

edit2: Maaaybe I’m being a bit silly now… but I wouldn’t be surprised if its some kind of secret combo cancelling mechanism.

1 Like