Upcoming Changes

I do not understand these changes at all @Nimhain. As we have several counters to deathmark, imune to deathmark, impervious and troops with mana drainers. I mean that the differently tactics could already be worked out before the opponent troop has deathmarked any of the troops. Also all the other troops/creeping death DM is pretty perfect as they currently are, except from the DK class.

Deathknight: Its the problem now. Should get a fix on his 3rd trait. DM 2 enemies upon death.
Death: Was never a problem in the first place, takes 24 manas for the enemy to pump him up. It will be enough time to pump up any of the mana drainers to counter.
Wraith: Easy counter, have a troop that is immune to deathmark/impervious in the front.
Creeping Death weapon: Rarely to met in PvP. Never much of a problem as it only can death mark two troops.

8 Likes

deathknight should probably just deathmark less troops, like 2-3 troops not all 4

3 Likes

Yeah, thats really the only thing they need to do in my honest opinion, to change the DK so it DM 2 random enemy troops upon death. Nerfing DM itself which is currently perfect, is a mistake.

6 Likes

Amazing!!! Thanks so much devs! :heart_eyes:

That would not stop the outrage though. It would still result in the rare deaths of troops from players that refuse to use stun, or adapt their kill order to circumvent the trait.
On the other hand now these people might have to rely on using cleanse, so even that change might not shut down the outrage for long.
And just to be clear, i am indifferent to this change, i personally absolutely don’t need it, but i also don’t necessarrily think it is a bad change as long as the Devs use this opportunity to make Death somewhat better or even more interesting.

4 Likes

maybe it wouldnt stop the rage but it would balance the game more,

right now the nerf affects other troops which were balanced well and they gonna need a buff

1 Like

All that’s likely to happen currently is you’ll see a fully traited mercy on every defence team too.
I’m with eika on this, there’s enough counters to build a team around rather than changing the dm effect.

4 Likes

Not when you’re trying to build a team of a single color. Please show me a winning team for every color that includes all Impervious troops, or a global cleanse troop. It’s not possible. And thus DK cannot be countered.

3 Likes

How do you define pay to win?

Crafting is usually the definitional antithesis of pay to win because it allows FtP players acquire all the cards without spending any money…???

I know that single colour battles are now a thing with guild wars but they’re usually horrible to play with, surely it’s worth having one troop of a different colour if it will counter or cleanse? If you’re forced to battle with same colour troops 30 times a week I’m not sure if I’ll find it particularly enjoyable but I’ll reserve judgement until consoles get GW.

more or less, when we will see the craftinf system?

There are surprisingly well rounded monocolour teams to be found, and it is much of the fun of GW for me.
However you are absolutely correct about it being worth it to use troops of different colour if it increases the synergy and functionality of the team in a significant way.
You are not even losing that many points for using one different coloured troop, something around ~15% to less than 25% depending on the level of your Guardians.
Sadly though people seem to feel entitled to earn the absolute maximum points regardless of the teambuilding effort they put in and without adapting playstyle to enemy teams. Then they fall in ridiculous hyperbole at the prospect of only using 3 troops of the daily colour how doing so would let the guild down and stuff like that.

4 Likes

I guess “community” is just the few that complain the loudest.

3 Likes

I have not commented on this thread as there are a few super verbose and extremely diligent posters repeatedly posted their opinion that the move of DM Turn 1 is awful. I appreciate their passion for the game, even though I disagree.

Moving Death Mark to Turn 1 is the right direction. Players should have the ability to “COUNTER” Death Mark cast on troops. Countering after its cast is separate and different from “IMMUNITY” (Warded, Impervious) to Death Mark. (also important mechanism for balance).

It unfortunate DM went from 2 to 0 and now to 1, as opposed to always starting at 1. But this just shows the developers are trying to balance the ability, not that the are personally attacking someones favorite mechanic.

7 Likes

Exactly, exactly my friend. :relieved:

3 Likes

I think the huge Death Mark backlash this week was due to a perfect storm of circumstances all hitting at once:

a) the potential RNG instant destruction of Death Mark, previously, was tempered in a few ways: Troops capable of Death Marking either could only DM 1-2 enemy troops at once, or the only troop that could DM a full team (Death) was both super hard to get and cost a ton of mana to cast so you could manage it.

b) Now suddenly we have a new Hero class - which suddenly gives everyone a troop with full team Death Mark capability, not just the relatively few with Death. It isn’t rare anymore.

c) Not only that, but having a Dark traitstone glory-purchase week allowed a ton of people to instantly trait up their Deathknight.

d) And the full-team Death Mark is basically free - in fact it’s guaranteed to happen unless you carefully build a Stun team (more on that later) full of compromises to deal with the hero.

e) Even worse, it’s not a spell so the usual mana drain approach just doesn’t work at all, making it even harder to avoid.

So basically we’re seeing a massive increase in automatic full-team Death Marks, which means a ton of frustration because overnight, victory suddenly now relies much less on strategy and much, much more on hoping the Random Number Gods don’t just kill a few of your troops for the heck of it.

But wait, there’s more!

Guild Wars cranks up the tension by making any GW losses at all incredibly punishing. Missing out on the last battle cuts your daily points fully in half. In PVP if you get defeated due to randomness no problem, just fight a few more and you’ll make up for it. But in Guild Wars… forget it. Those points are gone forever, and they’re huge.

Plus Guild Wars puts a premium on setting the strongest Defense team possible. So we’re not seeing easy defense teams built to get Revenge matches, we’re seeing teams built to win using the best way available given the defense AI: Hail Marys based on RNG. And the best troop in the game at that, which suddenly nearly everyone has and is suddenly incentivized to put on GW defense every single day? You guessed it. He’s everywhere.

And then on top of it all we only get max points by building single-color teams. This means compromises. This cuts way, way down in our available options for handling Mr. Deathknight: Mana Drain obviously is a no go. A full team immune to Death Mark will get creamed by the other 3 troops. Building a team able to Stun a specific enemy, plus do enough damage at the precise time when the Hero is Stunned, is difficult enough - but doing it with a single color team that’s _also able to win a match_is damn near impossible.

Cleanse isn’t a defense because of that first-turn free shot. Changing this might help.

But right now we’re left with the feeling that we’ve been set up to fail. It’s massively frustrating and discouraging. It isn’t fun. It doesn’t make me want to play any more. I’ve been playing for a long time and this week has easily been the single most frustrating and least fun week of all of them.

Last week at this time everything was different.

10 Likes

That is achieved by literally just exchanging one troop with a troop capable of stunning. On 3 of the 6 GW days you can just put in a troop with knockout, which practically auto-handles Deathcurse without paying any attention to it. On 2 of the remaining 3 GW days you can simply use Emperor Khorvash, who again practically autohandles that problem with only little attention needed. For the remaining day(green) you just use manticore and fire him the turn before you finish off the DK.

3 Likes

You are still making some excellent points in this thread, good to see. :wink:

How about having Deathcurse DM 1+number of missing ally troops. Ex. Deathknight dies 3 troops left 2 enemy troops DMed. This lets it scale up to four but doesn’t allow for a first turn DM apocalypse

Wowzers! Any idea when us console player’s will be getting Guild Wars patch and current troop buffs/nerfs etc?