The Future of The Dragon Soul

Dragon teams are all the rage right now on consoles, and of course, The Dragon Soul is right at the heart of that rage. I would estimate that about 40-50% of the teams I encounter in PvP have at least one TDS. I like him, too, don’t get me wrong, but his legendary trait DEFINITELY needs to be changed.

Why? The problem with any trait that triggers on death is that its usefulness becomes incredibly weighted in favor of the computer opponent just due to the sheer number of times each player’s troops die. Theoretically, sure, if both my opponent and I are using TDS, we could both benefit from a 25% chance of having another TDS spawn. The reality, though, is that most players win more than 90% of their battles, and most battles are won without losing a single troop. I win over 98% of my invades, so while practically every battle against TDS affords the opponent a chance to respawn, in only about 3 or 4% of my games do I have a similar opportunity. I can honestly say out of the 200-300 games I’m played with TDS, I don’t recall him respawning for me once (it’s certainly possible he has, though). Just in the last hour of PvP, however, I’ve encountered four particularly ornery opponent TDS’s that respawned four or more times. Playing Whack-a-TDS is not a particularly fun game, even if you still come out victorious in the end.

I think Infernal King’s legendary trait is fine, because it was unique and the first of its kind, and I always thought of him as the eternal king anyway. Aside from the obvious fact that TDS’s trait is a carbon copy and thus not truly “legendary”, I don’t identify TDS with his current trait, and it makes an already annoying troop that much more annoying.

I am not unmindful that some traits are important for defensive purposes. But I think traits should be fair game for everybody. I sincerely hope “on death” traits are used sparingly (particularly for legendary traits), and that the much-needed replacement trait for TDS does not employ such a requirement, because it means that for the vast majority of battles, players won’t have access to its use.

1 Like

TDS could fire of his spell on death (even if its mana was empty). That way he would secure some mana for your team and a few souls.

3 Likes

Does that not seem a little excessive though? In some cases that would mean his legendary trait is essentially “Explode x amount of gems and do 20 damage to all enemies”.

Maybe just the explosion for the trait without the damage, excluding exploded skulls.

1 Like

Why would something that only happens once and only in case that your troop dies (which is bad by itself) be excessive?

That’s the point, when your troop dies it’s supposed to be bad. Having a trait that can potentially take out your entire team purely because you killed one of theirs is a bit too much.

Right now he resurects and is able to cast his spell unlimited amount of times, given that you gather mana.
With what i suggested, you get a dead trait, that only works if your troops dies. And no one wants that their troop dies. But if it does die, it gets to cast its spell only once, not multiple times like with resurection.

1 Like

A valid point. However I don’t think I’ve ever seen TDS cast after possession activates. I’ve always killed him again before he can cast. Saying that we all have different experiences with these sort of things.

I see where you’re coming from though.

1 Like

Defence team of 4x Dragon Soul. Guaranteed 62 (?) AOE damage to all of your troops, plus exploded skulls x4, plus whatever the troops do while they’re actually alive. I know you could stun them, but that still seems problematic to me.

3 Likes

Well since the dragon is dead it doesnt count for bonus damage so it would be:
17+14+11+8 damage. 50 guaranteed damage. It does seem like a big number, but bellow half HP of end game troops.
Im just throwing ideas :slight_smile:

How about enchanting all dragon allies on death? Or maybe just enchanting all allies? Fits in well with the trait name “possession” and could be very useful whilst not being too OP

4 Likes

End-game maybe, but early to mid-game, that would be seriously OP. The fact that it would also charge up the next TDS in line whenever one died means that you’d probably end up facing at least 6-8 casts (even if it didn’t manage to get some 4-matches after an explosion and self-loop) in order to kill 4 of them. I’d take an occasional match with multiple resurrections over this alternative every time.

Eventually, they need to give TDS the unique 3rd trait that it deserves.

2 Likes

This is true.

As for early game problems, how many early game players will have 4 TDS and fully traited it? Im an endgamer in a top guild, i still dont have it at mythic (so far i got 5 copies, but i have 274 mythic troops. .)

I have no idea, but sometimes I’ll take some 1 trophy matches with some sub-200 level players that have pretty stacked lineups. If you’re in a decent guild and active, or are willing to invest some real-life cash in a thoughtful way, it could be done. I was thinking more of mid-game players putting that as their defence lineup and the poor suckers below them that are trying to fight through the 3-trophy matchups.

1 Like

Stunning them also fully prevents it from happening, making it a completly dead trait.
Having 4 of the same exact troop on defense isnt a good idea.
I get your point though.
Like i said just, throwing ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have similar concerns as @Stan does. Nothing else in the game will guarantee damage like this; all other damage is essentially avoidable if you have great luck or great board control. For players with “David” teams vs. a Goliath, they’d mathematically have zero hope of winning if they don’t meet the Effective Health Bar.

I do like the idea of a troop buffing its allies on its death, and Dragon Soul sounds like a great troop for that.

6 Likes

I also like the idea of Dragon Soul buffing allies on death, especially if you just make it dragon allies (which would fit with the rest of how Dragon Soul works). I like the idea of all dragon allies getting +X to all skills on death or something like that, as long as it wasn’t too excessive. It would also fit with the character theme, as he could “possess” the rest of the dragon allies and give them extra power.

I really like this idea.

Guaranteed damage on death sounds way too good, but I like the rest of the idea.
Something like “on death, explode 10 random gems and gain 10 souls” sounds pretty fun to me.

I’m sorry for necroing this thread but I think I have a idea. Dragons all of them lack on thing mainly, a buffing ability on magic and a way for the entire team to be cleansed. So I’m thinking of a idea. But currently it’s not forming. I hope some of the basic ideas I have provided here churn out some better than what I have planned

Give a random ally dragon 1 magic on 4/5 match.

4 Likes