Patch 1.0.9 Preview Part 2

@sethrogensbackhair it was funny 15 years ago with some of those gifs, also you are a grown up man. We are in 2016 now, and I feel most of them just ruin the board. You might find them extremely funny, but the truth is, most finds them quite annoying. Feel free to use them in any Off topics threads.

9 Likes

Sorry but a 50% reduction in turns coupled with a 20% boost in rewards doesn’t really qualify as making it more attractive to everybody. That is still an overall reduction in rewards from treasure maps. Considering the general opinion was the rewards weren’t good enough it seems like you basically solved no problems, and instead further torpedoed the mode. Now if you made it so we got every extra turn we earn instead of just one per move I might have agreed with your statement.

I am a little unclear, once I reach rank 1 will I then always be playing with the combo breaker off for PvP? The equivalent of hard difficulty? Will I gradually gain the bonuses I used to have for playing on hard mode as the combo breaker shifts off? Or has my resource generation been further reduced while my gameplay remains the same as previously?

And sadly the rest of this preview is meh. The chat seems too unwieldy to actually be of much use. Messages going to the world screen is kind of ok, except I don’t spend any time on the world screen. Maybe it is because I play on mobile, but if I am in this game I am playing matches not sitting around on the world screen wishing peeps would talk to me. Also opting out of global chat needs to be a sticky setting not one that we have to choose every time (doesn’t really matter that much to me since I won’t be there to see the messages, but I am betting that is going to become a problem for peeps). The mail system is fine, but doesn’t really add much it seems. Just a different place to go to pick up stuff that used to either pick up automatically upon login, or had a simple button to click to get anyway.

Sorry I can’t get more excited guys, but you go with what amounts to a treasure map nerf when they needed a serious buff, and then follow up with what most likely will end up crippling my resource generation during PvP. So a double hit to the things I actually still enjoy doing in this game. After that I don’t even care about the hero changes anymore. I guess I am just waiting for the next patch at this point.

-Razlath

4 Likes

I agree with @Macawi. It’s getting rather annoying.

3 Likes

@Razlath, a 50% reduction in starting turns is only equal on average to a 10-20% reduction in turns played during a game, not a 50% reduction of turns played.

Prior to the reduction, I averaged about 85 turns. Now I average about 70 turns.

4 Likes

can i be a player tester that is more “average” than you guys? i dont get near that many moves. I dont get gobs of vaults (as mentioned… i get like 1 every 25 maps of trying to get one)

I would love this!!!

2 Likes

I have to agree with this as long as you didn’t screw with the Treasure Map game board code. At the beginning of Maps you can usually earn several Extra Turns with careful matching.

I don’t generally get a vault on 85 moves… maybe 1 if I’m very lucky.
If I sit down and concentrate to get a bunch of vaults, that’s a LOT more moves than 150!

The distribution of turns is something like this:
Absolute Beginner: previously 35-40, now 25-30
Beginner: previously 50, now 40
Intermediate: previously 75, now 60
Good: previously 85, now 70
Advanced: previously 100, now 85
Godlike: previously 150+, now 130+

And @TaliaParks, the board game code is identical to 1.0.8 - no changes there.

3 Likes

What does the ‘Score 7,754’ in the screen dump mean?

Vaults may be much harder to get with the 8 moves, but if you’re not getting 1+ vaults per map, then you are probably missing some of the patterns that cascade into 5 matches. About 10% of my maps I don’t get 1 or more vaults, and it’s usually because I missed a couple match 5s early on form sloppy play.

@Sirrian Good to hear about the game board code. I like the new Treasure Map ideas so far then.

Also, as for a Global Chat. I used to be a hardcore avid Deck Heroes player. I was one of the first top-level players, built a top 5 Guild from the ground up, made a Forum because the game developers didn’t moderate theirs and even built a Wiki.

The point is, the Global Chat was the worst feature in the entire game. It was filled with spam, promo codes (Invite codes) and a TON of hateful and abusive language. You could block users but only for 2 hours then you had to re-block and if you logged out you’d have to re-block. Also, you could only report 5 players every 24 hours.

I hope you guys put a lot of time and thought into instituting a Global Chat, because it’s guaranteed to cause you guys headaches.

2 Likes

Thanks @Sirrian for answering concerns and for numbers we couldn’t gather on our own for this conversation!

So the result is that it ends up being about a 20% reduction in overall turns for a 20% increase in rewards. So on the surface that seems like a net zero per map reward. Yes, they are completed faster so resource per minute increases, but map to map they stay the same. Except generally the higher chests are generated near the end of the match. The end of the match never occurs so those chests are never generated. So the end result is overall it still feels like a reduction. Not as much of one with your explanation, but still a reduction on a mode that was already considered “worthless” by many players. It is a far cry from “worthless” to “amazing” I feel like there was more boost (technically any boost at this point) that could have been given.

-Razlath

1 Like

@Razlath, well we DO give traitstones now too (1 for every 15 turns you play)
And the game is 10-20% faster leaving you time to do something else afterwards!

3 Likes

Going by the screenshots, everything expires after 24 hours, even weekly rewards and refunds. Any chance to let the weekly reward mail live a bit longer, like till the end of the week? Just to be on the safe side, there might actually exist casual players that don’t log in every day, as weird as that sounds. :wink:

That’s my point. An average player will never see a vault again. even if VERY lucky. You are right - i cant see the cascade to 4 or 5 if its more than 3 lines away from where I am doing a move that’s what i think makes me an average player. Most of my vaults are in the last 5 moves and i give up some of the last 4 moves to make them POSSIBLE.

Back when we had the other types of keys, i learned to play for green because the red and vaults were just not worth it. Now trying to retrain to look for red because of the keys. What I really wish was that vaults were guaranteed worth getting. like no gold or souls, maybe not even glory. As it stands they waste the 3 to 5 red chests and only a minuscule chance of getting a key better than what can be obtained in the red chest.

2 Likes

Is the traitstone drop basically just like a roll we would get after a match? So a similar distribution of minor, major, etc.?

Also, I didn’t give credit and that is wrong, but thanks for the TH closing screen. I like any time I can see a judge of my stats and judge my improvement.

-Razlath

@TaliaParks, we did make certain that chat could be switched off. That’s the final solution I guess.

There is language filter in place & flood filters, both with warnings & auto-banning for repeat offenders… but honestly, a persistent person will figure out a way around those, so we had to make sure that it could be switched off as a final resort.

1 Like

Until there is a way to consume multiple maps per use, I don’t see myself doing it. The extra traitstone is nice, but in the time it takes to play 75 turns (5 random stones) I could easily blitz through many challenges and get traitstones targeted at the colors I need.

Also, no word on mass disenchant?

Hmm… @Fourdottwoone weekly rewards should have 1 week expiry, and refunds no expiry at all. I’ll try and make sure that’s addressed before we go live.

1 Like

Damn, I must really suck at treasure maps. I’ve played a few dozen, only managed to get a vault once. To add insult to injury, I distinctly remember getting gold from it. :disappointed:

I really like the treasure map changes. Very glad traitstones have been added. I’ll probably start playing them again. (Although, I do wish you received a trophy for completing a map.)

The chat looks cool too. Not sure how I feel about the difficulty adjustment, but we’ll see.