Lots of Previews - Guild Wars, Crafting, Dungeons, and more!

For those worried about the scoring being based on RnG, it’s always been that way. All players have swings of good luck, cascades, starting boards, and bad ones. What you do with them is the difference, and I believe that’s what the scoring is trying to evaluate. In a single game or even day, luck might play a big role. But over time, the decisions you make (skill) to deal with those random events stars to separate the good players from the bad. This is no different than in poker, where anything can happen in the short term, but in the long term skill starts to show.

The current scoring only has 2 controllable factors, color and losing troops. This has already locked us into a single play style and meta with sunmoners. The new scoring has 5 factors, 3 new and different ways to play. And they are not necessarily compatible, in that you can’t really do all of them, you need to pick certain elements to focus on. This choice doesn’t lock i the meta like the curren summoning scoring, it opens up new ways to play. I’ll also wait for full evaluation until we can try it, but I’m very optimistic about this being a better way than what we have now.

6 Likes

Ok. So the better game play a player has gives them a higher score?

I just wanted to highlight this post here… @beanie42 congratulations brudda you win the Best Post Vangor Has Seen All Week award! Thank you brudda

2 Likes

Everything I wanted to say, but couldn’t find the words for.

The scoring changes are more for opening up the meta, mostly on defense but as defense changes invade teams will adapt. With more factors that effect the score other defensive strategies can emerge that use the different factors to deny points.

In theory, this should prevent the static meta that we currently have. And by keeping how the different factors are weighted secret, it will keep us from figuring out the most efficient teams in a week or two.

One other idea is that they can tweak how each of the factors is weighted each week so that no meta can ever become permanent.

2 Likes

:thinking: nice

I bet people will find it very quick no worry

1 Like

Perhaps, but it will take longer than it would if we knew how they would effect the scores right from the start.

You are right but i don’t see the need to make is secret. Do you know any game or sport where you don’t know exactly how many points you will make if you make a specific move? Imo it remove any kind of strategy.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with you. I’m just pointing out that they have reason for it to be kept a secret, not that it is a particularly good reason.

1 Like

We did ask… More than once but they were on weekend already. So I’m waiting for them to get back before saying anything else.

3 Likes

The point is that RNG will have a bigger impact than before. No luck and skull cascade happens, and so on, you lost two troops? It’s okay because you can summon two other troops and finish with a perfect score. But in this case, you will certainly loose the “fewer turns” and “more damage than AI”…
Of course, bad luck can happen and your summoner can be killed on the 2nd turn, I don’t deny it.

1 Like

Random happening is fine. No basketball player makes every shot they take, no baseball player gets a hit every time they step up to the plate. More variance in scores will be fine here too. The better players will consistently score higher than the average. This just changes the goal from getting the ‘max’ score to preforming well at several different things and getting above average scores.

2 Likes

I think this is the whole idea, noone will be able to achieve a perfect score anymore, but we will have many different ways to achieve a high score. And this will bring more diversity to GW, imho.

4 Likes

I strongly disagree that this will be the cause of more diversity in GW. It will increase frustration about the scoring, but diversity is created by the defenses that people set, and there is absolutely nothing in the previewed changes that would entice players to set anything else than their best defense (which will be similar and annoying because outside of the event bonus boosted troops there is just a small subset of troops that is viable in a defense that is aimed at winning under AI control (which is what you want in GW to deny the other guild points)).

1 Like

@turintuor Yup, if only some rules count … for example having all 4 troops, and then looking at your best scored criteria (winning in 3 turns thanks to cascades OR having much better mana management OR dealing a lot more damage than your AI enemy etc.) - that would be actually very promising. I’d like that. Because I’ll know I’d be rewarded for luck in turns, but I wouldn’t have to rely on it if I don’t because there are other ways to get the points. Nice thought.

@beanie42 The luck has been tangible, so far, though. If you lost a troop because of RNG … Well … You lost a troop. You can’t blame anyone else for loosing one.
But now people get more points because they can accumulate mana from cascades. For example… Exploding Dragon Soul 5 times in a row. According to what they say - that’s abilities cast, mana gained and damage dealt, all in 1 turn if you manage to get an extra turn.
I don’t say RNG shouldn’t be a factor - but I’m saying that RNG shouldn’t be the deciding factor in the most competitive mode in this game (so far). What you are saying might end up the opposite way, because if you have to play according to 5 criteria - you have much fewer options for team building.
Before, you only needed the colors and a summoner. Now you’re going to need all of those things if you want to be “best” according to the game.

Naturally, it all comes down to how will it actually work, but if all the criteria apply at the same time - I will be worried. Not for my own stead but for others who do not like to change their whole gameplay just to hunt the last few points. I can adapt but I understand others might not find it fun.

1 Like

I think that RNG shouldn’t be a factor, or at least should be minimized as much as possible, in the most competitve part of the game, as you say. Especially if the aim is to reward the good players.

I didn’t read all the posts, but just wanted to add:

If guild wars counted the loss of player troops at any point during the match (excluding ones killed by own cards perhaps) then they can still count “skill” without everyone needing to use one or more summoners.

No deaths period = more points.

I do appreciate the effort the team is making, but I don’t think rewards are worth the trouble moving into next patch. When crafting comes, assuming I can actually get the mythic I want in some reasonable amount of time (not blocked by an artificial time wall), I don’t want to be devoting that grinding time for guild wars for like 50 seals and XP. I’d rather take 1 event key only per daily win. Or be given a choice as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I strongly believe more incentive is needed to play this mode. The effort is only worth it in the top brackets, or if 27 or more of your guild is all trying together on a daily basis to get to that level by using colors, summoners etc. But even then, a few losses, one sick day, or a vacation or two from the other 20- something members with real lives, and you can forget ascension.

Not all players are fully mythiced, racing to get more copies of the newest troop.

I’m not trying to complain as much as give voice to a perspective I feel is not represented from what I have seen on these forums. Maybe most of the hardcore players that like guild wars are discussing its future on this forum, but there are so many who don’t necessarily like it or want to play it based on its current frustration to reward ratio. Yet if we want to stay in a guild where we can contribute and benefit from guild tasks at a high level, we are stuck with playing guild wars every single day of our lives.

Why not have a second kind of guild wars? Each guild can choose to do one or the other. ( or players can individually choose, and be matched into a kind of pseudo guild for the purpose of the war). In this version, you do not have to play daily. It can be a monthly or by-weekly version that gives more freedom of when and how to play. Players that want to take a day or two off can do so with no penalty, and players that enjoy playing every single day without fail can continue to do so in the current sate of guild wars. I do know there is one day rest for guild wars. I’ve been playing it since it came out. On that day I’ve be getting trophies against the same justice famine and psion teams in PVP.

I’m just throwing out my hopes and requests.

Guild wars and PVP balance are the reasons I’ll likely move to a casual guild, and probably play less. High guild level skyrockets enemy level for no reason. My troops have the SAME STATS. Guild bonuses don’t kick in until Thurs-Friday, and we only complete two or three statues. Players can’t trade, but we must band together for daily guild wars battles for xp and seals? I hope some changes can be made.

Sorry for being harsh, but I am frustrated and feel tricked by how having high exp hurts the gaming experience (by throwing PVP matchmaking way off) and Death knight, guild day victories, and guild bonuses are feeding the issue.

Thank you for your continued commitment to the game.

@00QuanT Just as a reminder … You don’t have to play Guild Wars battles daily. You can come on Sunday, which should be a free day, and complete them all. It will count towards the rewards board. The only thing you guys can miss are Guild Seals and XP bonus.

Are you sure that you can play all 30 GW battles on last day?

3 Likes

You could before. You just can’t play them all early. Late has been fine though.