Legendary tasks undid the entire (claimed) point of the guild update and has made leading a guild a miserable exercise in frustration

That is a fantastic idea. I play basketball in a league that organizes “singles” teams for people that want to play team sports but can’t assemble a team of 8-12 people who are all free on the same night every week. Often, these randomly assembled singles teams find they enjoy playing together and go on to become ‘regular’ teams in subsequent seasons. System guilds could work in a similar way, providing a place for new players to congregate as they learn the game and develop, maybe even meeting some other players in a similar situation that could form the core of a regular guild once they are ready.

1 Like

But if the game directed players into ‘training guilds’ in the early going, which were populated by new, active players, rather than passively letting new players wander in the wilderness, stumbling blindly into inactive guilds using the existing guild-finding system, players would actually see the benefits of the system. Once they got some experience and became established, they could move on to a regular guild. I think the ‘system guilds’ would need to have some different rules though, since they wouldn’t have a sensible way to choose a guild leader, handle promotions/demotions, etc. Maybe the training guilds would have lower thresholds for guild rewards but force players out once they reached a certain level and could be expected to fly on their own.

1 Like

So ive lived long enogh to become a meme xD

6 Likes

As someone that will never touch LTs, that’s not my problem. Make it 40k then.

Otherwise I revert to “screw you then, Richie Rich, drown in useless gold”

That’ll show 'em! Grr!

6 Likes

Hey. If this is a game that’s only for “top players”, then “top players” can provide all financial support.

Neat. Which logical fallacy would you like me to place that under? I know, I’ll use “affirming the consequent.”.

6 Likes

:laughing: The devs better watch out for Mgla! :laughing:

You should try “if you’re not on my side, I’ll never be on yours.”

Are you having a bad day? You usually don’t get sucked into this kind of stuff.

I’ve started and deleted about 5 posts in this thead and have thought better of it every time until now…

Yeah, sorry. I should know better…grumble.

Cleaning up.

1 Like

Lol when you get like this (I mean that in a good way) you remind me of some (tamer) lyrics from Bloodhound Gang:
“…smart like Janeane Garafolo,
She’d use big words to make fun of me so that I would never know,…” :wink:

1 Like

I wasn’t chastising you, just checking in.

1 Like

What a beautiful analogy. I love it!

1 Like

I always liked the post hoc fallacies myself. Fire trucks must cause fires; they’re always there…

3 Likes

This game could do a lot more to ease new players in - it is amazing that so many people muddle through the early stages to become regular players. I hear that the PC/Mobile version has a more robust tutorial than console (which is offset somewhat by the structured nature of daily tasks for new players), but even then, the complexity of the game has got to be overwhelming.

When my training task of “join a guild or form a new guild” came up, I ignored it for as long as possible, then joined a random guild and immediately quit just to clear my task. It was weeks or months later, only after venturing onto the forums, that I realized what I’d been missing out on for all that time.

The Kingdoms system and the Guilds system stand out as particularly convoluted systems with little to know tutorialization. I think they do a decent job super early, then the tutorials kind of fall off a cliff.

3 Likes

I think it was Mr. Strange that said so when he was reworking the daily task system on console. He always had a two-step approach in mind: for new players, the daily tasks would be linear, completing in order to force them to do various things and use different functions (level up, increase masteries, train troops, trait troops, ascend, disenchant, use glory, change armor, try arena, etc.) and then players would graduate to ‘daily tasks’, where the random things that we get now cycle through. It’s an effective training tool, but IIRC, it largely ignored the guild system. I could be wrong though, the more I think about it, the more I think ‘donate x gold to your guild’ was a task that opened up after I joined. There may have been a whole stream of tasks related to guilds… I’d have to start over to know for sure though and I don’t have the play time for that right now.

I’m fairly certain they didn’t revise the task system with the 2.0 update and the tutorials for the new systems were virtually non-existent as well.

1 Like