Guild Wars - Sneak Peek II

Big whoop. If you want to get into a stick measuring competition then so be it, I’ve been a guild leader for almost 800 days so I guess, in your world, that means my opinion is more valuable than yours.

You also can’t say you understand and then say you don’t get it. Those cancel each other out. If you understood, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

If there is no restriction there are paths that doesn’t goes well with the intention of the Guild Wars and i’m sure the devs siffed through all of them:

• If there is no restriction of how much attacks you can do for your guild score, then the rewards will be more one sided than ever with people scoring hundreds of battles a day while others can do 20ish battles a day

• If you can attack whenever you want then people could make “last minute rushs” or “first minute rushs” that can overload the servers at some point aside from other few shenanigans that may happen here and there, specially if a bug allows an exploit.

So in truth the devs took, by my standards, the most logical step towards a fair state. But it can’t be all inclusive, because from a competitive perspective it is tailored, in the end, to provide some challenge and reward some collective effort. If it can be tweaked with the Battle Tickets to give some space to everyone operate their own agendas fine. But if it becomes a “free attack mode” or other tweak that may come later, as much as you and others feel it would be more inclusive, i believe that it could do more harm than good in the long run.

My stand may even bite me in the rear at some week where work is too intensive, or if i have any internet issues (that sometimes takes at least two days to get solved) preventing me from playing, but i take the whole responsability/acceptance that it’s possible to happen and that the Guild Wars are not being designed exclusively to punish me in those events, or that it should catter all my needs just because those are also the needs of others, when it’s plainly a competition that people will crave to set some healthy/unhealthy scores for another title of “Top Guild”.

TLDR: It sets rules and rewards, some flexibility is welcome, but no “wet noodle flexibility” because it cheapens the experience to have another “group-hug” feature.

3 Likes

Im telling you that you are treating my opinion like some unimformed third party :wink:
And i said i understand what you are talking about, but that i dont understand why you are doing so. Its the why that doesnt strike me, not what.
I am saying you are over exaggerating because we dont know half the details on how it will all play out, but you are already so firmly against it.

2 Likes

That’s confirmation bias; if you review my post history you’ll see I’m pretty consistent. I debate about issues I feel are important, I joke in topics I find are funny and I help out in posts I feel I have the knowledge to be helpful in.

You’re once again using your false perceptions to try to paint me as somehow less clear headed than you. Not only is that false but it’s insulting. Just don’t.

1 Like

Serious question for those thinking daily requirement is reasonable. I think we agree that most players near top login every day and 5 games isn’t onerous. So based on that, would you agree that it would likely be a very tight race at the top of the rankings, since all those guilds will have maximized things (played all possible games with correct bonus troops)? And if so, wouldn’t it be fair to say that a guild which had a player miss their daily contribution would likely be knocked down from that big group of top guilds with max points? Just wondering if the thinking is that having a player miss a day won’t actually knock you down from the top group, or if the thinking is that the top groups never take days off or get sick? I agree the requirement of 5 a day is easily achievable normally, but abnormal stuff always happens in real life. Even work expects I’ll have a sick day, so not sure why we expect perfection from our guild mates?

4 Likes

@DonBoba I like you but this is going to be my last response to you on this.

You are one player who has run one guild over 500 some-odd days. I don’t doubt that you have experience but your answers prove that your experience is not all encompassing.

Please note that despite my even broader depth of experience than you, I’m not telling you that I have some overarching grasp of what players want. I don’t nor would I ever presume to be so pompous.

What I am telling you is that I and many other players don’t want to feel forced to play every day. It honestly doesn’t matter if that makes sense to you or not. But the fact that we don’t and you feel compelled to tell us we’re wrong only proves how incorrect you when it comes to your grasp on what players want and how they want to play.

If you insist on continuing the mindset of “everyone I know” feels this way despite how many of us have indicated the opposite here, then you’re not really debating, you just want to reaffirm your biases.

You’re a good dude, but in this case you are wrong because you are arguing that the way people feel is wrong. Sorry man but that’s not the way emotions work.

2 Likes

But Don Boba have mainly said that we does not know what Guild Wars will fully be like yet, it is better to wait a little longer until we know for more previews about it before we are making a whole picture out of it.

He do not say you are wrong, but he recommend you to wait a little, before you are smacking it all out.

4 Likes

After reading allllll of this, I’m actually more curious than anything - how much of the GoW population logs in every day and plays at least a few matches? A lot of the discussion here seems to center on the idea that being required to log in and play every day in order to be competitive may or may not be onerous. So what population might this affect? Here on the forums, we have an overabundance of daily, serious players. But since the Guild Wars will affect everybody in the game, I’m kind of wondering h just how many players will suddenly find that logging in every day is not enough anymore? How many don’t even log in every day? How many will find five matches per day no big thing, and how many will find it to be too much? Wondering if, in between filtering through all these posts and also actually doing work on the game, @Sirrian or @Nimhain or @Saltypatra might find time to share some of these stats that they would be looking at? We exist in a pretty small bubble here on the forums, and I just wonder how closely - or not - our concerns reflect on the actual population of the game.

For myself, I’m probably somewhere close to the line. I do log in every day, but some days I find that’s all I have time for, and it changes from week to week how often that happens. If Guild Wars motivates me to play a little more each day, then great. I think my opinion will have to wait until it’s here and tried.

9 Likes

And if everyone performs just as perfectly, without restriction, how it’s supposed to weight the best guilds?

Sirrian already stated that they are considering some flexibe approach to recover from a missing day, the Battle Tickets, but the rules of participation are set for a week and it’s not intended to punish per se, but to put at least some challenge at all. Ok, some guilds may lose some rewards in a given week because of issues with one or more members, but they surely could try harder next week or set down for this more moderated set of rewards that is more reallistic to their own agendas.

If things become easier, it will surely be more inclusive, but will also cheapens the experience of being one among hundreds of thousands of guilds performing perfectly within all the possible battles and rewards…

And people will still complain for not being challenged at all after level 500ish+.

2 Likes

More hyperbole; can we not do that. I’m not smacking it all to hell. I’m arguing about one piece, a piece that Sirrian has revealed. There’s no mystery to this piece, it clearly requires a daily login and 5 fights with a specific type of team to maximize points.

I’m not arguing against any other part but I am arguing against this one part that has already been revealed.

2 Likes

You asked a lot of legitimate questions. But all depends on what the reward system is actually going to be. So I would personally wait for more information. In the extreme case, the reward may not be worth the time arguing over.

2 Likes

I like you too mate, and i just like discussing thats all :slight_smile:

Like i said i understand your point, and i am sure there are a number of players that agree with you, and dont want to need to play 5 battles every day (im saying need, because its something they need to do if they want all the rewarda, but not have, since they dont have to).

Im voicing here for the number of other players, who think that 5 battles is very well balanced, and i think 90% of the player base wont have a problem with. Am i wrong about 90% of the player base? Maybe, but ranked pvp is proving there is at least 20k players doing 200+ battles a week.

There will always be someone displeased with any solution, because it really wont fit them, but if we didnt get updates people didnt like, we would probably still be on v1.0

2 Likes

@ogunther Perceptions are neither true nor false, they are merely perceptions and in that way they are opinions. Now you are deliberately trying to paint me as an aggressor when I have done nothing but apology for several posts now.

Suffice it to say that I will not apologize any longer for being understanding.[quote=“ogunther, post:205, topic:20320”]
You also can’t say you understand and then say you don’t get it. Those cancel each other out. If you understood, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.
[/quote]

I CANNOT disagree more. This is almost EXACTLY what marriage is like! I UNDERSTAND HOW my wife feels… I just don’t UNDERSTAND WHY! I can empathize with her position but it doesn’t mean that I comprehend how she reached that position in the first place.

In which case:

Camp 1: Guild Wars is for you

Camp 2: Don’t push the button to join Guild Wars!!!

To answer this question… that will have to depend on the guild. I believe there are top tier guilds that WILL add this as a requirement and WILL kick for missing Guild War battles. BUT, there are plenty of top guilds, like Mean Machine that will operate with leniency and understanding that life happens. Again those are decisions to be made by Guild Leaders on a case by case basis though and should not impact the devs design choice, imho.

7 Likes

And what are we supposed to do with all these sharp pitchforks and torches? :wink:

On a side note, since we are all discussing @DonBoba i wonder how curious he is about @Saltypatra’s voice? She already stated how she sounds, but i’ll leave the real judgement for this fine товарищ. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

4 Likes

For example i can reveal that Mean Machine will set a requirement of participating in at least 4 out of 6 battles, unless a player anounces a busy week, or a sick week.
Unless the rewards are not worth it, then we wont set this rule at all, our membera will participate anyway, i dont have doubt about it.

I hope we will soon hear (because the sooner we haer, the sooner we see all the guild war system :wink: )

4 Likes

Darn straight @Ivar! Asking the real questions here!

3 Likes

Totally off-topic, but how do you break 2MM in a week? I consider myself a fairly active PVP player at around 15-20 hours a week, but I usually cap out around 500k.

To put a final dot on my opinion, this is a win-win system.

Players will get more rewards with it if they continue to play the way they are playing now. Players will get even more rewards if they adjust their play to maximize results. So we have a more rewards sitation and even more rewards sitation.
Thats why i dont see a problem with this.

Of course some guild that are more organized and have more active members will be those that get more rewards. Which is normal and expected. But with limitation to battles, smaller well organized and active guilds will be able to compete with bif fishes. Again a win-win for guilds of any tier.
Those guilds that arent organized and not much active will remain like that even after the guild wars. They will get more rewards too, but they wont get as much as active guilds which is logical.

6 Likes

I haven’t asked you for an apology nor do I need one. I know you aren’t saying those things to “attack” me. What I was trying to point out is by saying those things you are coloring my responses with your false perceptions (and yes, perceptions can be true or false), consciously or not, you are being dismissive and making it seem like I’m only behaving the way I am due to being angry or frustrated or that my demeanor has changed. Why can’t it just be because I’m passionate about GoW and like to stand up for what I think will best serve the game? Can you see the difference?

Dave Chappelle actually has a great bit about this in reference to people calling other people “crazy” to dismiss them (which I know is a few degrees beyond what you’ve done here but the large point still remains):

Edit: took the video link out because it wasn’t the clip I thought it was. If I find the correct one, I’ll repost it.