Guild Wars, Point-Scoring for Battles, and You!

I prefer clarity in scoring. I love simple systems, and while I see the Developers put a ton of work into trying to give us more variety in the scores, I know I’d prefer streamlined clear scores. To me, mana efficiency and damage efficiency just punish the variety of play styles this game offers. You either killed a troop or didn’t, you killed them fast or not, and you survived by the skin of your teeth or clobbered them.

Still apply the color and guild bonus modifiers at the end.

I’d like to see: (My points for description only.)

1. Points for each troop killed. After 4 troops, each kill is worth 1/2 of the previous troop kill. I don’t care how you kill them. Devour, Death Mark, True Damage, Brute force Skull Matching, I just don’t care. Points would go something like (100, 100, 100, 100, 50, 25, 12, 6, 3, 1, 0, 0) = Max points from kills 497. (Might be too punitive for defending respawns?)

2. Points for limiting total enemy turns. For each turn the enemy has, you receive fewer bonus points, but it needs to not over power the kills. I don’t care how many extra turns you have. Sit there and amuse yourself by looping with Kraken all day, if the enemy got 0 turns, you get 100 points. So something like (100, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, 0, 0) = Max Speed = 100.

3. Points for your troops survival or health. I’d go so far as to ignore the number of troops that survive, and just look at total starting health and armor, verses ending health and armor. This would allow sacrifice teams to not be punished. If your 4 troops start with a total of 400 health and armor total, and end with 1 troop with 400 health, 2 with a total of 400, etc, it’s a perfect run for full points. So points = (400 * ( min( Ending A+L, starting A+L ) / Starting health ) ) = 400 max, trying to keep survival in line with kills.

6 Likes

Don’t think that’s the case. Ran a brown team of 2 Stonehammer and 2 King and my score was on par with the other 4 brown teams I ran that same day. Was my second highest of the day.

3 Likes

One more question, did your team trigger any devour, death mark or kill effects?

2 Likes

This requires a console update. It is coming with 3.1 if I am not mistaken.

1 Like

All kills were due to normal damage (ie. skulls, spells) there were no death marks, devours, kills due to ignore armour or true damage.

The team was Gorgotha, Infernus, Queen Aurora, Jotnar

1 Like

Outstanding Scoring Change.
I’m not sold on the point scoring you assigned. But I love this idea in principle!!! Enemy “Turns” taken: nice and clear without penalizing the player for taking a match-4. AND they need to add counters at the top so people don’t need Excel open when playing a match 3 game!

3 Likes

Turns out I got to test incorrect color selection instead (don’t ask, I’m getting old). Picking four correctly colored troops currently seems to be worth about 500 points, maybe a little bit more.

2 Likes

I’m assuming you mean 500 more than picking 0 troops of the color cause I’ve seen the difference between 3 and 4 is maybe 150ish. Hard to say exactly cause of other factors.

2 Likes

Yep, roughly 500 points going from zero to four. It feels like a little less than 150 for each one, it’s hard to tell though.

3 Likes

Ballparking things is about the best that can be done because of the changes. But I’ve seen people score high with devours, with 3, with losing troops etc.

Basically lead me to think this. Play like you did before. Play to win. Because with all the changes made, nothing really changed at all.

4 Likes

Exactly. They did change some things, but they primarily diluted the downside of losing troops and using non-daily color troops since the other factors are much more difficult to control. So you don’t need to stress about losing a troop and not being able to replace it or settling for a 3-brown team, etc.

3 Likes

I have news, everyone.
… But you will not like it.

Developers are hiding a part of scoring system. There is at least one more criteria for gaining points. Either that, or the formula they disclosed is false. I wouldn’t be surprised, ever since the formula looks so unbelievably fishy and NEEDLESSLY complicated.

For example… We have always known that at highest statue level, amount of points you get for a colored troop is 150 (50% of 300 pts). Yet, they decided to hide it behind a formula of BASE_SCORE*(COLOR_BONUS*A%) … And for everyone who does not know - A% is obviously 0,5 (or 50%). Base Score is 300.

BASE_SCORE*(COLOR_BONUS * A%)
300*(4*50%) = 600 pts.

And the worst part about it is:
All this might not be true tomorrow. Because that’s what my data show, so far. Criteria has changed overnight, and once I had the ratios yesterday, I no longer have them this evening.
And I did try lowering variables, one by one, trying to keep all the other variables almost static.

The results are … wait for it …
RANDOM.
I had over 15 battles perfectly monitored (Yesterday+Today). Step by step. Every mana and damage dealt/received.
But the numbers? It’s not like I tried them one by one. I tried all of them through software. The problem? “Solution does no exist.”
Not even through approximation. There always are 3 or 4 battles that are completely off, for more than 70 points, which is not an acceptable deviation given the average numbers players score.

With that said… I have more experience to be included in my CV. I’ll be taking a breather when it comes to GW. I think I’m satisfied with my findings. I might get back to it next week. There’s only so much a man can do when it comes to data.

9 Likes

I won all five matches today without losing any troop, and each time the score was around 1250 points. On xbox the color today was blue. I tried a valk/justice looping team with 3 blue troops. Used it to win one match very quickly, and another match I just looped for 10 minutes before winning. About the same score. Then I used an all blue non-looping team. About the same score again, even though I had an extra blue troop.
Honestly don’t know what I could do to get more than 1250 points…

@Griswald You lost any troop?

1 Like

No- none of my troops were killed across all 5 matches.

1 Like

This is in part where I came up with the above. Play to win like you did before because nothing really changed. Scores on average have gone up, and the penalties aren’t as harsh. But overall, the top 3 on the ps4 are the same top 3. The 2 teams from bracket 2 are in 9th and 10th places. There may be more shake ups the further down you go but on the top on ps4, it’s all the same.

Hey @Rickygervais, have you guys still win every day and are comfortably in the top spot on Xbox?

2 Likes

That score is typical of a 3 color team.

I ran Gorgotha, Moloch, Moloch, Mercy on yellow day. 1280.

4 colors still seem to matter the most. As for your 4 color team… Can’t say without the other specifics… Did you take a beating, was it slower, did they get more mama etc.

1 Like

I would be more happy if he said 1300 now i know sonething is wrong in my formula lol

Yeah won every day currently 40k lead on #2

So nothing really changed… On console anyway.

It wasn’t a great team, so certainly the AI got several turns and got plenty of mana, did some damage. Sorry I don’t have more specifics. Just surprised that I played several different ways and got about the same score each time.