Starting players guide - Beginners spreadsheet - Intermediate players advice

Hi everyone,
the members of the Black Dragon Court created a great guide for starting players.

As all the user-created guides, it contains both objective data collected from the game and personal opinions, so some of you may disagree with some of the advice in it.

Our hope is that it can help new players by giving them a step-by-step guide to approach the game.
The more players will fall in love with Gems of War, the more the game will be healthy and fun!

The guide can be found on:
Black Dragon Court Discord: Black Dragon Court
The Golden Keep Discord: The Golden Keep

We also created a useful spreadsheet to help new players in their first step in Krystara:
Beginners spreadsheet
Dark backgroun Beginners spreadsheet - Dark version - On The Golden Phoenix Inn Discord
Light background Beginners spreadsheet - Light version - On The Golden Phoenix Inn Discord

Intermediate players advice - intended for players who have finished levelling their kingdoms and have unlocked most or all of the content in the game Guild new member advice - Google Docs

Old or deprecated versions:
5.2.16 Starting players guide - Dark version - On The Golden Phoenix Inn Discord
5.2.16 Starting players guide - Light version - On The Golden Phoenix Inn Discord
4.7.5 Starting players guide - On The Golden Phoenix Inn Discord
Beginners spreadsheet
Beginners spreadsheet
4.7.5 Starting players guide - On The Golden Phoenix Inn Discord
4.7 Starting players guide - On The Golden Phoenix Inn Discord
4.5 Starting players guide - On Black Dragon Court Discord
4.5 Starting players guide - On The Golden Phoenix Inn Discord

Feel free to download it and share it on your Discord servers if you like it.
Let us know if it can be made better or if you have suggestions.

Credits:
Guide creators: Black Dragon Court
Various PDs and Extras: Anonymous Guardians
Infographics and expansions: Solar and gdDave over at the Gemocide family
Players advice guid: beeflog
Thread: Golden Phoenix Inn

27 Likes

Fantastic job! Perhaps support can implement this in the knowledge base and credit you guys.

Great job! Just one wish: please show the game version in the title: “Starting_Players_Guide_GoW_v4.5”.

Good hint, we will do. Thx!

Hi, as a fairly fresh player to GoW (Nintendo) I really appreciate the fact you guys put together this guide, considering other guides I found seem outdated.

Point 3.
It states that some challenges unlock areas of the map.
What does it mean? How important these areas are? Which ones should be unlocked?
One guide I’ve approached said to not touch challenges because they give souls and you’ll need bunch of those later on in the game. Challenges will be a quick way of obtaining those.

Point 11.
I would also appreciate some more info on team building. The main thing I’ve noticed is to keep your hero in a team at all times, why is that besides weapon versality?

Which troops to upgrade first? Is there like a certain meta, that only handful of troops/teams work well or it’s more like a rock paper scissors analogy?

Does it matter which troops I play/upgrade in my early days?

Basically I’m trying different troops (w/o upgrading yet), which abilities would benefit each other, like apply burn - boost by burn, generating certain colour of gems - using such color of gems. Is that correct way of thinking?

And last question… did I ask too many questions? :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve been playing a long time so I don’t remember well what it’s like being a newbie and because I’ve been grandfathered past mist of the recent changes I haven’t seen them 1st hand, so I’ll give you what I can.

The last update changed game progression from “here’s a huge map with no direction on where to go or what to do” to “you start in this area, do some stuff, which opens up this new area, where you do some new things to open up another area, etc”. Completing challenges are what trigger these new areas.

That is outdated. You have to complete them to open new areas (kingdoms, game modes, the soulforge, etc). Challenges are a great help in getting resources - more so now than they were when I was a newbie.

Always a good idea to keep your hero in your attack teams if possible because there are a ton of classes that you can open up to change you’re hero to that give it different strengths. Each class needs to be leveled up to unlock those abilities & the only way to do that is to get xp from having that class activated while using the hero on your attack team. It will take a lot of grinding to get classes leveled. And leveling classes are required down the road for you to improve your kingdoms. Besides, your hero is typically stronger in stats than a lot of troops early on.

I can’t answer this because I don’t honestly know the order in which kingdom areas are opened to newbies. So I don’t know which troops of the 700+ you have available to you. What I will say is be frugal with your gold, souls & traitstones. Don’t just randomly start leveling & traiting any troop unless you intend to use them. It can be frustrating not having the correct traitstones available to trait a troop you desperately want to use. For a good while you will always feel you have a shortage of souls & traitstones & gold and a mountain of things to use them on.

But keep in mind there’s nothing I can think of that you can do terribly wrong at the beginning of the game that will just completely screw you over later on. So don’t be afraid to experiment a bit with traiting & leveling troops if they sound useful. They all need to be leveled & traited eventually, it just may slow you down a little if you trait the “wrong” troop.

That’s a great way to go about it! Something to keep in mind is that leveling a troop will make that troop stronger stat-wise (life armor magic attack) so they can last longer in a fight, do more damage, etc. Souls are much easier to come by in general than the correct traitstones to trait them so leveling troops you use is always good. Be more picky with which traits you give them. There are a lot if traits that aren’t as useful or aren’t necessary but by giving them, your team score increases which will increase the difficulty of some of the game modes you fight in like PvP.

Hope you continue enjoying the game and glad the guide was helpful! Our guys put a lot of work & thought into it but there is so much content that it’s really hard to boil it all down to a small list of best paths & practices.

1 Like

Which kingdom power level require challange? Or is it just speculation for now?

Power Level 6 :Complete 7 challenges at 5 stars

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that!

Wow, thanks for a lot of information.

Basically in games like that I’m usually quite mean with spending resources. I’ve only finished two kingdom questlines so far and haven’t spent any trait stones and only maybe 10-15 troops to level 5-8.

Oh, right! Duh! :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I was wondering… Do you allow the guide to be translated - with a mention of creators in it, of course?

Sure, no problem

That is before 4.5, not now right?

No, it still applies now.
Here is the complete list if you need it:
CRITERIA FOR KINGDOM STARS (PL 1-20)

Power Level 1
1. Collect 2 kingdom troops
2. Upgrade a kingdom troop to level 5
3. Complete all the quests

Power level 2
1. Collect 4 kingdom troops
2. Upgrade 3 kingdom troops to level 10
3. Level kingdom to level 5

Power level 3
1. Collect a weapon from kingdom
2. Unlock 3 traits on 4 kingdom troops
3. Collect 2 Epic troops from kingdom

Power level 4
1. Collect 8 kingdom troops
2. Upgrade 5 kingdom troops to level 15
3. Upgrade kingdom to level 10

Power level 5
1. Fully upgrade a weapon from kingdom
2. Unlock 3 traits on 7 kingdom troops
3. Collect a Legendary troop from kingdom

Power level 6
1. Collect 12 kingdom troops
2. Upgrade 9 kingdom troops to level 18
3. Complete 7 challenges at 5 stars

Power level 7
1. Collect 3 weapons from kingdom
2. Unlock 3 traits on 11 kingdom troops
3. Collect 2 Legendary troops from kingdom

Power level 8
1. Collect 16 kingdom troops
2. Upgrade 14 kingdom troops to level 19
3. Fully upgrade 2 kingdom weapons

Power level 9
1. Unlock the kingdom hero class
2. Unlock 3 traits on 16 kingdom troops
3. Collect a pet from kingdom

Power level 10
1. Collect 20 kingdom troops
2. Upgrade 18 kingdom troops to level 20
3. Collect a Mythic troop from kingdom

Power level 11
1.  Upgrade 20 kingdom troops to level 20
2. Upgrade the kingdom hero class to level 20
3. Upgrade a kingdom pet to level 10

Power level 12
1. Unlock 3 traits on 21 kingdom troops
2. Reach Champion level 20 on the kingdom hero class
3. Collect 4 kingdom weapons

Power level 13
1. Upgrade 22 kingdom troops to level 20
2. Unlock 3 traits on the kingdom hero class
3. Upgrade a kingdom pet to level 20

Power level 14
1. Unlock 3 traits on 23 kingdom troops
2. Reach Champion level 30 on the kingdom hero class
3. Fully upgrade 3 kingdom weapons

Power level 15
1. Level 24 kingdom troops to level 20
2. Reach Champion level 40 on the kingdom hero class
3. Collect 2 kingdom pets

Power level 16
1. Unlock 3 traits on 25 kingdom troops
2. Reach Champion level 50 on the kingdom hero class
3. Fully upgrade 4 kingdom weapons

Power level 17
1. Upgrade 26 kingdom troops to level 20
2. Reach Champion level 60 on the kingdom hero class
3. Upgrade 2 kingdom pets to level 20

Power level 18
1. Unlock 3 traits on 27 kingdom troops
2. Reach Champion level 70 on the kingdom hero class
3. Fully upgrade 6 kingdom weapons

Power level 19
1. Upgrade 28 kingdom troops to level 20
2. Reach Champion level 80 on the kingdom hero class
3. Collect 3 kingdom pets

Power level 20
1. Unlock 3 traits on 29 kingdom troops
2. Reach Champion level 100 on the kingdom hero class
3. Fully upgrade 8 kingdom weapons
2 Likes

That list is slightly out of date for v4.5. The third 6 star task is now Complete Tier II Challenges (actually, I’ve no seen the exact text).

Also, while I did use a version of that list as source material, I believe my version is better! :smile:

You can judge for yourself. I have printable and online versions at Gems of War Quick Reference Tables (top-right navigation link to go back to the printable versions), and here’s an image version:

Funnily enough, I’m also in Black Dragon these days. :smile:

PS: To avoid confusion, I recommend calling this stuff Power Stars rather than any kind of “level.”

5 Likes

Still, the biggest road block is lvl 12 (lvl 20 pet)

1 Like

Could you please add on page 14 in section “10. Game Modes and Events” reasonable amount of turns for Treasure Hunt? It’s about 60-100, everything more than this is rather waste of time.

1 Like

Probably we will review the guide to update it to patch 4.6

Thx to all who downloaded it and write us with suggestions and details to make it better!

Morning everybody!
Last day of the year and new updated version of the guide for the 4.7 patch.

Thx to everyone who contributed to it.

4 Likes