(!) Spoiler Alert (!) -- [Any Details Provided are Subject to Change] (Part 1)

Disclaimer: I’m not a dev, and that beta symbol on my avatar does not give me access to knowledge to any of the devs’ plans for the game. (Besides, if I did, I’d surely be under an NDA and couldn’t discuss those plans anyways.) My thoughts are mine alone on the subject, as an MBA observing the changes in the game over time.

Why is Guild Wars the current “middle child” and being pushed to the back burner?

The answer to this one, from purely a business perspective, is straightforward. While there are economic reasons involved (i.e. the massive gem inflows in Bracket 1 versus sentinel upgrading outflows), the larger issue is that the mode doesn’t monetize anywhere near as well as Raid Bosses and Invasions (and surely the new mode in 4.1). Guild Wars was the first serious attempt at monetizing the game beyond the traditional model used pre 3.0. From a monetization perspective, the core problem is that there is a maximum possible gems outflow of 340 gems per player from maxing sentinels. What does 340 gems buy in Raid and Invasion mode? That only gets players to Tier 3 (Tier 4 for the weapon requires 500 gems [30 + 70 + 150 + 250]). That’s a serious problem, given that as shown on weekly event leaderboards, there are quite a few players to purchase well past Tier 4 weekly. Compounding that issue with a kingdom meta where there are lots of 9* potential kingdoms, with some now starting to reach 10+, advanced players can obtain the 340 gems to max sentinels from passive income alone (I’ve personally picked up ~20 gems alone from passive income while planning and typing out this post, which is a whole another glaring future-looking giant problem that needs discussion on a different day).

Guild Wars, by far, is the least profitable (if at all) mode of the weekly events.

If such changes were to happen in the future to address these issues, the road is somewhat clear to do so as the monthly schedule is now “full”. That said, if the devs decide to make those changes and fully monetize Guild Wars, that’s probably going to take a substantial amount of time (and costs) to develop and implement. Would end-game players even want a monetized version of Guild Wars?

8 Likes

Raid and Invasion weapons only needs Tier 3, 250 gems.
Faction event weapons require Tier 4, 410 gems (30+60+120+200 = 410)

(would love it if this Guild Wars talk was moved to its own thread though)

4 Likes

Guild wars once a month damn. It does take a bit of luck but it’s also the only more that requires skill to be good at. All the rest of the game is just a grind fest that requires time but very little skill. We had one player whos quitting after this week. Now others will as well. You’re going to loose a lot of long term players (3+ years) who only put up with raid/invasion for guild wars. It’ll be intresting seeing how many people from the top guilds quit because if this stupid decision by the devs. Imo it will be more then they expect. Yet another way to take gems away from the community to try and get more money out of the shop.
Personally I put up with the raid and invasion just to play GW it’s really fun. Every match is match brown cast MC fill event troop kill boss/tower, match brown fill event troop… Not very fun at all. Unfortunately this will be the killer of some top guilds or at least a lot of the long term players.

4 Likes

Would the troop in this Raid week make that guy fulfilled? :wink:

Boosted by all 3 stats? That make even Halfgrim Half-Giant jealous! Its ratio would be lower though, but synergy with Sunweaver would be so amazing!

Pairing it with the glory week might work as well, but it got a Firebomb-inspired spell in kingdom with no good summoners (yeah, not you, Winged Bison!) make it a bad choice to pick in Raid battle

Also, I’m tired of trying to shift the topic away from GW now. While it’s good to talk about, it should be done so in appropriate thread. I have my opinions about it as well, but I’m not gonna discuss it here to making this post even more off-topic. So please, try to refrain from talking about GW here any further.

10 Likes

Ooh slaying sacred cows. Nice.

Sea Of Sorrow is only a week away? What do people think of the troops?

1 Like

These doom tower make me think of Mortal Kombat. Maybe we will get a “Test Your Might” between 2 floors :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But that isn’t actual hard facts is it? No statistics, nothing. It just comes across as another troll post, please move along and find something else to do. Thank you :+1:

1 Like

I think the Sea of Sorrow troops are mediocre at best.

Delve 500 faction vs faction: There is a possible win condition, but at the same time the true damage will give you an extremely low clock. Not thrilled.

Normal Delve play: Submerge is going to stuff AoE teams. A pain.

3 Likes

The faction is very strange to look at. We’ve got…

True damage (2x)
Submerge (3x)
Enrage (3x)
Attack buffs (2x, one is minor one is NOT minor)

The true damage makes very little sense on a team that seems to be as attack-damage oriented as it is.

For faction-vs-faction, the submerge will do no good for damage mitigation.

We also have an obnoxious degree of randomness, between the explode a row OR column, create 8 blue and 8 brown gems, and the random targeting on the entirety of the legendary’s spell.

It should also be assumed that the troop with Stoneskin will be the lead … which is going to be pretty luck-based again depending on who gets Enrage when.

3 Likes

Well duh, obviously I knew the real reason. But no dev is going to come up and say “we want more of that easy money we’re making on you”, because if there’s one thing ppl hate more than getting ripped off, it’s being told about it. That’s why they keep voting for dishonest politicians.
I just wanted to create a general vibe of it being “not cool”, hoping it would catch on. But turns out the devs needn’t bother with making up excuses, because the community will do it for them. Just one other thing they get for free from the players :confused:
Don’t worry, Ill shut up about it now, I know it’s tilting at windmills.
Btw, I liked your post, because you were actually being honest and helpful :+1:

Oh, and just to stay on topic: Sea of Sorrows something something new faction something something new troops, blah blah blah…

2 Likes

Thank you for your helpful contribution on the topic. Turned out I don’t have to flag you for derailing the thread after all.

In my defense, there was an official confirmation about GW yesterday in this thread, which is part of the reason I wrote in here. Another reason is, if I started a new thread about it, ppl would just ignore it.
Sometimes you gotta crash someones party to get their attention.

But we were talking about Sea of Sorrow. Do we know what the new banner will be? I’d like to see a -1 red, but looking at the troops, I predict another -1 yellow.

Are you Brazilian?

You mean the country or the “hair cut”?

Are you from?

Yep, I already dread that aspect of new delve faction.

You’re missing a “where” in that question, and I don’t see how’s that relevant.
Btw, I’m not Brazilian, nor do I have a “brazilian”.

I actually asked because I’m Brazilian and I have friends who talk exactly like you (the same arguments, but they do not participate in the forum, as far as I know).

Nah a pro GW thread never gets ignored, it gets bombed by the GW haters immediately.

On Topic: The Wild Plains Godkiller might outperform most of the Wild Plains troops outside of the Raid depending on the boost ratio…which is just… sad really.
How about a rework for that kingdom? I wonder if anyone would have an opinion about that, not looking at anyone specific.

5 Likes

What I don’t understand is why everyone assumes a new game mode is simply a cash grab… But I’m glad those that feel they must spend money to play every aspect of Gems of War save guild wars, have somewhere to go and all agree on the topic.

The new game mode actually sounds like fun, but maybe the devs need to actually charge dollars per battle, so you and @Lyrian can both truly be able to say – see, this is why there is less guild wars, because they can’t charge you per battle.