Eventually or Soon™ a new gnome will be added to the game. Great right? The more the better? Not exactly.
Everytime a new gnome gets added, a player’s chances to find a pet gnome drops by 30 matches. When Pet Gnomes were first added the drop rate was 1:60 matches… When a new gnome gets added it’ll be 1:180. Thus making it 1/3 as available as when first introduced.
Unlike any other Gnomes. Pet Gnomes are the only ones that can trigger a pet rescue (except for the 24 hour events.) Every other gnome gives a resource that can be found in other areas of the game.
This issue is exasperated by the fact that every time a new pet gets added to the rescues. Your ability to find the pet you need is also lessened.
I’m not sure what the count is for pets available in rescues. But let’s say it’s 60. And your one Snow Bunny short of making it mythic. When the new gnome gets added you’ll have a 1:10,800 chance of triggering a Snow Bunny pet rescue in a PvP or an Arena match.
Given the changes to the game with 4.6 motivating folks to not play PvP. And prior patches motivating folks not to do arena. Both coming well after Pet Gnomes were added to the game.
It definitely qualifies for rebalancing.
Some possible solutions for the issue:
- Triple the basket awards available in the shop and from winning the pet battles. Pet Gnomes are 1/3 available as they were originally introduced. So therefore their “rewards” should now be 9/3.
- Give Souls and Glory gnomes the ability to trigger pet rescues. (given that for most end gamers it’s disappointing to trigger a glory or a soul gnome.)
- Increase the Drop rate for all gnomes. Make it 1:15 matches all the time and during vault weekends just adjust the ability to get vault keys. (Given that the rewards have been nerfed naturally by the inclusion of other pets over time they won’t need to be adjusted at all.
Why this effects you the player:
- Pet Gnomes are the only gnomes required to level up your kingdom stars. (Sure there are Cosmetic and Faction pets, but I don’t believe the intention was for either to be relied on to get kingdom stars.)
- Personally I’m much more likely to spend gems when I’m a few pets short than when I’m 10-15 copies from Mythic rarity. Because the Factions have become such a gem sink. I’ve decided to not use gems on pets anymore due to me being months away from Mythic Rarity anyway. Just 2-3 months ago I was using at least 4k gems a month towards pets. That’s unsustainable… Even for a player who is happy to spend money on the game.
If I knew I was only a week or days away from making my pet Mythic. I’d be much more inclined to spend gems. You can’t expect your players to use gems on cosmetic pets and natural rescue pets. Otherwise, you’ll be spending time and money to code cosmetic pets that no one (outside of a few whales) end up wasting gems on. Pets are a nice addition, they shouldn’t be a huge gem sink. If your plan for pets is to make it PTP (pay to pet) then keep on keeping on. You’ll turn off a lot of players that way. But at least I said my peace and now if no resolution is done within a reasonable time frame. You’ll then make it clear that PTP is the plan moving forward.