Is 3.3 the best update we’ve seen so far or was it better before the update?

Now that update 3.3 has been out for a week and we have all these new game modes and orbs and gnomes, how is everyone enjoying the game now and what are your thoughts about it?
Please vote on what your favorite update was and feel free to leave feedback and thoughts, thank you.

• I think 3.3 was the best update.
  • I think 3.2 was the best update.
  • I think 3.1 was the best update.
  • I wish they’d quit updating and bring back the original game.

0 voters

1 Like

Best so far. :+1:

2 Likes

I’m just enjoying not having to do Guild Wars to be honest.

Raids are quite boring and the rewards lackluster. Invasion isn’t quite so tedious but the same can be said for the rewards unfortunately. Can’t say I agree with the p2w model they seem to be aiming for, but as long as it doesn’t infect the rest of the game I guess it’s not too bad.

But hey. No Guild Wars.

The extra things like the Gnomes are a nice addition, even if they did totally butcher it on release.

If they bang on about gem value again though I might just have a melt down. Their idea of the value of gems is way off compared to my own, and I actually play the game.

8 Likes

I appreciate the 3.3 update so much! My only caveat is that I wish there was some reduction in new content and focus on refining older modes, Arena/TH, and cleaning up core mechanics, etc.

But I am enjoying 3.3! :wink:

3 Likes

This post is a little premature seeing as how bounty’s haven’t even been played yet. I like the new game modes so far. The rewards could be reworked a bit,and the tier system as well but overall I like the group effort in doing something with my guild that isn’t as competitive as guild wars. I like invasion better than raids atm,but we’ll see how that goes. I believe Invasion is glitched and that it is impossible for a guild to actually complete it,but once that’s fixed along with the other things I mentioned I’ll like that feature a lot. As far as the rest of the update,They added a few welcome quality of life tweaks that were heavily requested such as the bringing back the solid background in matches. A lot of players needed that. The Gnomes are a welcome added feature but they could pop up a little more frequently. The replay option for explore is also great. With the added kingdoms and troops of late this is the most balanced the game has ever felt,pvp was getting stale because there were no good counters to the teams people were using,now there are. If I had a one requests to be added it would be to bring back the search by trait,and spells option in the troop search menu. I play on xbox one and typing in every trait,or spell with my controller is the worst thing ever,and makes team building monotonous,and it’d be a welcome change. Every update brings in something new and they get the feedback and do what needs to be done to fix it further. I’ve experienced some minor hiccups with the gnomes not dropping their loot,& a few other gripes I might have but overall they just keep making the game better in my opinion. One of the best updates.

3 Likes

I agree that this is the best update by far and just needs some fine tuning. With our help I think the devs can really make a great game now.

Here are a few topics made for feedback.

Thank you everyone for the help!

2 Likes

3.3 is one of those updates where it should be amazing, but until they tweak everything, its not great. Here’s to hoping things improve.

The positive:

• Repeat button for Explore. Yay.
  • Mythic Ascensions removed from Global Chat. Yay.
  • Board Transparency
  • New card frame
  • Hero getting all 3 perks

The major negatives:

• I do not want to encourage any sort of Pay 2 Win Aspect.
  • Raid Mode was designed not to be fun
  • Day 1 Invasion glitches (bad impression)
  • Day 1 Gnome Fiasco
  • Poor “gem value” of the new game modes. Personal opinion.
  • Poor implementation of orbs. Biggest offenders being crafting Orb of Power, or using Orbs of Growth to craft Major Orb of Growth. I don’t like Orb of Chaos. Personal opinion.
  • Raid and Invasion Mode lack variety in gameplay after awhile.
  • Raid/Invasion shops are either overpriced or don’t deliver enough value for its price. Take your pick.

Until the value proposition of Raid and Invasion mode are properly implemented, the time spent doesn’t feel worthwhile, especially in Raid mode where it gets monotonous dealing with a bunch of Death Touch and Devour troops.

The really unpopular opinion: I actually don’t like the Vault Event. It promotes really bad gameplay habits. I say that considering I got a lot of resources from the Event. The problem is that in a 3 day span, only some players have enough time to properly take advantage of the Vault Event.

Other players are limited on time and thus can’t really do much with it. Some players have a good time finding gnomes and vault keys, while others can’t find anything at all. It just separates people into the categories of the haves and have-nots, in which the people that can’t find vault keys feel bad for all of the vault keys others get to find, since it doesn’t drop at the same rate at all times.

I feel like the Vault Event should be extended in a way where people don’t feel obligated to skip work or sleep to maximize profits and that people can live a normal life and still enjoy the Vault Event experience.

That’s what the every day gnomes are for now, except now anyone that’s played the Vault Event feels like every day gnomes are a waste of time compared to the Vault Event experience. The Vault Event also completely devalues the Vault Key given in Raid and Invasion mode prizes. What’s one key compared to how many you get in the Vault experience?

I don’t know what the right answer or “the fix” would be, but “experiencing the Vault Event at your own pace without feeling like you’re missing out from a time crunch” would be ideal.

Also, I really wish these recent updates weren’t completely riddled with bugs. Like some of the bugs on Day 1 had no reason being there.

As for which was the best update? Um… whichever added unique defense to Guild Wars or maybe the Soul Forge despite non-interactive it is.

12 Likes

The problem is they keep pushing new features in place of reworking or fixing what is already here (Hero classes: 80% are useless because they are too weak, Many old troops should be reworked as well, Rework of Arena, The issues in GW causing a loss after a win, The filter on Xbox that dont allow to reach the end of a list by just one click (I say on Xbox because maybe on PC its not an issue, that could explain why the devs dont give a xxxx about this problem?), rethink the prices in the shop (gems, troops) that are simply insane, PvP individual rewards, Also while I am getting used of new UI, the black and white icons on the world map are still UGLY now after some months,…).

2 Likes

I know this is going to come off as overly critical, but…

This is the first time in as long as I can remember that it doesn’t feel like we’ve regressed in some major, fundamental way, so it is by default the best patch. The new modes show a lot of potential but increase on-rails activity a bit too much. I’m not sure how long I’ll be able to keep pace with the game if it continues like this, because raids was a total killer. I’m reminded of an anecdote from a friend about how if she ever spoke up that she was bored as a child, she would be given additional chores rather than being offered to do something that might be fun. As much as I want to like these modes, thats what they feel like at this point - I asked to be able to do more/different stuff with my “extra” time in game, and instead I was given something that would make sure that I didn’t have as much “extra” time. The whole “energy system” thing was most disappointing in the context of the devs being repeatedly and vocally against such systems, then introducing not only an energy system but one that allows premium currency conversion.

I also may be in the minority here, but the novelty of the Vault event was overshadowed by the fact that dominant strategy was to take the most trivial battles I could find as quickly as I could, which isn’t very engaging, so I didn’t really enjoy the gnome event even when I had the free time. Then, I opted to spend the weekend with my family for most of two of the days, so I “missed out” here. I’ll have had my fill of explore for quite a while now, especially after the current event. I feel the Vault event, too, is a bit on rails. Doesn’t look like there is going to be much to do on Monday the 19th, but that could very well be when I have the time to play and I actually feel like playing.

Don’t get me wrong, a lot of good came from this update. We saw some QoL boosts, status effects aren’t quite as blinding (though burn is still particularly bad), troop names are back on cards. A repeat button for explore. Troop upgrade interface is a bit of a mixed bag, with some things (like leveling) taking longer and others (like traiting and ascending) being massively improved. We finally saw the inclusion of some mana drain immunity traits which put many elves back on the viability list. No eye-bleeding visuals being added to the game with no way to adjust them for months, nothing broke in the core mechanics of the game. New stuff to collect that you actually have to go off the beaten path to get and it isn’t make or break to the metagame, so it feels like my choice to get it and I’m not being pressured to get it now or I’ll never have it and it might be crucial to my experience, etc…

And finally, I am glad they are taking the initiative to add more modes, and they are a nice chance of pace for a while, it is the on rails, guild tied, and limited access of the modes that bothers me. This game just needs a bit more core variety of modes that are an actually viable choice compared to PvP that I can just hop into any time I want to spend extra time on the game. That is what I’m hoping for in the future.

tl;dr: All the “bad stuff” being complained about in this update with the new systems are stuff we didn’t have before and at least somewhat voluntary and doesn’t detract from all the small improvements added, so it finally feels like we are at moving in the right direction. Looking forward to even more improvements.

13 Likes

I hate raid/invasion, love the gnomes and vault. I want guild wars back weekly.

I might like raid/invasion better if the p2w model was abandoned. Everyone should get 5 attacks per day like guild wars, no valravens and extra sigils, and there should be a point score like guild war to keep the leaderboard as a fair competition.

5 Likes

Dang it, stop writing my posts before I wake up. >.<

This update was “the best” in terms of if I read the patch notes, I see the most player-motivated features I have seen in my GoW career. Almost every item was added with the clear intent to address some player-requested issue.

This update was “the worst” in that I was and continue to be disappointed to find the new game modes come with obvious bugs that are detected by players within 2 hours. For gnomes it was understandable as there was “no time” to test them. For Raid Bosses it was still understandable because it hadn’t been very long. There were 2 whole weeks in which to check if simple things like Valravens worked in Invasions, and it wasn’t done. Who wants to bet that within 6 hours we’ll know a fundamental part of Bounties are broken?

I know we took steps forward, but I can’t tell how many steps back this is. That’s why I want them to stop updating. I want 3.Next to be nothing but, “We fixed many of the broken windows that we’ve been ignoring since Unity because we had a very aggressive schedule to meet.” It’d also be amazing to see it delayed a few times “because QA found some bugs and it’s not up to quality yet” as opposed to “please understand, we can’t make time for QA”. It’d also be amazing to see some of these players with the “beta tester” badge be a part of the QA process instead of just having a badge for no reason.

2 Likes

Sure 3.3 is the best, as long as you are not in bracket 1 in gw

Maybe I am missing something here, with the vote alternative: I wish they’d quit updating and bring back the original game.

For me this game is at least as original as it was when I joined the game 2 years ago. So what makes it less original now? Is it not the exact same game as before only with a little more options, modes and varieties? Thanks for a clarification.

6 Likes

I like to think in the grand scheme of things if you took practically any version of the game, took out the stores, and charged me between $30 and $50 for it, I’d consider it a great value.

If you then took something as big as 3.3, spent a year working on it so you could polish/test it, then released it as $20-$30 DLC or even a sequel to the game in the $30 and $50 range, I’d be very tempted.

But being a part of the process isn’t fun. Sitting in the middle of the versions that aren’t quite finished and are still being balanced isn’t fun. Being a part of a game that actively wants to prevent me from getting through all of its content in less than 2 years isn’t fun. And seeing extremely minor transactions, like “a single mythic”, priced at the $50 level is almost insulting.

I like GoW the game. But everything F2P about it makes it stink.

6 Likes

I’ve been thinking the same thing after I wrote that last one, but I don’t want to change it now, maybe more along the lines of: Stop updating with new content and work on fixing the older content.

But either way I think since the beginning they made a timeline for the game and now they are trying to keep up with their original game plan, with releasing troops and new game modes on time.

In the long run I think they will figure out all the kinks and we can all be happy while playing the game.

That’s why I think it’s important we help with feedback so they know how we feel about the product they are making us.

The game has definitely been original that’s for sure.It sure makes bejeweled seem boring.

1 Like

I feel like we need a gameplay category that involves all servers because feature request really doesn’t suit this topic and I want all the opinions of people from every server, whoever participates that is.

1 Like

A recap of updates

Just in case anyone was unsure about what exactly went on with each. Just looking back I see we have come a long way, from us on console being all caught up to the old bone dragon nerf. And way back before I even played.

Good luck to the devs as the journey continues. Best of luck to the whole team.

1 Like

3.3 is the best update so far, but wish they would refine already existing content more.

7 Likes

I totally agree with you here. We need a lot of Troops reworked and treasure hunt needs it. Arena, etc. can we just stop and take a minute to updgrade, not push out more untested content.

2 Likes

I have an issue with considering any of the post 3.0 updates as the best update, as while concept wise, they were all generally great, but fell flat on execution in other areas.

In terms of gameplay, the biggest fixes that really mattered in these updates were to multi gem spawners like the guardians and traits that would activate on matched globs where some would be made useful but not necessarily broken such as jotnar, or ridiculously strong like the kraken or mab. I can’t “like” that as it was a gradually growing power curve that has seen a few too many spikes to where a most legendaries and mythics are way too good or unimpressive save for a niche team. Trying to fix such problems, especially how long it took is bad, but being told as console players we were basically making it up was insulting. But, better late than never, I guess. Troop balancing is nice, but then some troops that were strong got indirectly nerfed like death to where when an ultra rare can fill the life based damage more efficiently, and a recent legendary puts you to shame on your own theme, that is quite disappointing. I love reworking troops, but someone had to think death needed a buff as his main benefit was crippled by a previous update, then he got a small boost, which was the same amount as infernus, who hits twice, and does half damage to adjacent troops… yay?

As for rewards, we have had resource nerf after nerf and save for gnomes we would get sidegrades instead of upgrades. Requiring gems for a realistic craft rate for mythics wasn’t necessarily bad in soulforge and I appreciated the daily limit so it wouldn’t be a p2w to just get every mythic (however there are workarounds beside that so minor win i guess). But then the gems were nerfed in tasks and legendary tasks got hit as well. I can understand the gems being too much in LTs, but the key hit was a bit too much as the minimum keys should be higher or the maximum amount should be more. It was great for no more minor or major stones, but runics are still there and for lower levels in higher up guilds not bad, but isn’t that what soulforge was for? If it was easier to reach the LTs than fine, but realistically most guilds pumping those out have little need for runics, or have the means to make them. Its not the worst thing to get runics, but its mostly because it’s a resource that can be practically useless at end game and I would use them for arcanes, if they didn’t need celestials.

Now for game modes, unique defense in gw was a huge win and while perhaps inadvertently making new metas botg in and out of gw, it was still a great success. Some metas are more irritating than others, mainly in gw but I would rather that, than what was originally the psion, ragna, fam, infernus mode with color restrictions. Some like dwarves were a bit much once they can easily hit instakill range and goblins are annoying with 2 exploders, a high damage dealer, and ridiculous board control for some of the cheapest mana costs. Yea, they suck, but at least their are other teams and when you find out ways to beat them it feels great.

Then there’s the raid and invasion which became obvious that the devs lied to us as while perhaps out of their control, they blatantly became p2w by nerfing every outlet to get gems and requiring them to finish these new modes. Cost efficiency for the gems only when it was for a new kingdom, and other than that not the best. Once again, those that WOULD benefit the most from random extra troops often at lower rarities would often be bankrupt getting them, or frustrated with enemies that can wipe out their team with a sniffle. How do you make a game mode that will generally help mostly newer and mid game players yet make it as hard or the very least annoying to succeed. If end gamers don’t like it, why would they? While it would be overwhelming to time stricken casual players to have gw and one of these modes at tge same time, it would be nice to at least get some gems to compensate for the costs. Gw should have better gem prizes across all brackets. How do you motivate a player for only 50 gems a week to where if you reach bracket 1 or 2 you could get hundreds, at the cost of fun for many players. I love the competition more than I hate it, but I understand why gw stresses so many out and is generally beloved by others. The rewards were nice even if it didn’t always create the best experience, well at least before raids. Invasions are at least more fun than raids, and feel like improved dungeouns with tougher, random teams that can be beaten with good strategy but not so strong that they look at you and you die.

While I know the rewards will change, the core of these modes with energy to progress is still a brutal blow. It would have been better if it was a turn limit basis and getting a few more each fight so that proper team building and play could be rewarded over deep pockets. Especially since gw uses actions taken as a scoring measure. I wish a dev would be straight with us on this as how could they go back on their principles and be like “oh guys, it’ll be fun, trust us.”. If gems were as easy to get, it would be a different story, but to whittle at our resources at the source, then throw these game modes at us with taking away the alternative is a bit underhanded. Its not so much what happened, but why, and where will it lead. I still have fun with the game, but I see how the slope is getting more slippery by the update with political answers instead of honest ones. I trust the devs, not the publishers. I don’t mind them trying to make money, but don’t try and tell me this product will cure warts and stop my back pain while filing my taxes or something.

Tl;dr: I generally think the updates were great in putting out more content, but when upgrades feel like sidegrades and this non-p2w becomes p2w, the game is still fun, but I’m not sure how long until all fun requires $$$

3 Likes