Guild Wars Bracket System - Has it been addressed in 3.3?

I think that would make the leaderboards churn like crazy. Also you would be able to deliberately loose most of your fights one week to get to the bracket 1 after spectacularly winning all your battles the next. Still the system needs a revision. Perhaps what I proposed feels unfair but I think there should be a requirement of 5 different players to fill positions of a Soldier, Vanguard, Herald, Champion and Paragon. No level requirement so if 5 friends created a guild on a first day of playing - so be it, let them participate. But no solitary players - it’s called a GW for a reason, isn’t it?

1 Like

You can not go by points alone as stated above because not all guilds face equally hard guilds. By this scoring a guild in dead last fighting a cupcake schedule could leapfrog every other guild that fights a killer schedule of guilds. What is to keep a guild from doing 1 match getting points on the board and then not doing another all week to intentionally drop to fight the cupcake schedule?

1 Like

They would have to remove half dead guilds entirely. They should be disbanding guilds where people haven’t even signed in for 3 months. As well as eliminating 15 and less member guilds from guild wars top brackets.
How about they do ANYTHING as opposed to what they currently are… which is nothing.

Not exactly nothing. They’ve moved it to every 3 weeks to make the problems a little less pressing. Much like gnomes, the community was partially responsible for creating these issues. Guild Wars was originally going to launch without the brackets. And guilds do have to register for guild wars, that is how they keep dead guilds out, but zombie guilds that only have 1 -5 players left, are another matter. A minimum number of members for each bracket may help things, or it may just increase the number of bots and alts.

Less pressing for them… that’s hardly a solution.

The first thread I can find on the forum was created in September… so definitely the end of January.

https://community.gemsofwar.com/t/we-are-in-the-wrong-brackets-since-reset-of-guild-wars/30961

I may be wrong but I think that our sister guild has submitted a ticket for that same reason last summer too. They were created in July 2017, have been winning their brackets by many hundreds of points in which until now and are still not even in bracket 100. It will take them forever to reach a bracket that fits their real level.

I think that all the active guilds that have been created after GW was released face that same problem.
It is just sad that devs don’t care.

5 Likes

Wow, this is critical thinking.
I don’t completely subscribe, but I appreciate!

2 Likes

Starting over in a new guild ranked in the high 600’s, I feel the same as the OP. I realize this can’t be demanded but I would appreciate not having to spend 5 years to climb out of these ranks. Maybe a percentage based judgement of how many brackets a first place position the guild would jump based on how many points are earned compared to others in the same bracket. There are a lot of dead guilds that should be cleared out but some of those guilds still have active players in them that either don’t care to compete or aren’t high enough level to compete or only have 1,5 or 10 members which couldn’t compete with a full guild.

Again, it was my choice to move to a guild that is low ranked (and I wouldn’t change that decision), I am just asking for some consideration to speed up the process.

13 Likes

The competition may be much easier in the lower brackets and therefore easier to score higher however any guild getting advanced to a position based on score but wasn’t really able to hack it would quickly find themselves on the bottom rung of their new brackets. The situation would resolve itself in a few guild wars vice it taking over a year for a new active guild with competitive players to rise from bracket 200 to 100 having to fight their way through droves of inept, inactive, or one person non-competitive guilds.

The notion that they need to keep it the way it is to “not exclude guilds with few players” is preposterous. Many of those guilds aren’t even competing. I see zeroes for guilds in our bracket, the bracket above us and below us practically every guild wars. That’s not keeping it fair for those guilds it’s taking up space higher up on the leader board that could be filled by a guild with active members actually participating in guild wars.

2 Likes

As I said before this would promote cheating by throwing a week to drop down to get to the easier guilds then demolishing those guilds to get to the top.

That’s all well and good except that now you’re cheating all the guilds that get bumped down out of the rewards they would have earned for 1 or more weeks. And guess what? It’ll take exactly 1 week before the complaints roll in non-stop from all the guilds losing rewards they thought they should have gotten but were beaten out of by a guild 60 brackets below them.

You’ll be trading 1 problem for another and the “middle class” guilds will be taking the brunt of it by constantly churning them from decent rewards to no rewards and back again.

That could be addressed by weighted scoring or something or perhaps the top 10-20 brackets would be exempt from score related bracket movement. So that people couldn’t drop down to the bottom just to score lots of point to try to move higher than they were before they dropped down.

You’re assuming that when we want more performance (score based) bracket mobility that we are suggesting that the highest scores across the entire spectrum immediately get moved to bracket 1. Nobody is actually suggesting that. We are suggesting that when a guild is scoring vastly higher scores than some of the 200-300 guilds above it they should be moved up accordingly instead of just 1-2 brackets.

2 Likes

Cheating them? How does simply signing up and losing by huge margins entitle anyone to retain their rank?

I’m not talking about the guilds not participating. I’m talking about the guilds in brackets 2-5 where margins are usually much tighter and the difference of 1 person missing a day of battles can knock them down a bracket (and potentially a sizable amount of reward).

Understood and we were posting/typing at the same time so you probably didn’t see my post about exempting the top brackets.

I’m in what you would probably call a “middle class guild” but we are beleaguered with all these non-competitive and even non-participatory “zombie guilds” above us.

If you did a cut off where rapid advancement based on score/performance stopped at say… bracket 10 or 20 then you could have a scenario where a competent, active, and nearly full guild could get to bracket 11 or 21 within a few guild wars but then would have to compete with other top guilds to continue to progress 1-2 brackets at a time at most.

4 Likes

Yes! I’ve seen this suggested elsewhere and it solves every problem I can think of. There is still a climb to the top, but it can be done in a reasonable period of time and this has no effect at all on the top 10 or 20 brackets.

3 Likes

You are correct - missed that whole post in between. Expediting rank climbing under bracket seems more than reasonable to me (being in brackets 3-4).

One of the other solutions if they aren’t going to drop all guilds under 5 players or force guilds to register or get dropped would be to drop all guilds with 0 score in the previous GW and force them to have to register if they want in. That alone would likely cut out a huge chunk.

But yes fast-tracking up to a certain bracket cutoff makes sense.

4 Likes

I mean consider this hypothetical situation: The top 3 GW point scorers in the top 10 GW Guilds for whatever reason quit guild and form a new one. You have arguably the 30 best GW players in the game in a new guild.

They start GW in bracket 200+. Under the old system of GW every week and assuming no guilds above them forget to register (a bad assumption but lets go with it), how long does it take them to crack top 1000 guilds (bracket 100)? 50 weeks at least? Nearly 1 year? The best 30 GW players need a whole year to get to the first better tier of rewards? How stupid is that?

That’s like an NFL team going undefeated during the regular season but being barred from the playoffs because they weren’t in the playoffs the previous season.

And this current structure creates a situation for players where the only method for GW advancement (or even actual competition) is to seek recruitment from guilds already in the top brackets creating a huge “good player” retention problem for guilds trying to climb the ranks to better rewards.

6 Likes

And now that GW is only every 3 weeks that same hypothetical guild of top players could take 3 years to crack top 1000. THREE YEARS…

Even if they listen to us and make GW every other week it would still be 2 years.

All because it’s not fair to small or one player guilds who signed up for the first ever GW and think they deserve to maintain their rank and rewards and only lose 1 bracket of rank per GW that they catastrophically lose?

3 Likes

I think the devs would be able to tell where the “score based jump” would be useless by their data. I’m sure the top 50 guilds are all very competitive and close in scoring for the week. The focus needs to be in the dead zone above where competition is going on. A guild scoring over 100k for example every day when all other guilds in the bracket are half that or even a quarter of that or less. An assumption is that it would be ineffective in the top 100 at the very least. I don’t have access to the data to know where the cut off point would be . . . they would though.

6 Likes