Delves: Strategies, tactics and tips

This was my last move on the boss round. :grin:

Slow and steady wins the race. :+1:

2 Likes

While I fully agree that my strategy is not optimal, as it does requires more time and can be very risky. It also relied on players’ ability to correctly underestimate themselves, which can be hard.

I have some troubles with it myself. I have to review myself all the time, and have to check my weakness, how to improve it, then adapt my team accordingly. I even take more time planning before doing my first Delve battle, then map my battles’ order, more than Guild War’s battles, and it can take up to 20 minutes. It could be stressful for other players, but for me it’s my main part of fun.

As for time spending in actual battles, it can be varied, base on your prefered strategy. Fighting over-stats enemies can take a long time, except you can use them against themself.

For one example, we all have already experienced Raid in higher level, and probably know about Mang strategy. Does battle in Level 500 harder than Level 100? Yes, and more risky. But does it take more time to do, once you can Mang’ed the boss and find some skulls to match? No, if you’re lucky, both only take about a minute.

You can do the same in Delve, with just a bit less effectiveness due to lack of single higher-stats troop to focus on. Although I really DON’T recommend it except you have some plan to keep Mang alive, as if you lose it, it’s pretty much Game Over.

Which bring me to this…

Both fractions factions team are actually quite great and have some Mang potential.

• Hall of Guardian have Ethereal Golem, which can increase attack stats very fast form armor stats (and Gargoyle that benefit from it). They also have natural survival ability.
  • All Seeing Eye have Ocularen Leech, which can steal enemies’ attack stats. They’re weaker, but they does have a troop that can heal the whole team and summon this troop.

Also, I covered more about it here if you’re interested.

Fraction team plan

So I planed to use my faction team untill level 100, switch to main team, then come back every 100 levels to gain more renown, by playing in x1 multiplier and only beat 3 required main rooms. It does waste some scrolls, but it’s only a few times, and I didn’t waste limited 2x multipliers.

Also, another factor I don’t see mentioned much here: you get 2 shards for every 10 renown points. So pushing higher does earn you more (if just a few) Shards. It might matter if you can use that to pull more Treasures/troops from that very early, and get higher Hoard Quality faster. Right now my average shards per Delve is 80, so it might worth it for the more time I spent.

1 Like

So if I want to keep the new faction coming on Friday at LV 20 I should do every room during its event but retreat before doing the boss? (whenever the new faction event is)

Do event delves level up automatically if you win, regardless of which level you choose? That’s pretty annoying if so.

As far as I know, this is correct. Any time you beat the boss room on the highest level Delve currently available, the difficulty is permanently raised.

See above.

1 Like

Can you even choose difficulty during an event?

From what I saw in the beta, no. You start at level 20, and any time you beat the boss room the difficulty increases.

5 Likes

I am using an alternative strategy of progressing all factions / hoards equally. The rationale for this is that treasure chest start with a 2.00 whenever you choose the highest delve level. The strategy therefore is to go the for the lowest level delve where you can pick up treasure chests with starting 2.0 multipliers. This means leveling all factions at approximately the same pace. When the new faction launches, I will stop leveling the first 2 factions and throw all delves at the new faction until it catches up with the first 2 factions.

Before I do this, I however need to get the Hoard Quality up. The critical level is Hoard Quality 4 because of the +1 to the Delve chest level. I will therefore be leveling up the first 2 factions until I get enough treasure to improve the Hoard Quality to 4 for the new faction.

2 Likes

Upcoming in a hour

• First Fraction Faction event.
  • Intense math to determine whatever is it worth to finish all reward stages.
  • More math to decide the minimum Tiers needed to do it.
  • Great debate about the best strategy to do that without effecting usual Underworld progress too much.

At least I hope that will happened. I’ll provide the screenshots for them all for future calculation. Might even need to create new thread…

2 Likes

Your second and third bullet points will surely involve lots of fractions to optimize this first faction event.

5 Likes

Sorry I haven’t had time to read this thread yet and I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask.

Did I seriously just spend 30 minutes on delves and get nothing but a single portal to open?

1 Like

Ouch… my autocorrect is acting up again. Sorry! I’ll try to pretend that “Fraction” as a word is not exist now. Only Faction have a solid meaning. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That will make @Jainus very happy!

4 Likes

Well…

3 Likes

My guildmates. There is hope.

1 Like

So what is everyone’s thought on the delve event?

Enjoyable or a fail?

Since i really like actually playing the delves as opposed to the economy simulation that comes with it, i obviously enjoy the event as it is giving us a lot of delve runs.
I’d like it even more if it was at least a three day event, the overall playtime you can spend in it is significantly higher than even the week long events of Raid and Invasion, so more time to do it would be welcome. I would drop more diamonds in the delve shop if the event was longer, but as it stands i will have a hard time using up the tokens i got from getting the weapon at TierIV in just that day, real life demands time too.

2 Likes

I’m a little bit disappointed by the shop because you can get only the Epic troop (I was hopin for some random faction troops rewards, like all other modes)

Next ASE Event, surely no new weapon so not sure if I will do the Event…

1 Like

AS promise i will post my free random ingot result day 1

1 Like

I’m going to TL;DR; the TL;DR; post that I’m replying to.

• Fact: If your Delve level is lower, you will finish more quickly and more easily.
  • Fact: If your Delve level is higher, you will have more renown but might not win the Delve.
  • Opinion: It is smart to keep one faction very low-level so you can get Boss Room rewards without spending a lot of time and effort. This will quickly overpower renown rewards.
  • Opinion: It is smart to keep all factions relatively low level until you are pushing the hoards very far. Having the ability to quickly clear a particular Delve and get boss room rewards will overpower the missing renown rewards.
  • Opinion: It is smart to push all factions as far as possible to maximize renown rewards.

Not TL;DR:

I think the third opinion, “push as far as possible”, only makes sense in the future when more renown is available. Right now you are potentially sacrificing guaranteed legendary ingots in return for 1 guaranteed common ingot if you maximize renown. I guarantee you by the end of the year, the +1 ingot reward will have given you less mythic ingots than you would get from a Boss Room chest by the end of the month.

The only reason it would be sensible to go “as far as possible” is if you are confident you can beat the Delve all the way up to 500. Then you get the renown bonus and the boss room bonuses. I don’t think anyone sane thinks they can reliably beat a level 500 Delve yet.

I think most people except the die-hard competitive players believe keeping at least one faction lower-level is the best approach. There are arguments to be made for and against holding all back, I think that one comes out in the wash.

I’m also not completely convinced yet the room multiplier boosts chest rewards. I’m trying to work out how I got 14 ingots from a 3.55 multiplier. Where is my math failing?

1 Like