[Reported] "Content Callout" notifications appear **extremely** late

Platform, device version and operating system:
PC/Steam/Windows 7

Screenshot or image:

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
I expected this to be shown sometime while actively playing on Friday. Instead, it only happens after a full restart after the event is initiated and you enter and exit some menus.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
Likely the entire time this feature has existed.

Steps to make it happen again
Three of my accounts did not do a restart during the week Starflower appeared, and never got the event callout notification in-game. The remaining one I noticed it came in an hour of play after I restarted the game, which was something like Wednesday at 3 a.m. PST, 51 hours after she became available. None of them got the notification for Tidecaller, because none of them restarted during the weekend. For Shade of Zorn, I decided to do some testing and only just now restarted the other three accounts to go through the conditions to finally make it appear.

To activate the bug, simply play any account past any daily reset (without restarting the game) where an event that would send out a event callout notification (such as a new mythic, new legendary, new class etc) would begin. Enter/exit menus, mail, play battles, and observe that you continue to get the occasional offer popup or pet rescue notification popup, but don’t ever get this event callout notification.

Restart the game. Note that you still don’t immediately get the event callout popup.

Enter and exit some menus that cause server contact (eg., mail). If you enough time has passed since your last offer, you will be shown one offer (flash offer, then weekly bundle). You still don’t get the event callout popup. Continue entering and exiting menus that cause server contact until you stop getting shown offers. Now you’ll receive the event callout notification. On my last attempt, I needed to restart, collect tribute (did nothing, but I figured I’d check if this was enough to trigger it), enter and exit PvP and return to the map to get an offer to appear, close offer, enter and exit mail to get a second offer to appear, close offer, enter and exit guild one more time and finally get the event callout for Shade of Zorn being available.

Normal casual play would have more than likely had an offer nag ready for me the entire time every single time I returned to the map, which would have made it impossible to get this event callout notification even if I had restarted the game.

In other words, the conditions for this appearing seem to be:

• You must have restarted the game since the notification was set to start
  • You must not have any pending offers to display. If there are any pending offers, those will take precedence and you won’t get the banner notification. They might possibly prevent it from appearing entirely if you don’t perform the actions you need for the offers to be shown.
  • You must enter menus that initiate server contact to get it to appear, even if you just restarted the game.

Recommend at the very least that the priority of these event callouts be upped a little bit if you want them to get seen (check to see if they need to get shown before offers, check to see if they need to get shown after resets without restarting, check to see if they need to get shown after logging in).

I personally don’t care for them since I already know about events, the information is already on another screen, and its another screen I’d have to click through, but the way they are implemented right now is nearly non-functional.

4 Likes

Just chiming to say this has occurred for me without fulfilling this condition :

I’m rarely awake when the daily reset happens, and I close GoW before I go to sleep. Still, these “content callout” pop-ups always appear very late.

Take the Corsair class event. I finally got the Corsair pop-up just now. Since the event started 14 hours ago, I’ve opened and closed the game upwards of 10 times to collect tributes and actually play the game. What triggered the pop-up was collecting new mail (initiating server contact) for Defense Rewards after playing some PvP.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen these appear extremely late, and it’s got to be affecting some bottom-line things.

For example, I have usually already traited and leveled a legendary/mythic before the flash offer to sell me the traitstones/souls appears. Whether or not I would buy that, someone out there probably does but they won’t if they’ve already spent the resources.

2 Likes

I just got the notification that the Corsair class is available.

It’s 11:30 AM on Sunday afternoon. This is dang near 3 days late, within half a day of the event ending.

It feels more like GoW has some compulsion to show me any popup every time I go to the map screen. Stop it. I went to the map screen to do something!

1 Like

Just got this literally a few minutes before posting. It won’t be the exclusive mythic anymore in two hours, so this is about 166 hours late. In the last two days alone on this account, I have restarted the game twice, played some adventure boards, some dungeons, all my delves (way more than I usually do) opened and closed mailbox several times to grab rewards, and collected multiple tributes. I had to have landed on the map screen multiple times without having a different popup appear to take priority and this still didn’t appear until just now. I had actually forgotten I hadn’t seen the notification yet until I saw it.

I have no idea what else even suppressing this from appearing at this point. “Not restarting the game” definitely always prevents it from appearing until you do restart, but even after restarting the game sometimes even multiple times and being active on the screen, it just kinda shows up when it wants.

5 Likes

I don’t want to see it at all but I get why I have to see it at least once. If I have to see it, the most sensible time is “as close as possible to the first time I see the map that week”.

That does add to the stack of login notifications, but it’s frustrating that I’m always in the middle of going upgrade the troops I just got (including the mythic I got 5 minutes before) when this pops up.

The “Don’t you want to pay to upgrade?” notice seems to stick close to when I get the troop, why can’t this one display early in the week?

2 Likes

I got the upgrade offer twice … after upgrading the troop :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

I got the “new faction available” pop up after doing the quest, pulling all troops and lvling hoard to 10/100, playing event to lvl 100, playing lvl 100 faction only team outside event in daily delve, re entering event and going to I think 140 or 150 before the pop up . So not just hours late, hours of me actually interacting with that specific faction the whole time too

3 Likes

I finally got the New Faction pop up for Frostfire just now. I’m at level 500 already…

2 Likes

Bump as this is an ongoing issue.

With two scheduled “content callouts” (new class, new mythic), I decided to see how long it would take for them to appear.

I restarted my game shortly after the Friday morning reset (right when both would have become available), as this appears to be required for content callouts to appear at all if they become active during this period. I’d still consider the fact that you have to restart your client for a content callout to appear part of the bug, but even if current implementation prohibits this from being (easily) fixed, the fact that they appear so late after a restart is sill an issue.

After restarting, I went fiddling about to attempt to get one or the other content callout to appear. The following steps were taken before one of them appeared:

• Entering and exiting the mail screen (more than once), and collecting rewards, then returning to map
  • entering and exiting troops screen, then returning to map
  • entering and exiting PvP screen, then returning to map
  • playing a PvP battle, then returning to map
  • entering and exiting guild management screen, then returning to map
  • entering and exiting tower of doom screen, then returning to map
  • playing a single explore, then returning to map
  • finally, after playing the rest of the explore run, and upon returning to map, I got the content callout for Archmagus new class event

I continued to be active after this point, opening keys (got the new mythic), playing explores, doing PvP battles, some Tower of Doom battles. No content callout for the as of yet not displayed new mythic through any of this. Late into Saturday (lets say approximately 44 hours after getting the content callout for Archmagus) I decided to restart the game again, continued normal play and after some series of battles and returning to map only then finally only then got the content callout for the new mythic. I had stopped tracking exactly what I was doing by this time, because it was so long after that I figured it just wouldn’t appear at all because the Archmagus notification flagged it as seen or something. This was a few hours before Sunday’s reset, after having been sporadically active throughout the nearly two full day that the “new mythic” content callout should have been available. And, of course, after I had pulled the mythic already, rendering the point of notifying me that it was available completely pointless.

I know this is a relatively minor issue, but I’m persisting because I don’t believe that this was ever working as intended, and the “content callout” system itself was a big enough of a thing to make it into the patch notes when it went live, and if people really truly were relying on this to get their information about these events… well… it basically doesn’t work. The game tries so hard to not show me these particular popups that I can’t even figure out a correct series steps to force them to appear when I know they are available.

Ideally, these “content callouts” should display once (and only once, this part works correctly at the moment, please don’t change this) as soon as possible (first time hitting the map screen after the server contact that feeds them as “available”, preferably without needing to restart the client after the content becomes “available”).

These are unnecessary for many of us, so a preemptive separate QOL request would be adding a check box that turns them off completely, so when they do work correctly, it isn’t just adding another screen to click through several times a week (or does it count “weekday” events? I can’t even tell at this point).

5 Likes

I don’t have time references but this is beyond irritating.

I got the announcement for the Archmagus class after I already finished the Class event (got all rewards).
I got the announcement for the new Mythic after I already had one in my deck.
I got the Flash Offer to upgrade my new Mythic after I already upgraded it.

Seeing glitches like this persist for so long starts to send the message that either your QA people are utterly inept, or the company at large simply doesn’t care.

2 Likes

Hey, we’re looking into a couple of issues which may be related to this at the moment.