Allow for finishing started pet rescue

This happened to me several times already, but just now really annoyed the crap out of me. I saw a notification for mini moa (that I don’t have) and it was kinda late in that one-hour window, but still ongoing. So I get in, start battles, come to the game 7 and then I get the message that event has ended and I have to restart the game. Of course, I didn’t get the pet, just one white food. Let me finish the quest if I am already in the game when the event time is up, would you? I imagine I should have the opportunity to get the pet if I entered the event in time. The one hour window should be for entering the event, not for finishing it. It’s as if you entered the store five minutes before closing and they threw you out at closing time without letting you to pay for your purchase and take it home.

7 Likes

I think asking to finish the entire event is a bit much. That way you could just open it and leave it open for hours until you had time to play. And what if another pet rescue is started in the mean time?

Would be nice if they could make it so you could finish the battle you’re already in though.

3 Likes

What you’re asking would invariably create a situation where 2 or more different pet rescues could be running simultaneously within a guild because the instant the current rescue ends a new one can be triggered. And many guilds communicate well enough on rescues that members will hold off ending a battle containing a pet gnome if a currently running rescue will end shortly so the guild can get back to back rescues.

I’d imagine the devs are so adamant about not allowing simultaneous rescues within a guild because rescues are coded in a way that they can’t happen, and making it so would be a complete overhaul of the rescue system.

Me thinks we’ll never see this - ever.

2 Likes

Oh my god, it’s like I asked for a way to cheat the system or something. This game is not revolving around pets. What, I shouldn’t even bother if I have 10-15 minutes until the end of pet rescue? I just needed to have opportunity to finish two last battles to get it. I think there could be a way to code the game to get 5 extra minutes if you’re in battle 7 when the event ends. It’s a game based on luck and availability of cards, and last two AI teams are pretty strong in the pet events. It’s not like I can gauge how much time I need to finish it based on my skill. But I guess you’re right that it will never happen, it’s probably too much work for devs for a side event.

It can be abused, and it would end up in chaos. So not gonna happen.

Use a faster team… if you are end game, you should be able to finish all 8 battles in less than ten minutes. Skeleton key, egg thief, cedric, greed works … Ishbala, Infernus, Dawnbringer, Suna… I’m sure other people can share teams they use to do it as quickly as possible but, these are the teams I have used. Maybe try your quickest guild wars team?

First, I get why you are frustrated and I sympathize. It’s not easy or possible for everyone to schedule their day around a game so events with live timers can be a major pain.

But pets are really a currency, since their impact on kingdom power is tied to how many of them you own. And like all currencies, the devs designed them to be given out at a rate slow enough to encourage players to pay for it.

So the design of pets tells us they expect the fastest a player can gain pets is 24 per day. Since it is luck-based, we also know that over time it is less and less likely a player can progress without paying, as the odds you’ll even see a pet you need slip lower and lower.

The secondary design involves F2P games. As much sass as I’ve got for saying it, they’re built on top of addiction triggers and dopamine cycles. The main function of the 1-hour pet cycle is to establish, in your mind, a habit of even just peeking at GoW. That habit makes it harder to consider quitting, which is why the forums are filled with people who have had it up to proverbial “here” but will continue to play no matter how angry they are.

Now let’s stop and think about how that changes if players aren’t stuck with a 1-hour time limit, and why the devs aren’t going to let it happen.

It really mucks up the “one per hour”. Would the whole guild be unable to get a new pet if a single member is still on the old one? What happens if the guild leader goes on vacation or something with a pet active? Everyone would be stuck with no pets. That’s no fun.

If the rule were, “As long as at least one guild member has no active pet…” it’d address that, but it invites ways around the “one per hour” limit. Or it means some people are going to miss pet rescues because other guild members need to clear their pets before it’s eligible again. Just about any form of compromise invites a way to either get more than 24 pets/day or troll a guild by quietly slowing their progress. If you don’t think people would devote 18+ hours to these things take a good hard look at the leaderboards over the weekend.

So that’s where we are. It takes about 10 minutes on average to clear a pet rescue with the Rope Dart team. If there’s less than about 7 minutes I don’t even try. But speaking honestly unless you can respond immediately to every notification, it’s best to just take “kingdom power through mythic pets” off the shelf of your realistic goals. Considering how many new power currencies are coming, maybe we’ll see pets releasing at a faster rate within a few updates. Once something’s not what whales spend on anymore, its value as a slow drip evaporates.

1 Like

Why would you not do as many battles as you can in the time left? You could
score a pet or two (each basket has a 10% chance) and get some pet food also.

Best advice I can give is x4 speed with Cedric team. 6-7 minutes max.

1 Like

Wrath/Writhing Staff/The Possessed King/Scylla always works great for me in pet rescues :slight_smile:
Especially in the somewhat rare cases where you make a match and the whole opponent team is wiped from skull matches :laughing:

1 Like

My Pet Team is similar to Graeme’s but I use Wrath/ Writing Staff/ Scylla/ Mercy

It has an appreciable rate of Skull cascades wiping out the opposition :+1:

Just a matter of taste. I so rarely get a pet from the non-guaranteed baskets I don’t give a flip. I’d rather play a few PvP matches than get kicked out mid-way.

You’re not wrong, I’m just optimizing for what makes me happy.

Guys, thank you all for the helpful suggestions for fast teams. Unfortunately, I don’t have 90% of suggested cards like Rope Dart, Cedric, Ishbala, Infernus, Suna etc. I am close to lvl 1000,but I didn’t play for like a year and I half, and returned to game just recently so I don’t have many cards that are needed for current fast teams.

Also, I think my request was misunderstood by most of people that replied to it. I didn’t ask for a possibility to enter the game and then stall it until you want to finish it. I understand that is not possible. I just asked for a few minutes of extension time if you’re one or two battles away from finishing the event. I think 5 minutes of extension time after certain point in the pop-up rescue wouldn’t allow for misusing the mechanics but would allow you to finish one or two battles. That’s all.

1 Like

Now that you mention small extensions. What of they made it so every battle that you complete extends the clock by like… A minute or two. That way as long as you are doing the battles, you’ll get them done. Even if you start like 1 minute before the 1 hour timer ends. And it wouldn’t really be exploitable, I think.

2 Likes

Ok, I just had another instance of this shit happening again, only even worse than last time. I just had a notification for catching a squidlet. I had 15 minutes so I gave it a go. I finish the whole event and I still didn’t get it. One second after I killed last enemy in the 8th game, I get the notification “the event ended” and I had to restart game. When I looked what I got there were some pet food and some gold and that’s it. Really? I finished the whole f**kibg event and because the time ran out literally one second before winning screen I don’t get even one pet??? Good job, devs. Awesome. This game is starting to piss me off, ONCE AGAIN.

Devs, make this f**king game start counting killed enemies in this event and award items based on that. If you kill 32 enemies and event timer runs out, you should get at least one pet, so you don’t waste your time for nothing.

1 Like

Technically, the event could have ended any time during that match. It’ll only give you that notification when the battle ends. You could enter a match, leave it on for 30 minutes past the end time, and it’ll still only give you the notice once it ended (I’ve done this before by accident).

8 Likes

Lmao, it could have ran out 1 sec after you enter the fight.
Still you finish the match after the timer have finish, blame it on you being slow

So the game will let you finish the game but it won’t let you claim the reward for the game you just finished. Awesome. I would rather be thrown out of the game the second the event finishes than this.

3 Likes

Not going to happen.
If I understand things correctly, you communicate with the server to start the game, subsequent playing process involves your device only, then you communicate with server again when the game is over (and then it sees pet rescue or whatever had finished while you were playing your battle). So, unless all of the playing process is moved to the server-side and handled there, there’s no way to throw you out of game the second the respective event ends.

Edit. That also explains no possibility to claim rewards for thus finished events - when it ended on the server (the place where it counts), you simply hadn’t finished the event in question. Sucks? Sure. But that’s just how life is. Everywhere. I’ve had, for example, trains shut door straight in my face when I was running a few moments late (that feeling when you see people getting in, hurry, hurry, and reach the platform just as doors close and the train departs right after).