What is your favourite movie(s)?

I wasn’t prepared for Whiplash, when it ended it seemed like something was missing… :sob: Something like another hour of movie. :wink:

1 Like

Why only saw 1? They are all masterpieces^^

I mean, 2 and 3 we’re good, too, just not as good as the first. To me, after Saw 3, it sort of felt like one big shark jump… Meh… to each their own.

1 Like

Infernal Affairs staring Andy Lau and Tony Leung, Hong Kong movie
I think there was a Hollywood remake of it with Leonardo DiCaprio and Jack Nicholson, but that one really was trash compares to the original…

QFT

Saw (the original) was a brilliant horror movie. 2 and 3 were good sequels. So, it was a solid trilogy in my opinion. The rest were horrible and derivative. It reminds me of how many horror franchises start with an excellent first movie and eventually destroy the franchise with hack sequels.

2 Likes

I remember seeing Saw 1 in theater and it was a perfect movie. Never “saw” it coming. No pun intended. They achieved what most are still chasing. Just like Paranormal Activity, first was good, but after that it starts to drop off.

2 Likes

This is so true. I think the horror genre has a serious uphill battle when it comes to entertaining an audience these days. Horror fans have seen it all. Since the 70s, the shock line has moved out so far that it is practically invisible now. (Human Centipede… yea, that happened.) So, when someone actually makes a unique idea that scares or surprises, the fans are excited and thrilled. Yet, the thrill is gone once you’ve seen it the first time. It just gets harder and harder to keep that unique idea fresh and compelling past the original movie.

3 Likes

That reminds me of another one I missed on my list. Interstellar. Even though it was three hours long, I felt like it could have used another hour. The end sort of seemed rushed, but it was still really good. Then again, they probably didn’t want to make a LotR length level movie; as most people don’t want to sit for that long…

1 Like

Well if you’re just going to name all of the best ones. I have made it a job to put exactly one movie as my favourite over the years in order to be able to ask people “what’s your favourite movie?” and when they’d go “oh you can’t just have one favourite movie” i’d be like “sure, mine is …”

I also rated all of the movies i’d seen on imdb as well but i stopped after i reached more then 5000 quotations.

So from back in the days to now, in no specific order, my answers would have been one of these:

• aliens
  • terminator 2
  • reservoir dogs
  • pulp fiction
  • shawshank redemption
  • pulp fiction
  • leon
  • the dark knight
  • inception
  • oldboy
  • the prestige
  • no country for old men
  • fargo
  • inglorious basterds
  • the matrix
  • the big lebowski
  • the watchmen
  • Leon (the professional)
  • Donnie Darko
  • Lotr the return of the king
  • Se7en
  • Heat
  • SW the empire strikes back
6 Likes

I wish i could have discovered it now reading your post, but halas it’s not unknown to me, and Korean cinema has to be the greatest non-hollywood movie industry for me atleast, in terms of value: oldboy, sympathy for mr vengeance, i saw the devil, the chaser, the host, a bittersweet life, the man from nowhere, …

1 Like

Hope youre not referring to The Departed like that!! Scorcese modern classic.

1 Like

I remember seeing Saw, Hostel, and Final Destination at the theatre and it was an awesome scarefest to share with the rest of the cinemagoers, but nowadays… you mostly have to go to the lengths of a human centipede in order to create a schock, but thats more cause of our perversial accidental tourist nature than anything else. Too much real-life horror passes by in the news daily.

1 Like

So good, it takes two entries. :wink:

2 Likes

no really i’m working hard.

1 Like

Lord of the Rings trilogy for serious movies, The Princess Bride for something more humorous.

1 Like

You date yourself son. One of my first horror movies…

1 Like

Just watched the Princess Bride this past weekend with the youth group. Hilarious movie.

1 Like

Well at 32yrs of age i couldnt have seen the original texas chainsaw massacre at the theatres no :slight_smile: timeless classic. the remake of the hills have eyes, as well as house of a 1000 corpses and the devils rejects by rob zombie have succeeded the most imho in capturing that original evilness.

I can’t bring myself to watch anything by Zombie. I’ve kind of outgrown the shock/schlock stuff and he’s just too demented for me.

That being said:

That’s an awesome list that I agree with 100%. The only one that I have never seen is “The Prestige”.

1 Like