What 3.1.5 will be about?

Yeah surely. But devs can do both or at least try some alternative visuals for troops (and not a crappy race pack for the Hero with only one gender inside…).

I do not have a boycott agenda. I’ve encouraged people who are happy with the game to continue spending their money.

We don’t know what the company’s financials are. For all we know, they were making “decent” money before the nerfs but the nerfs happened because the publisher thought it would bring in tons of money vs “decent” money. A drop in spending would show them that this is not the case and could bring about further changes. An increase in spending would show that their projections were accurate.

This is the biggest reason I encourage people on both sides of the field to vote with their wallets. It’s the best way to show the publisher what the community thinks of their changes. A business wants to make money, yeah, but if their ability to make money hinges on the consumers of their product being satisfied when spending money, it’s still a barometer.

3 Likes

Literally every thread you’ve posted in for the past few days has included you encouraging people not to spend, and largely b/c you think it will make them listen. That (a) sounds like a boycott agenda to me and (b) seems misguided to me given that we have very clear proof that they are listening. They do things players don’t like, players complain, they listen and respond, the world keeps turning. This has been going on for years.

And, as I pointed out before, they’re nowhere in the top grossing charts. Ergo, they’re not particularly successful. Certainly not on the scale of what you normally associate with a successful mobile F2P game. My guess is that they have pretty thin margins but it’s okay enough that the publisher won’t kill it. Unless of course revenue tanks.

I wish I could unlove your post here, or hate it or something to show how displeased I am with the attitude you have towards people who love your game.

I have loved Gems of War longer than I’ve loved another human being in a romantic relationship. So when I feel like breaking up with you guys, understand it affects me deeply. 2017 is when you guys started doing meth and I saw the writing on the wall that I could no longer be in a relationship with you but the reason I stuck around so long after GW is that hope that maybe some of the best parts of what made GoW great to me would return or be enhanced somehow, but with the UI update (I’m guessing you’re gonna make it look like the soulforge - which modernizes something that should be looking ancient and fantasy-like - this is a fantasy setting not Star Wars!!!)

Goodbye Gems of War, this is a really messy breakup.

2 Likes

What is UI ???

User Interface - the new UI is the different buttons, scroll bars, colours and other aesthetic changes you can see in dungeons/soulforge compared to all the other screens

1 Like

To me, this just means they’re not the best. There’s a lot of gray space between “best” and “worst”. They fall somewhere in the middle; we just don’t know exactly where, and all we can do is make assumptions.

There are thousands upon thousands (if not millions) of mobile games on the market. Looking at a Top 10, Top 100, or even Top 1000 list doesn’t mean anything not on the list is bad or unsuccessful. If there are a million F2P mobile games on the market, you’d need a Top 10,000 list just to cover the top 1%. What do you consider to be “successful” for a mobile F2P game? Simply being profitable while keeping all their bills paid? Top 10%? Top 5%? Top 2%?

By all means, if there’s any data out there about IP2’s finances specifically related to GoW, I’d love to see it. According to IP2’s LinkedIn page they’re privately held though so I’m not holding my breath on that front.

I agree with this. The new style just doesn’t fit the notion of a swords & sorcery fantasy-style world, which is how I view GoW (and Puzzle Quest/PQ2, for that matter). Granted we only have two screens that show a new UI, so maybe it will look better than I’m worried it will, but it looks like it would be more at home in Star Wars or Star Trek. Or PQ: Galactrix.

It honestly did sounded like it once the changes to the rewards went live and even after they reintroduced some gems to the guild tasks…

Well, this is a theory. It may or may not reflect the reality and has the downside of painting the devs/publishers as “evil greedy bastards” while also turning you into a… detractor(?) Sorry, if this wouldn’t be the correct term… My point being is that you are using this theory as the only truth behind your arguments.

If you take some time to consider how your actions are reflecting on yourself then you might understand how @Delinquent or others may react imagining that you, and others, have a nefarious agenda or that you are conspiring

Anyway, take this point of view to reflect or ignore it and keep going…

1 Like

Pretty? Pretty crap. It’s bland, boring and simply doesn’t fit with the game. The only reason anyone could possibly like it is if they were the ones who designed it. Yuk. Sorry.

1 Like

If you’re referring to the places where I recommend not spending money if you’re not happy with the game and recommend spending money if you are, no, that’s not the case at all.

Some of the responses I’ve received have made it sound like unhappy customers should continue to pay in because recent changes make it “obvious” that the company is hurting or they’d never have changed, etc. I believe this is an interesting theory, but it is also just that. A theory. Since we don’t have access to the company’s financial information, there’s no way to know which theory, if either, is correct.

Each person is able to form their own opinions on what they should do. I know my point of view won’t be popular with everyone and that’s fine. I’m not on some crazy crusade to “shut down the game” or any other nefarious activity; all I ever wanted was for people to consider their spending habits and acknowledge the unspoken side effects of them. It’s something a lot of people don’t take into consideration.

For some reason all I can come up with right now are restaurants to use as an example, so please bear with me.

Restaurant A serves incredible food and is quite inexpensive (by area standards). About a year ago when my husband and I were there, one of the servers mentioned to us that they were going to need to raise their prices “a little bit”. Most meals went up by around $1.00-1.50 a few months later. We still visit as often as we did before because the quality didn’t suffer and we are quite happy to pay the additional cost.

Restaurant B changed hands about 9 months ago. Before changing hands, the food was “okay”, not great and not bad, but it was reasonably priced for what it was. A coworker and I usually ate there twice a month. After changing hands, the first thing we noticed was that the price on almost everything went up significantly. We refrained from judgment because for all we knew the quality would match; it was one of the previous chefs who bought the place so maybe she had her own take on the recipes and whatnot. We gave her a fair trial period, but we were wrong. The quality was lesser on almost everything we tried, and some dishes just “tasted” cheap. I’m not sure how else to describe it. After a few visits, we stopped going altogether and haven’t been back.

Restaurant B’s situation fairly accurately describes how I feel about the changes that have come to GoW over the last few months. I still consider the game to be fun, mostly, but the changes to mechanics and tasks “tastes” cheap. I’ve already paid in the equivalent of several AAA titles and I’m alright with what I’ve received for the money spent. Unlike with a restaurant, though, you can continue to enjoy GoW without having to pay, so that’s the path I’m taking for now. The door is always open for me to spend in the future if things I like are added to the “menu”, or if the game takes a direction that motivates me to want to support the publisher.

I honestly hope that happens! Up until the PC Unity update, GoW had a lock on the majority of my gaming time and it was crazy fun. I miss that feeling a lot.

TL;DR - I’m fine with people disagreeing with me (and I appreciate that said disagreements have been respectful), I’m not on an anti-GoW crusade, and at the end of the day it’s up to each customer to decide whether they are happy with where they are spending their money and what they are receiving in exchange for it. I hope the publisher makes GoW even better in the future, and if they do, they’ll get more money from me.

1 Like

I wonder if TDS will finally get his UNIQUE Legendary Trait… :thinking:

4 Likes

I was thinking about this thread this morning and realized we don’t really know where the devs are headed now. We got Guild Wars. We got Crafting. We got Boss Fights. They’ve already said they plan to give GW some love (defense bonuses), and I hope they hear all the complaints about Boss Fights being lame for end-gamers. We know short-term their working on the UI, the Impervious bug, and removing surges on 4-matches. But this thread could just as easily be about what we want to see.

So what do people want? What should come after the UI update? (@Saltypatra wanna give some teases?)

Is there a wish list somewhere?

1 Like

I believed a PvP overhaul was scheduled after crafting. And if they succeed it making it worse than it currently is for end gamers I’m likely to just give in.

UI is planned for 3.2… So I’m afraid that the next update will focus on the new UI…

More mini-games and a rework of Hero would be nice.

Oh, I don’t remember them mentioning a PvP overhaul. Do you have any details? Not a top priority for me but I’m curious.

No details tmk, but it was stated a couple times since before GW was added that after the crafting and unity emplmemtation it would be a focus.

I really want an UI change. I want kingdom symbols back on the cards and get rid of current clunky UI. Even dungeon/soulforge UI is better than current one.

Also, gamepad friendly menu buttons kills PC players. We have mouses, we can use sliders, etc. This little QoL changes really helps and I don’t believe they take too much effort to change.

Also, I hope known bugs (Impervious, mis-calculated damages from 4-5 matches, etc) could be fixed.

(I’m coming in from a thread posted more recently ’ Conclusions on the New UI’ …)

That’s just it – the non-payers, the ‘peasantry’ DON’T matter in this game, because this game does – Not – have ‘real time pvp’,

so even if a person tries out the game for 2 days, sets up some cheesy team, and they never play again in a million years, they’re technically ‘still there’, allowing the ‘whales’ to pvp against them.

This is the second part of the ‘equation’ of why this recent update was so ridiculous, and somehow most people get/got that feeling they weren’t consulted and their responses don’t matter.

This is a game where pvp is (upon confirmation of a player that supposedly heard a final word from a dev) destined to always be AI only, so there will never be a need to any great big ‘player-base’.

If that wasn’t ‘bad’ enough for people not happy with where it’s going, there’s an equally important part, that because of that (AI only pvp), the costs of the servers are dirt cheap (I play a game called ‘Doom Warrior’ that nobody knows about, barely makes any money, but still goes on because it’s AI pvp only, so the server costs are negligable compared to a real-time pvp game).

Basically people don’t realize what a … ‘massive’… spread there is behind the actual operating costs of a game like this, and the ridiculous amounts they charge for their store purchases…

the income must be obscene and they are clearly trying to raise their profits even higher, by focusing on the mobile market the most.

Note none of this is meant to make the devs sound ‘bad’, but people need to realize this to lower the amount of " BuT DeYY NEEddd MaWNEE to kEEp the GaEm GggooEEnnNGG!!1111" in chat and forums etc

(note, I have no idea what update this post is based on, I’m here after that insane ‘New UI’ patch lol…)

It could be, but the ressource required for a real PVP is enormous both for the implementation and maintaining…

In that case, it should be faster to create false player accounts, no?

Do you have data? Even if it’s cheap they still have to pay each month. And without monthly fees they are never sure about how much dollar they will get each month…

I don’t see why free-players are more impacted by this update… Devs don’t listen more to dollar-players than others (there is no way on the forum to see vip level, compared to other games).