Gems of War Database - updated troops list and much more!

I would like to make the feature more accessible for sure. I’m a bit worried about how to expose things like rearranging without drag and drop, but I’ll come up with something.

Calculated the team bonuses to the stats shown for each troop in the team page. Added the green buff indicator for buffed stats. Unfortunately, I don’t believe the kingdom or type bonus data is in the external data file, which means it’s likely these are baked into the client binary (for whatever reason; they have a perfectly good “Kingdom” entry they could have tied the bonuses to). This means that I had to enter the team bonuses by hand, and may have made a mistake. It also means that I’ll need to hand-edit that file if the kingdom bonuses ever change. Ah well.

http://ashtender.com/gems/teams/goblin,hobgoblin,boar-rider,goblin-king,c

3 Likes

I’m not sure how you get your text from the game files, but the file Common.xml in Gems of War/res/Text/en_US/ has all the bonuses listed starting from line 1307

Yes, the text is there, but the actual values as usable by code (something like an array of buff structs) is not present anywhere. Parsing the text in code is error-prone and slow, which leaves me with no choice but to translate the text to a table of my own.

1 Like

Fair enough. Just out of curiosity were do you get most of your information from? The json files? or somewhere else?

Everything comes from world.json except the text (which comes from common.xml and world.xml) and the images.

1 Like

The Database now supports team building without drag/drop:

• Added a link that appears over the card art when you hover over it, which when clicked will add the troop to the first empty team builder slot.
  • Added a “+” button for each suggestion which will add it to the first empty slot.
  • Added up and down arrows to the team builder slots to enable mouse clicks/touches to move troops up and down the list.

Note that while this makes the team builder technically usable on mobile, it’s not an awesome experience, due to how those devices scroll. I don’t think I’m going to focus too much on making this aspect of the site particularly optimized toward mobile.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it too much either @Lyya, most site developers rather just create a separate mobile version than to try and adapt one version to work on both computer and mobile.

The fact you are trying to please everyone is enough for me :slight_smile:

Do you ever sleep?!

2 Likes

Currently having trouble accessing the site. (on both laptop and phone, but they’re on the same internet connection at the moment) Just sitting at “Waiting for ashtender.com”. I’ll check in a bit to see if it’s just me (the rest of my net is working fine), but figured I’d let you know incase it’s a wider issue @Lyya

It’s a wider issue. I’ve already contacted my host, and they’re working to bring the site back online. Thanks for the notice though!

2 Likes

Looks to be back online now.

2 Likes

Back down again. Hosting company is aware and working on a fix.

Is the problem rooted with you, or is it them?

Them. Some sort of DDOS on their server.

If this keeps up, I’m going to have to switch hosts again…sigh.

If that should happen, I will rewire all links I’ve posted connecting to it! *salutes*

That’ll cover about 1% of the total number of links :wink:

Site’s back up.

3 Likes

For those keeping score at home, It’s Late O’Clock, and the site’s back offline. I’m going to bed.

Some improvements I’ve been working on these last few days:

• Added livefyre commenting to individual troop, weapon, and class pages. Not sure it’s useful, but per-troop discussions can take place there if y’all want.
  • Improved the cosmetics of the team builder, adding in the “strip” artwork that’s used in the in-game troop lineup (currently for troops only, not weapons).
  • Removed the unnecessary qtip pops for links to individual troops; right-click the link now to copy it (like you would anywhere else on the web), left-click to go to the troop page.
3 Likes