Troop Buff A-H Thread With Summary

I like the suggestion that couatl could get a cleanse for his whole team. Would make him much better.

1 Like

Well yeah…they need to fix that one-shot spell troops problem. The point is his spell should give us some glory since he dies gloriously (?). xD

Half joking. But I don’t mind if it will be taken seriously.

3 Likes

Giving the glory would really make the OncePerGame spell of his interesting. Heck, I’d probably play him even at 1 Glory in some farm team.

I do think about where the amount of glory from the spell would make people feel he’s a must play. Say around 5? It’s hard for me to relate to the casual players that he could benefit the most by giving glory, while not having others abuse it.

2 Likes

Yes, I got that, and also liked that idea. Or make it conditional if his spell kills the enemy, get +5 Glory (then his death was glorious, not futile)

For the other ‘one shot spell’ troops, it’s fine - I just think on Gotrek Gurnisson here, it should be allowed to repeat. The fact that he kills himself on cast anyway makes it a one shot spell, they didn’t need to also code in the restrictions of a one shot spell.

Now, back on topic…

CREEPER

• not bad for a common, leave it as it is

CRIMSON BAT

• sees quite a lot of use, both attacking and on defence teams
  • true damage is pretty punchy, especially with Magic buff troops, and can be charged by Valkyrie
  • Gain 16 fixed life is nuts at low level - it should also scale with Magic stat
  • and like all AoE damage it really should scale with Magic /2 (and be tweaked accordingly to be the same at lower levels)
  • traits are an oddity, but probably okay - I rarely use it as a front rank troop, but appreciate with Bloodsucking there it can be brutal

CTHYRYZYX

• randomness was tolerable on the Berserker, but here it’s just rubbish
  • hits a random enemy with random damage and buffs a random stat by not a lot, for 11 mana
  • the chance of that being useful is negligible
  • randomly jumble the board randomly, probably means give a better board to the enemy
  • take the randomness off the damage
  • give it also a 50% chance of an extra turn
  • make the stat gain scale with Magic
  • traits are okay, death touch is nicely nasty, it’s an epic troop

CYCLOPS

• hits surprisingly hard, decent enough for a rare
  • quite usable and popular at lower levels
  • damage scaling with attack gives him longevity into the end game
  • fine as he is
2 Likes

Been thinking this for ages myself. That goes for pretty much all of those troops in the same boat cough Dark Master …

Reminder:
The next troop is DARK MAIDEN.

DARK MAIDEN: For rare she’s okay
Few more magic on ascending her to legendary and mythic would be helpful to scale little bit better on higher levels

DARK MASTER:
Thrall needs rework. and damage could scale with magic.

2 Likes

+1 :slight_smile:

I don’t want derail too much here, but although the gems do get created before the summon triggers, it is irrelevant because nothing is matched until after the summon is already out, so the reds do go to the newly summoned troop. Corrupt Sorceress is fine as is.

The reason it is different for Abynissia, who explodes then summons, is because explode immediately hands out the mana before the Infernal King is actually summoned. However, the board mod caused by the explosion triggering any cascade matches will go to the newly summoned Infernal King, because the matches are resolved at the end of the spell. It is the same way for every spell in the game, there is a sort of “board lock” that prevents matches until the all components of the spell resolve. For example, Green Slime creating green gems then turning them to purple will never cause any green matches, dual color summoners never generate matches until after spawning both colors, and Deep Borer’s column destroy does not drop any new gems in its place until after creating the 9 browns.

I’ll have something more on-topic to say… eventually… if I can get completely caught up.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Not sure I’d ever used it! Was conscious of the issue with Abynissia and similarly with Bombot so guessed (wrongly) here.

Next troop Couatl

Any ideas how to buff this useless thing? :smiley:

Extra turn maybe?

@vidokas I did Couatl a bit higher up…

Some more from me…

DARK MAIDEN

• the (reworked) spell mechanic of Yellow → chosen colour is interesting, we need to see more like that
  • spell and traits are fine
  • my only grumble is: with that (weird) art, she should clearly be Daemon (or Monster) type as well as Elf

DARK MASTER

• spell damage needs to scale (as @Shimrra said) with Magic stat
  • at low levels, 9 is nuts, but at mid to high levels it’s irrelevant
  • otherwise fine for a rare troop

DARK SONG

• never been that strong, though was useful when the meta had a lot of goblins, and when Webspinner was broken and ubiquitous
  • ahem, now compare to Wayfinder Wayfinder - Troops - Gems of War Database
  • for 1 extra mana, we get +4 base damage - but Wayfinder halves the enemy’s Attack
  • tbf, probably means Wayfinder needs rebalancing
  • but Dark Song clearly needs a buff: 13 mana for a mono nuke is really not useful in the end game
  • she needs to hit a lot harder, to make that situational green counter use actually work, like Amira does
  • make it triple damage to green targets?
  • traits are fine, though Nature Spirit and Magic Link should swap places, as the latter is infinitely more useful, it should unlock last

DARK TROLL

• recently released, and seems fine

DEATH

• one of the better Mythics, does actually get use
  • ocassionally scary on defence, with deathmark RNG - and popular on offence, it seems, though I find him a bit slow
  • spell could perhaps cost less - 21 or 22 mana - that’s still high enough that he can be countered or drained in defence teams - make him a little more viable for invading
  • split damage doesn’t scale well at all into the end-game - I think that could be a 2:1 ratio - if we do that, maybe keep the cost to 24
  • traits - hmmmm - Necromancy is a waste of space here - yeah thematically fits but really? the fourth horseman and bringer of death should be, well, scarier… or at least immune to Deathmark himself - if anyone wants to farm souls, there are a trillion cheaper and more suited troops with the Necromancy trait to use - I’d change it to Warded
1 Like

So the imminent arrival of the Silvermaiden reminds us that power creep is very much here… so it’s time to give this thread a prod and get some more troops buffed…

DECK HAND

• pretty strong for a rare troop
  • recent addition, fine as it is
  • though a little pointless as Valkyrie is an infinitely better transformer for blue
  • quite a few rogues are blue so could make some all-rogue team fun - not that the type bonuses make a noticeable benefit to make that really worth doing

DEEP BORER

• spell should cost a bit more - for 9 mana, it gives you 8 mana, makes a good number of gems and gains armour
  • and the spell order means the 9 gems get put into 7 columns not 8, making a 4-match highly likely
  • oops this is the buff thread, I shall say no more

DESDAEMONA

• very cool art and troop idea
  • should be set up to be a demon-hunter, obviously but just doesn’t hit hard enough to be worth it
  • what personally bugs me is that the spell is called Spite and Malice, so should be doing two things, but only fires one shot
  • I’d solve both of those at once by changing spell to: deal true damage [amount tbc] to a target enemy and a random enemy, and deal double damage to demons
  • I’d lose the extra turn as part of that redesign bargain
  • then for traits: bit of an identity problem here: slayer and piercing fit thematically, but she’s far too squishy to be a front line troop
  • if she’s meant to be a front liner then swap Stealthly for Agile
  • if she’s meant to be a caster/sniper (as I see her) then change traits to (say) Stealthy, Magic Spirit (or Fire Spirit), Fast

DESERT MANTIS

• recent addition and pretty strong
  • again if anything, spell needs to cost a little more
  • otherwise leave as is

DIMETRAXIA

• oh dear
  • split damage really doesn’t scale into the end game
  • and (one of) the fiery-est troops in the game (pyro, you say?) it should have a better chance of actually setting something on fire (and maybe benefitting from that Pyromania trait)
  • change the Magic scaling to Magic x2 damage on the spell, and adjust base damage accordingly
  • give it a 50% chance to burn each enemy, and roll them separately

DIRE WOLF

• did I mention at one point I had over 300 of these?
  • recently redesigned, and now does a lot for a common at only 8 mana
  • leave as is, I guess

DJINN

• mmmm a bit rubbish really
  • but as gacha fodder rare, we probably don’t care that much, though the art is nice
  • if the spell did both of the random effects, not just one of them, it’d still be rubbish
  • I’d let it do both, the Magic gain would be nice to work with, especially in arena
  • traits, whatever
3 Likes

Dokkalfar

-Maybe deal dmg based by magic.
other than that it’s not bad for epic.

Draakulis

-Seems good to me. But I don’t have it so I can be wrong.

Mild necro as it’s been a little while since I put any thoughts in here…

DOKKALFAR

• sorry I have to disagree with Vidokas, I think this one is rubbish and needs a lot of work
  • spell is expensive, summons are rarely that useful, damage is utterly irrelevant
  • traits are immunity to poison (irrelevant currently in late game), immunity to web (which only affects his summon level, and is arguably the least common or significant status effect), and an on-death daemon summon (which is okay, but if it triggers you’ve probably lost the game anyway)
  • I’d rewrite him to be:
  • spell: Dark Swarm: 14 mana - deal [magic] damage to an enemy, boosted by total Magic stat of friendly Beasts (say 2:1), if the enemy dies, summon a Giant Spider
  • traits: Beast Bond, Magic Link, Daemonic Pact
  • looking to make teams with him with Spiders be more effective - and add him into the little meta of Beast teams which has a few good interactions

DRAAKULIS

• fairly meh for a Mythic troop really
  • gains a lot of Life, but doesn’t do a great deal with it - makes an okay tank in first place, but only if you want to block three colours
  • spell is strong-ish, but I struggle to think of a reason to use him over Crimson Bat
  • legendary trait is just more Life… which feels unnecessary as his spell gains the most Life ever
  • keep spell as is, but rework that legendary trait to make him a real threat as a tank?
  • perhaps: boost attack damage by his Life total (2:1? 3:1?) - like Carnex has with the armour-based trait

DRACOS 1337

• rubbish legendary - little use on offence and occasional nuisance on defence (but not really)
  • waste of some of the best artwork in the game
  • spell costs a lot to do not a lot - needs to actually deal some damage really - I’d remove the mana drain (irritating feature in the game at best, and we see mana drain everywhere on defence teams as it is) - instead make it a nuke with the added status effects and disintegrate chance, for say 14 mana
  • replace Armoured trait: it’s too common, and this isn’t a front row troop - give this guy something else: Mana Shield would work thematically… or maybe Reinforced, or Fire Spirit, or something…
  • third trait annoys me - in concept, more negativity and stalling and making the game less fun, but in reality, is too random to be a threat on defence, and on offence, if you can trigger it reliably, you are probably winning without the enemy casting their spells anyway
  • I’d rework it to steal 3 mana from a random enemy on 4+ matches
2 Likes

So much this.

3 Likes

I might be one of the few people who kind of enjoys Draco’s spell, it has saved my bacon on occasion before a Maw, Famine, Death, et al has had a chance to fire off their spell. That said, a 14 mana cost would make it a bit more viable. Also, the spell effects doesn’t really fit with the name Disintegrate. It really should pack a punch with dmg with a chance to completely obliterate the target. I actually have an idea to make the disintegration chance scale at the cost of slowing down one of your own troops, sort of like drawing on extra electricity to power the Death Ray.

Disintegrate (14 Y/P): Mana Drain an allied Mech or Construct. Silence, Stun and deal [Magic + 4] damage to target enemy. 25% chance to destroy the target, boosted by mana collected (x5 boost ratio).

I like to think of the allied Mech or Consruct as a mana battery of sorts to boost the Disintegration Ray, more mana drained from your own troop equals more chance to completely erase the target. I kept the Stun ability there to prevent resurrection shenanigans from IK or TDS, they got atomized after all :wink:

If you don’t have a Mech or Construct on your team the spell still works, just with no boosted death ray chance.

5 Likes

Great idea!

Nice idea, but numbers would need to change! If that drains a ten mana cost ally Mech, that’s a 75% insta-kill, for only 14 mana… nah that’s broken…

Yep I thought about too, plus a Mechanist Fast Mech team could take out a key troop really early in the match. The boost ratio could be toned down a bit!

Come to think of it, another idea for a powerful w negative consequence attribute just came to mind.
Let’s call it “Overload”. Any extra mana past the number needed is still collected by Dracos and that overloaded mana is what is used to boost the Death Ray percentage based on an appropriate boost ratio. Thus the longer you wait and mana you collect the better chance to disintegrate the target.

The downside should be a negative effect boosted by the amount of Overload mana.
It could either be:
5% chance to Silence, Stun and Burn itself for each point of Overload (circuits are temporarily fried). Or:
1% chance to self destruct for each point of Overload (too much juice bricked your CPU).