Troop Buff A-H Thread With Summary

I might be one of the few people who kind of enjoys Draco’s spell, it has saved my bacon on occasion before a Maw, Famine, Death, et al has had a chance to fire off their spell. That said, a 14 mana cost would make it a bit more viable. Also, the spell effects doesn’t really fit with the name Disintegrate. It really should pack a punch with dmg with a chance to completely obliterate the target. I actually have an idea to make the disintegration chance scale at the cost of slowing down one of your own troops, sort of like drawing on extra electricity to power the Death Ray.

Disintegrate (14 Y/P): Mana Drain an allied Mech or Construct. Silence, Stun and deal [Magic + 4] damage to target enemy. 25% chance to destroy the target, boosted by mana collected (x5 boost ratio).

I like to think of the allied Mech or Consruct as a mana battery of sorts to boost the Disintegration Ray, more mana drained from your own troop equals more chance to completely erase the target. I kept the Stun ability there to prevent resurrection shenanigans from IK or TDS, they got atomized after all :wink:

If you don’t have a Mech or Construct on your team the spell still works, just with no boosted death ray chance.

5 Likes

Great idea!

Nice idea, but numbers would need to change! If that drains a ten mana cost ally Mech, that’s a 75% insta-kill, for only 14 mana… nah that’s broken…

Yep I thought about too, plus a Mechanist Fast Mech team could take out a key troop really early in the match. The boost ratio could be toned down a bit!

Come to think of it, another idea for a powerful w negative consequence attribute just came to mind.
Let’s call it “Overload”. Any extra mana past the number needed is still collected by Dracos and that overloaded mana is what is used to boost the Death Ray percentage based on an appropriate boost ratio. Thus the longer you wait and mana you collect the better chance to disintegrate the target.

The downside should be a negative effect boosted by the amount of Overload mana.
It could either be:
5% chance to Silence, Stun and Burn itself for each point of Overload (circuits are temporarily fried). Or:
1% chance to self destruct for each point of Overload (too much juice bricked your CPU).

While I like this concept (Overload), I think it is dangerous to add a trade-off passive effect as a trait. Traits are not refundable, so there is no recourse for players who invest (heavily, in the case of Legendaries). If a trait isn’t strictly an improvement, you stand the risk of “ruining” the troop for some (small, perhaps) percentage of your players.

See for example The Dragon Soul’s original Possession trait, where he would take over another of your troops upon dying. This sounded good on paper, but I could see how it might actually be disruptive to have the troop Possess a ready-to-fire troop and screw with the synergy of the surviving troops. As a result, I avoided traiting TDS until it was changed.

3 Likes

An update here from me then… and this one is all about Dragons…

DRAGON CRUNCHER
http://ashtender.com/gems/troops/6212

• situationally useful against, well, dragons… and I guess elementals…
  • only thing is the Life gain is obsolete in the end gain
  • could make it scale with Magic /2
  • otherwise fine

DRAGON EGGS
http://ashtender.com/gems/troops/6230

• one of the more commonly seen commons
  • I am deeply puzzled by what the spell means: how can hatching a baby dragon (which must trash at least one egg) result in this troop gaining Life? surely it should lose Life?
  • gameplay-wise, can be left alone though

DRAGON KNIGHT
http://ashtender.com/gems/troops/6257

• not a fan of this artwork: or at least it doesn’t fit being a Human…
  • spell is meh: an expensive nuke with a conditional AoE which doesn’t scale? no thanks
  • make that AoE damage scale with Magic /2, and make the cost 13 mana, and it feels better
  • traits… predictable… but work…

DRAGONETTE
http://ashtender.com/gems/troops/6232

• happens to be the name of a very cool band: Dragonette - I Get Around (Official Video) - YouTube
  • spell is fine: can be quite nasty for only 8 mana
  • Fast trait is pants when the spell is so cheap: replace it with Flying
  • otherwise (like most Dragon Claw troops), benefits from powercreepovertimefactor, and can be left as is

DRAGONIAN ROGUE

• cool and unusual spell mechanic (might not be unique for much longer, mind)
  • actually packs a punch for an UR card: drawback is it only hits the last enemy
  • refer to final point of previous troop

DRAGONMOTH

• mmm spell is less good, this one: situational explode I think will very rarely happen
  • and spell isn’t so strong: needs higher base damage, and maybe burn the enemy
  • traits are fine

DRAGOTAUR
http://ashtender.com/gems/troops/6233

• whoa, this one is very strong, and only a rare troop?
  • that buff all allies is seriously overpowered (apparently it’s conditional, but that’s irrelevant as who’d use it in a team apart from with other dragons?)
  • so no buffs needed here, move on

DRAKE RIDER

• one of the few viable troops out of Grosh-Nak this one
  • spell is okay, nice effect, could hit a bit harder (say +1-+2 base damage)
  • nice if the boost ratio also upped the splash damage?
  • Pyromania is an awful trait, especially on a back row caster that has no way to burn things
  • replace it with Flying, or Fast would be nice, or Fire Spirit, or frankly almost anything
3 Likes

DRUID

Very good troop in pve. No changes needed.

DRYAD

Life given should scale with magic.

DUST DEVIL

Interesting troop for early game.
But dmg falls flat later. Give him magic at some levels and scale dmg with magic.

DWAR LORD

Jainus. want so say something about it?
I guess some gold reward on skill use would be nice. also armor gain should scale with magic.

DWARF MINER
This one will be interesting with new mythic.
Replace impervious with +25% more gold gain. I don’t think common troop should have such good trait.
increase magic for leveling
Change skill to Destroy a Gem. Gain [Magic] Gold. 33-50% chance to gain 50 more gold.

D is for…

DRUID

• fine as he is, pretty good for an UR

DRYAD

• I note @vidokas point above, but not sure I agree
  • for a rare, this spell already does quite a lot: life gain, heal, barrier and gems
  • if life gain scaled with Magic stat, this would have double scaling giving 2xMagic stat life to an injured troop
  • which would be too much, with that other stuff
  • I say leave her as she is

DUST DEVIL

• annoying (or amusing) depending on your perspective
  • shuffling the enemy team can really screw them over, the damage is secondary
  • take the point that the damage is irrelevant in the late game, but not sure that matters
  • it has a good set of traits, for a rare troop
  • I vote leave it as it is

DWARF LORD

• I think this guy is okay as he is, for a rare troop
  • hits quite hard for only 9 mana, and traits make sense
  • leave it as it is

DWARF MINER

• possibly the most nonsense useless troop in the game
  • it’s fine for commons to be useless gacha fodder (unlike some supposed commons added recently?)
  • that said, this one is so bad, I’d rewire it
  • a spell for 3 mana? that does what… chance to get 100 gold for early game players… does anyone actually use it for that though? Early game players would earn more by just finishing the battle and moving on
  • traits make more sense, though Stone Link is a support role bit (his spell only costs 3!) and Impervious is kinda wasted here: if you need Impervious, you also need to be able to kill things, or do, er, anything, to help win
  • replace Impervious with Merchant, which I’d say is actually a buff, if he’s only relevant for gold-hunting (and noticed after I wrote this that @vidokas wrote the same thing, so we must be right)
  • no spell should cost 3 mana really: rework this one as 5 mana, pick a gem, destroy it and the five gems below it vertically, gain [Magic] gold, plus 20% chance per yellow gem destroyed to gain +50 gold

DWARVEN SLAYER

• amusing, and almost useful
  • I’d make the damage scale with his Attack stat (adjusting the base +40 accordingly), so that Frenzy is more useful
  • also add: if the enemy dies, gain +3 Glory
  • and remove the one cast per battle limitation: this one is innately limited to once per troop anyway, because he is dead… and one slayer casting it shouldn’t stop other slayers casting it (Bombot is equivalent, and has no such restriction)
1 Like

E is for…

ELF EATER

• musing on this one, and Dragon Cruncher above, I never liked how it’s called Elf Eater but counters Fey as well, it’s confusing and theme doesn’t work
  • I’d redraft it to: deal double damage to Elves, 30% chance to devour a random enemy Elf
  • also make the life gain scale with Magic/2
  • traits seem fine

Hence, while we are at it:

DRAGON CRUNCHER

• rework spell to match Elf Eater, as:
  • deal double damage to Dragons, 30% chance to devour a random enemy Dragon
  • and scale life gain as above

Moving on…

ELVEN BARD

• recent troop and thus benefits from powercreepery
  • no changes needed

ELWYN

• mmm bit rubbish really
  • expensive nuke spell that you cannot aim
  • though does generate some mana and occasional board control
  • for 12 mana, spell could hit harder, maybe +2 base damage and another +1-2 Magic stat as he levels
  • I don’t like Slayer traits on squishy back row caster troops, they’re as much use as a chocolate kettle
  • replace Fey Slayer with, well, any number of things

EMPERINA

• spell is nice, just a bit expensive, maybe drop mana cost by 1-2 points
  • traits are confused again
  • Slayer on a squishy troop again: yes, fits story theme, but again, very little use
  • Aflame doesn’t suit her at all in my view, both style-wise and as a caster troop
  • suggest traits change to Dragon Bond, Fire Link, Arcane

EMPEROR KHORVASH

• recently had a mild nerf, but still one of the most high-powered troops in the game
  • arguably over-powered, but sticking to my principles: this is the buffs thread
  • so nothing else to say here

ENCHANTRESS

• recent release, but not that great actually
  • inconsistency annoys me: here the AoE scales with Magic /2, which I think is sensible for the late game, but almost all other AoE troops haven’t been modified and still scale with Magic stat - I think all AoE should be brought into line to scale with Magic /2 (and base damage adjusted so this isn’t a major nerf)
  • this spell costs a bit much and could afford mana cost to go down by one point

ETTIN

• bit pants really, but as gacha fodder rare I’d leave it as it is

A few more…

FAMINE

• one of the best Mythics, certainly doesn’t need a buff, moving on

FAUNESSA

• bit of an odd one: spell does plenty for the mana cost, and scales well into end game
  • yet doesn’t feel Epic, and doesn’t really feel strong enough to use
  • I kinda think Epic troops shouldn’t have 8 cost spells
  • Life gain isn’t the best here, as she has no mitigation and won’t be used as a tank
  • Empowered trait is wasted on an 8 cost spell, when she has Magic link too: one surge and she fills anyway
  • I’d power her up a little: spell cost 11: and instead give the Life to the first ally, boosted by the target enemy’s attack (2:1?)

FEL’DRAS

• cool idea, but pants spell really
  • actually hits quite hard in some cases, but expensive for a single target nuke
  • the summon effect is useless: 13+ red gems is hard to trigger enough when you are a red troop that needed those gems to cast… and her traits make her a clear front troop hitter (if situational and squishy)
  • remove the summon effect, and add: if the enemy is a Mystic, stun and poison them and create 6 red gems on the board, and just drop mana cost to 12 while we are at it
  • replace Orc Bond with Agile, to help her survive a little

FENRIR

• was recently reworked, and is now pretty strong
  • good synergy with Beasts and especially Wulfgarok
  • replace Leader trait though: you’d only target Beasts, and the +3 Magic on doubled effect double stat boost is unnecessary: also I don’t think many people would put him up front
  • give him Alert, or maybe Earth Link instead

Famine’s mana cost should be a bit higher though (like maybe 22 or 24) due to his spell being insanely powerful but otherwise like you’ve said, no changes at the moment.

1 Like

Thanks but this is the buff thread, and nerf debate is not permitted. This is about addressing power creep and imbalance by buffing unused and obsolete troops (like 80% plus of the collection).

Not gonna venture any further views on Famine.

Feel free to suggest any changes or thoughts on the buff ideas/commentary above though. We’ve lots of troops to get through. Feedback most welcome!

3 Likes

“Fey” is another form of “fairy”, and mythologically speaking fairies and elves are the same thing.

Clearly not in Krystaran mythology…!

1 Like

So here’s a few more buff thoughts from me…

FERIT

• actually not bad for a kingdom story Epic
  • early game he hits hard and drains mana, and traits are not bad
  • just needs a little buff at later levels - better Magic and stats from the two ascensions
  • else leave as is

FINLEY

• might be marginally useful in a loop / gold farm team
  • bit even for lower level players it’s probably better gold farming just to win matches
  • a la Dwarf Miner, I’d give his spell say 25% chance of giving bonus 100 Gold
  • or maybe 10% chance of giving 1-3 Gems?
  • I’d resist reworking him completely, or he loses his peaceful merchant identity

FIRE LIZARD

• more recent troop release, and pretty strong, especially for a rare
  • as this is the buff thread, no further comment

FLAME CANNON

• average-ish gacha fodder mech
  • AoE spell isn’t bad, but there’s usually something better to collect those red/yellow colours
  • bit like Dimetraxia, I’d rework the burn effect to: 25% chance to Burn each enemy, and roll them separately
  • traits ok

FLESH GOLEM

• recently reworked
  • now fine as it is

FOREST GUARDIAN

• recent release, and pretty strong
  • Invigorated trait is rubbish: should probably give 2 Life per spell cast - 1 is irrelevant even in loop teams
  • otherwise leave as is

FORTRESS GATE

• reliably rubbish, and fine that way - features a lot in early game so shouldn’t be touched much
  • for me, that final trait should probably be Armoured or Stoneskin rather than Impervious, both thematically and play-wise - and fine to update, as doesn’t affect early game

FROST GIANT

• had a slight buff at one point to his spell I think
  • okay for a rare
  • I’d replace Big with Cold Touch trait - fits better, and I am not a fan of so many troops having ‘Big’ just because they are quite big

FROSTLING

• recent release
  • okay for a common - doesn’t do any damage with its spell, but the combo with its traits makes for huge melee damage
  • same point as above, Invigorated trait should give +2 Life not just +1
4 Likes

Absolutely, it’s far too low.
Oops, sorry.
Anyway, I agree with the fenrir leader trait, it doesn’t make sense at all and think the suggestion regarding him is sound.

1 Like

G is for… oh dear…

GAR’NOK

• quite possible the worst legendary troop in the game
  • summons a rubbish troop, and summons it after applying a global attack buff
  • and the buff doesn’t scale
  • and the summoned troop blocks his red mana
  • all for 15 mana (more than a certain dragon, for example)
  • traits also rubbish: he’s a summoner, so Armoured? seriously?
  • and a legendary trait that gives him… stat gains, but only in last place… including a Magic stat gain that does nothing
  • we could make a whole thread about this guy… now, how to rework him… completely…
  • change his colours to Brown/Yellow for a start
  • change his spell to: 15 mana: summon a random Orc type troop, then deal 2 true damage to all allies, and give them +[Magic+?] Attack
  • change his traits to Avenger, Invigorated (having moved that to two Life per spell cast, not one) and Orclord
  • and change Orclord trait to: Critical Hit attacks (5+ skull matches) for all allies deal 50% extra damage

and then, by contrast…

• only on this list for alphabetical completeness
  • really doesn’t need a buff
5 Likes

update: unsure on this, or just a regular Orc… if it’s a random Orc type, need to be sure he can’t summon himself… though that’d be funny…

Gar’Nok … lol …

Vicious Orc Warlord that sits at the back of the team? Doesn’t seem right. Should be on the front lines at all times. Change his Orclord into something else, give him back Leader. Keep Armored. Remove the summon since it makes no sense there. Scale the attack buff with magic. I’d like to see something like attack buff scaling with damage taken, similar to Hydra’s, or maybe scaling with allied Orcs like Dragon Soul’s ability.

Or maybe for a more sadistic twist, give him ‘Sacrifice an ally. Summon a random Orc. All allies gain attack equal to the sacrificed allies’.’

His legendary trait can really be anything else. I’d be happy with something like ‘Gain 3 attack whenever an ally takes damage’ which would be crazy fun with his ability hitting his allies still. Failing that, maybe something slightly chaotic like ‘Deals double/triple skull damage to enemies who have armor’ - OP but not guaranteed, typical Orc stuff :stuck_out_tongue: - and added bonus of being a bad combo with everyone’s least favorite Undead Dragon.

1 Like

The whole groshnak kingdom is on a high priority for a rework, and garnok will be included.
Tho next July troop is scheduled for Jully third, and i think this kingdom deserves attention a lot before that. Especially garnok, since he is probably the worst legendary of them all, and im willing to bet, one of top 5 least used troops.

3 Likes