This is why we need MODS in chat NSFW

You should be one if that was an option.

Also yeah it’s a real shame, but that’s the normal action to take.

1 Like

There is almost infinite space to join as theres almost infinite channels, freedom of speech is not negotionable. there is no system there to determine what can and cannot be said its either everything can be said or nothing can be said, if you want to live in a society where nothing can be said then kindly move to north korea or something. Here in the west we have free speech. Its actions that determine where your freedom ends and another one’s begins. Words will never touch you. anyone that is ever offended does that to themselves. In the fair point of having some space for children to chat amongst eachother… there should be a children only chat for that then. Personally im against children even being on the internet in the first place. It was never meant for children it was meant for coders and librarians. That theres brandname surface sites that look like they come right out of the promotionwindow of a candyshop doesnt mean the internet is the place for children. School and playing outside is the place for children. And they will sing songs about dongs and teets there themselves aswell. The only thing that should happen here is that the chatsystem should remember your choice of channel and your choice of being connected or disconnected from chat in the first place rather than reset it to channel 1 and post whatever is said in your main screen. Heck that should be changed too. Lets only read chat when we actually want to. Cencorship will be a very quick road downwards with alot of unhappy people that get muted or banned just because the mod doing the modding at that time doesnt have his day.

2 Likes

I think perhaps you don’t understand what “free speech” entails.

Freedom of speech – the First Amendment – asserts that the government cannot censure you or criminalize you for what you say, write, or believe. It is a “contract” (if you will) between you and the public institutions and services that surround you. It does not now, nor has ever, extended to a civil agreement between two non-government entities. When you are playing Gems of War, you have entered into an agreement between yourself and a private company. You agree to abide by the rules, and pay for optional services if you desire, and they agree to serve you content. This agreement is non-binding and can be terminated at will at any time, and for any reason. The upshot of this is that there is absolutely zero protection you can assert (by law) for repercussions (including in-game censorship of offensive speech).

Freedom of Speech is an important right, but it doesn’t apply here.

21 Likes

And thats how gems of war can and will lower their image and lose active and potential customers if they would cencor freedom of speech.

Actually if Infinity Plus 2 were to impose stricter rules on chat or use active moderators, they would be the same as most other online games. Games such as World of Warcraft, League of Legends, and others can and do ban people for similar verbal offenses. Usually these are reported, and would then be reviewed by the company while also looking at their previous chat histories etc. Occasionally the player might receive a temporary ban, while their case is being investigated, and then have the ban lifted or extended based on the outcome.

It’s more about what is considered acceptable conversation. It’s generally accepted that you wouldn’t go around asking random people these kind of questions in person, and that still applies in a public chat room. Just because you only see text on a screen doesn’t mean there aren’t people on the other side of it. Usually the people who ask these questions in chat rooms do so because they know it will annoy and disgust people, and rile them up, rather than a genuine desire to know the answer to the question.

I don’t know about mods, but a report/mute button would be well within reason.

6 Likes

I think you have that backwards. Places of business have to remove these bad eggs so they DON’T lose potential customers.

If someone is causing a stir in Starbucks, they’re getting removed. Same with a bar, or any other business.

12 Likes

This is what i think (and agree with):

The solutions i would like:

• i dont volunteer but i cheer up for all the volunteers there who would do it right! i consider moding rather a luxure and would prefer to rely on the other options but if this can come in action one day then it could work just as nicely :slight_smile:

• i would like to see a report button that would require few (for example 10 votes) to mute a person for 10-15minutes, nothing big, not a high penalty but something that could allow players to get the chat sorted and gain a bit of peace

• mute button with both options: temporary mute for this session and another option to perma mute the person (as a parent i would perfer perma mute the ppl who just tend to talk the way i dont want my kid grow fond of)

• dedicating certain channels for certain purposes like “nonsense” and other subjects would be great, while at it put an official list in the forum/website mayeb even in game.

• allowing in settings to set a prefered channel and a secondary preferred channel also allowing that setting to be set as ‘no channel’ or ‘disconnect’ if someone chooses to disconnect or re-try the first one rather then being booted into another channel. so the game would just try to autoconnect within these two (if first one was full then onto the second else loop) …uh i kinda wrote it chaotically but im sure devs can figure it out

• also maybe to add a a custom filter option so ppl could add more words they want filtered out

• allow to turn the filter on /off

2 Likes

A programmed reminder text, maybe hourly, stating that offensive behavior and non-safe-for-work subjects in all chat channels when reported will result into in-game bans could suffice for now as preventive measure, until some chat moderators could be assigned. At support people would still need to review these reports if a moderator missed something, so i think it’s worth a shot.

If the chat system could allow you to create a room with a password preventing anyone from entering that room unless you are “invited” having you password then people could make a fool of themselves all they want there, but even this kind of user secrecy is undesirable by many companies.

I don’t think it means what you think it means.

1 Like

Youre all overreacting here … these are not verbal offenses this is just pubescent joking around, a verbal offense would be threatening someone or spamming the chat with actual obscenities. Neither of the chat examples given would fit that description. And fyi ive had high moderation roles myself on media which means ive seen it all and thats exactly why i am against imposing such a harsh response on this type of admittedly childish but in no way offensive chat. You guys really want to have moderators breathing down everyones neck just so you can let your 4 year old join a friggin online chat? Get real. He/she shouldnt even be in a chat to begin with.

1 Like

It’s a business, run by a private company. There is no such thing as “censorship” or “freedom of speech”. They can literally run their business any way they want.

Furthermore, the First Amendment protects the freedom to express one’s self in an intelligent and constructive manner. Throwing out the Founding Fathers as defense for acting like a mouth-breathing moron is an insult to the Constitution and the people who wrote it.

4 Likes

Congratulations. Great definition of “locker room talk”. Sounds like you’re saying boys will be boys, no big deal it doesn’t mean anything. Well, it does mean something. It means they have no respect for themselves or anyone they interact within global chat. No, we don’t need to tolerate this kind of nonsense. We do not have to allow the idiots to take over global 001 on the basis of a bogus free speech argument. They can learn to behave themselves like civilized people or they can go elsewhere. And as for your prior moderator experience, it’s moderators like you that teach them they can behave like this with no consequences. Thanks for the help.

15 Likes

It is not the dev’s job to protect your kids, it is your job to protect your kids.

As for the freedom of speech discussion, I may not be a constitutional lawyer, but I am pretty sure that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences due to your words. Go tell a police officer or a judge to ^#$! themselves, see what happens.

3 Likes

No, but it’s their job to protect their game. It’s not even just about kids, many adults also consider this stuff offensive, and it’s the devs’ responsibility and interest to make sure a few selfish players do not make the game unpleasant for many other players.

There are two ways a parent may choose to protect their child in this situation. One it to prevent them from playing the game (an by extension, any game with a chat feature), The other is to actively try to make the game a safer place for their kids to be. Either method makes sense, and a parent may choose to do either or both.

The people complaining here are doing exactly that - by reporting the offensive incidents and requesting for preventive measures, they are preforming the best actions they can to protect their kids.

8 Likes

It’s astonishing how often this has been relevant:

27 Likes

Nor do we need to create a special chanel just for inappropriate behavior.
As one new person said 'if this is the type of game that allows this talk I’m quitting. There are other games that don’t allow this crap. ’
And they are right. Other games have mute and report. Last night’s chat was a good example. One person being hateful to a whole country. It means if you play GOW and are from that country prepare for hate speach. That will do wonders for sales.

5 Likes

Still love that image. :smile:

They should post that image on the front page of every game forum. It still amazes me that so many people can’t understand the simple concept of freedom of speech. It’s a legal right given by some governments. It has nothing at all to do with what a business, private community or individual has to put up with in spaces they control.

3 Likes

I disagree. It is the dev’s responsibility to develop and provide a game, not act like a nanny. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want my kids seeing that stuff either, but it is my job to monitor the content they consume.

1 Like

@yonizaf is right. They’re not “acting as a nanny,” they’re making sure their product appeals to customers. If it does not, they are harming themselves. In this instance, what is best for the company also happens to be what is best for non-juvenile delinquents.

7 Likes

plenty of great games with wayyy bigger user bases have much more toxic communities/ingame chat going on,if you feel the need to quit a game based on what some random person is saying in a chat, the internetz is probably not the best place for a special snowflake such as said offended persons.

2 Likes