The treasure map cap is NOT 10 per match anymore! EDIT: Cap is 50!

Yeah, I agree. And folks have been calling for a “bulk use” again, not b/c the rewards are crap, but b/c they have so many of them…

2 Likes

That, and to save time. Use 100 Maps, get 70x the reward on one Map. It’s a gamble.

Seems appropriate for a mini-game that is, for all intents and purposes, a slot machine simulator.

Slot machine simulator? How do you figure? It seems highly dependent on skill to me.

100 maps for 70x the rewards would never be a gamble. Even at 40-50 matches you would get absurdly strong rewards for very little time spent, and you can easily farm dozens more maps. It would be utterly game breaking.

It’s a gamble because you can land a bad Map and do20-25 moves. Also the rewards are random. You can get 75+ moves and get 2 Glory.

If they ever do a mass-use option, there will be a cap.

I’ve never gotten 20-25. And at 75+ moves you may not get a lot of Glory, but you’re getting a ton of something and at a far higher rate than anywhere else in the game.

It’s also not a gamble in the sense that Maps are so easy to come by that you can afford to spam bulk-use repeatedly, ensuring incredibly strong rewards over time.

Not everyone accumulates Maps at a high rate, nor are many players who are skilled at Maps to consistently make good rewards with a bulk-use option.

Some players will make out like bandits though.

1 Like

Like me! :slight_smile:

There’s really not any skill to it. The easiest way to get long streaks is to knock out matches at the bottom and watch the cascades build up. Further, the rewards are far too random and varied. Ultimately it’s these terrible payouts that make it more like a slot machine than the actual mini-game mechanic itself.

If I do X number of Explores, I’m nearly guaranteed to get Y number of arcane or celestial traitstones.

If I do A number hard PvP matches, I’m guaranteed to get B amount of Glory, C amount of Trophies, and nearly guaranteed to get D amount of Gold.

If I do 50 moves on a treasure map, I MIGHT get 100 Glory, or I might get 800 Gold…or I MIGHT get 150 souls, or I might get a couple of keys.

1 Like

I disagree that the payouts are terrible. In fact, I think they’re pretty darn good. I may be outside the norm, but I’m approaching level 600 and still regularly use maps.

On console, we have neither Explore nor the new PvP system yet, so when it comes to gaining resources, the only viable options are PvP and maps. PvP of course has the advantage when it comes to acquiring gold, but unless you’re using Valkyrie in your team, maps provide a better source of income of pretty much everything else: most notably glory and traitstones, but also souls, gems, gem keys, and glory keys. Sure, in any given game it’s a toss-up as to what you will receive, but if you play enough games, the rewards will even out.

I’m not saying the payouts are amazing, but given the relative ease with which maps can be acquired, I’m surprised they are as good as they are. Add in the fact that they are a nice break–to me, at least–from the endless grind of PvP and challenges (and once in a while, Arena), and you have a very worthwhile mini-game.

2 Likes

Do X number of treasure maps averaging Y turns and with Z miscellaneous payouts and you get a blended average amount of rewards. This is no different from Explores or PvP, it’s just more complicated b/c there’s more variability in turns and rewards.

And if some people are routinely able to get 30 turns while others get 70 while others get 100+ then clearly there’s skill involved.

It’s not a slot machine. And its average rewards/hr are quite good if you focus on getting as many turns as possible without pausing to think for more than a couple of seconds. With a bulk use it would be utterly game breaking.

2 Likes

thats the fun!

Of course over a massive amount of time, the law of averages is going to kick in. Unfortunately, there’s only 7 days in a week and that’s how long an individual event lasts. Except for the very highest levels and best guilds, where a player has access to massive amounts of glory and gems, nobody has time to wait for the law of averages. It’s all about how much you can gather before the weekly event expires and you miss out on whatever premium resource is offered that week.

If bulk use would be game breaking then Explore and PvP are already broken. Other than the occasional diversion and some people who simply enjoy maps, why would anyone exchange guaranteed payouts for potential payouts when this game so tightly pairs time spent with progression? As much as I hate the idea of min/max, this game is really designed to be exactly that.

I still play maps too and I’m 550-ish. I primarily play them because I don’t like the thought of wasting resources, given how scarce some of them are in this game (e.g. souls).

Your point is punctuated by the fact that you’re on console. Once Explore arrives, you’ll find that the traitstone payouts of maps are nearly worthless in comparison.

And while the payouts CAN be better with maps for other resources, other mini-games are more CONSISTENT. As I mentioned in my response to Studs, THE resource in this game is the player’s time. For this reason, and really only this reason, maps lose a considerable amount of worth.

I’d love to see the scope of map rewards narrowed further. Give it a niche like the other mini-games. Personally, I think TREASURE maps should reward treasure (gold, keys gems) and get rid of the glory and souls.

To be honest, this would be unfair to the newer players if such were implemented. I got my teenage daughter addicted to the game, and she only recently was able to pull Valkyrie. But I did advise her to get Tyri as fast as possible, so that she could do treasure maps for souls, gems, etc. So until Level 50, she relied on the maps for those souls that would otherwise have come very, very slowly.

1 Like

The whole souls thing is a bigger issue - Valkyrie should not be the only reliable way to get souls.

Beyond that the fact that you said “until Level 50” says a lot. Maps need to be changed so that they have more long-term usability.

Well, I say “until level 50” because she just recently achieved that milestone. She is still doing maps, as they are still useful for her. However, I do agree that later on, higher up, we do not receive as much enjoyment as each player realizes that different actions net better results. I’d love a map-change towards usability. I recently hit 300, and probably haven’t touched my maps in 100 levels, at least.

I follow along on all these discussions, and for the most part, agree that somewhere, we need a different way to receive souls–as for now, each of us finds the best way for ourselves.

You and I are different. You don’t see any real use for maps anymore due to the way you can typically get most resources. But players like myself always need Glory, and at times 3 per match won’t be enough after the original Rank 15 to Rank 1 journey; in most cases that’s only 60-80 glory, depending on performance and win streaks. I got double the higher estimate with 4 maps and ONE battle to get what was supposed to be Valor. All told, if they’re a necessity for what you’re trying to do, whether you’re level 10 or 1,000, you ALWAYS need something. That something just happens to be treasure maps for me.

1 Like

I’m about to do a 100 Treasure Map run with a detailed breakdown of resources gained and moves done.

One project at a time, my Case study ends tonight.

2 Likes

You CAN get double that amount of glory from a few maps, yes. You might also get HALF that amount too.

It’s much like investments - some people don’t mind the high risk/high reward stuff while others prefer a more modest, but much more predictable, return on investment.

Time is just too valuable in this game for me to spend on MAYBE getting a certain resource.