The New Defend Meta

You get gold, glory and sometimes souls from losing a defence battle. Then on revenge you can challenge the person to a revenge battle which nets you gold, glory, souls and possibly trait stones.[quote=“Spherix, post:80, topic:15349”]
Am I missing something major, or is everyone just running on old assumptions?
[/quote]

i forgot about this.

How is invading a bunch of one-troop defenses fun? At that point you’re just playing cookie clicker.

You can debate if you like, but playing more matches against easier opponents in the same amount of time equals more traitstones in that time.

You could try it.

It’s right there when you click on a revenge match, you get bonus glory for revenges (and rivals, but I’m unclear on what constitutes a rival).

Per match is the wrong way to look at it. Per time played might help. You get easier matches fielding a one-troop defense. You get more revenges, which offer more resources. You can play more of them in the same amount of time. RoI is higher for everything but PvP points and trophies.

With that logic, then yes.

It should be noted that lowering the defence team power also lowers gold offered.

The reasoning behind it is this:
You start getting offered lower level/power defences, for lower gold and pvp points, but you still get 3 trophies and 5+ glory (and 1 traitstone). The defences you are up against now have less eHP, meaning certain teams, boombots for example, start being viable in pvp.
Your matches now are much faster, and it might be worth it in terms of reduced gold/pvp points, with the reduced time invested, I never personally tried it because I want more gold/points per battle, and when I am on mobile, the loading screens take a while.

If you play the same amount of time, you’ll end up with more gold. Time per match goes down more than gold per match does.

One of the only cases where it might not make sense is if you’re chasing the PvP leaderboard. Even then, it still might be a wash.

Just to clarify one thing. Defense team DOES NOT AFFECT the opponents you get when you invade.

Is that for certain? There seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence that it does. Without changing my invade team, I went from my 3 trophy choice being 8k+ every single match, to maybe 1 in 10. I’ve also seen more lower level choices at 1/2 trophies, where before I never saw anything below lvl500. Maybe it’s the larger number of revenges popping up from lower level players choosing to attack into my weak defense. There’s also more single troop defenses in my invade choices, but admittedly that could just be everyone else choosing to do that now.

3 Likes

Yes it is certain. I got the confirmation from Sirrian himself. There was a lot of talk about it, so I had to ask him and got the confirmation that it does not affect.

1 Like

I disagree.

3 Likes

Hahahaha with what do you disagree mate? Are you serious? You disagree with something a developer confirmed? I don’t even know what to say. .

Yep, I disagree with your statement. All of it. I am serious.

I have the same experience as @Mahamoti

Developers also thought Wulfgarok was fixed when first released which was incorrect, so they are not always the beacon of truth.

3 Likes

I’ve seen 2 things effect the opponents I fight. Defense team and pvp losses. I once was on a 630 win streak, as soon as I lost my first match, my 3 opponent choices were super easy and low score.

If you say so my friend :slight_smile:
There’s no doubt you know more then the people that developed the game!

I’ve seen this exact thing. Solid defense team, get a plethora of manticore/borer/dragon matches worth 40ish points each. Swapped defense team to a single bombot, and suddenly I’m getting milder matches in the 30s and the 1 trophy matches were against single troop defenses.

They may not realize it because it is buried deep, but there IS a correlation.

8 Likes

@DonBoba and I were just discussing it. It’s basically based on your attack team win streak (more or less) the higher your streak, the harder your opponents. Based on that theory I think I’ve figured out why changing your defend team to lower might effect it. If your team is successful and on a streak, then you change your defense team, that breaks your streak technically. Might have something to do with that. Just an educated guess. @DonBoba was told that your defend team doesn’t play a part in your opponents at ALL though.

It judges your teams based on number of wins. So changing that in any way might restart the process and judgement.

I know that your level, and pvp level plays a part as well.

If you’ve noticed, the higher the win streak you have, the harder or more annoying the opponents. The minute you lose, it resets and the opponents become easier for a small time til your streak restarts.

I don’t know, I’d like to see someone mess around with it and try to nail it down. I’m guessing there’s a lot of smoke and mirrors here though so we can’t game the system.

One thing that’s for certain is going to a single troop defense does lower your gold earned, that’s fact. So obviously defense does factor into SOMETHING.

1 Like

All,
Just because Sirrian sent sent one super secret private message to DonBoba how he designed the Invade algorithm works does not mean that it is working 100% as intended, unless there has never ever been bug in Gems…

Maybe you need to try it for a while before making that assertion with such confidence…

3 Likes

What I’m seeing is a reduction in the average power of teams, or at least some influence toward the boundaries. The toughtest match I’ll face is still 8600+, occasionally, but I’ll also occasionally see an extremely weak match on my three trophy. I’ll see extremely weak and maxed out teams regardless of what I used, but the frequency is less. Using the weaker team I’ll occasionally see a mid 4ks or 5ks team on my three trophy battle, though, which I’ve never seen happen with a high score defend team (not to say it can’t happen, just that I’ve never seen it).

It could be coincidental, but I think there is enough anecdotal evidence to at least warrant some testing, so I decided to screenshot 10 of my matchmaking screens with a high score and low score defense team set.

It is not definitive with this sample size, of course, but there seems to be a trend here:

With a 4658 defend team, here were my matches:

And with an 8633 score team, I got these:

I lost none of the battles (current win streak 68, 48 before starting) and defend team won only one battle about halfway through the “strong” run and lost one toward the end (last or second to the last battle), and lost none while my “weak” run was in progress (ie, I was not invaded during this time).

5 Likes

thats why my ideal-to-be defense is not a single unit that ‘always’ looses but a full team made to have a chance for either - win quickly or loose quickly, you keep some defense wins, ppl get some chellenge in a short fight - wim:win

I used a full team of untraited level 5 season imps.

I’d imagine someone actually using a 4500ish invade team would be in for an actual fight, considering their stats: