The New Defend Meta

thats why my ideal-to-be defense is not a single unit that ‘always’ looses but a full team made to have a chance for either - win quickly or loose quickly, you keep some defense wins, ppl get some chellenge in a short fight - wim:win

I used a full team of untraited level 5 season imps.

I’d imagine someone actually using a 4500ish invade team would be in for an actual fight, considering their stats:

And to illustrate the point…

I miss invading @esslee… used to be a full-time hobby two years ago… now she’s my GL and it’d probably count as sedition…

1 Like

This is exactly what I see - and is directly linked to the power of the defence team i field for the week.

For all those nonbelievers:

And you are free to think what ever you want, I don’t really care, so I won’t try to defend or comment on this anymore. I showed why I said what I said, and if someone thinks Sirrian doesn’t know what he is talking about, well you make up your own rules and play by them.

4 Likes

So, with apologies because I’m too lazy to read the entire discussion, but the majority of you see more variety in PVP if you set a weak defense (1 troop defense for example) ?

Or have I completely missed the point here (it’s sunday morning here, so my brain is still in shut down mode currently… :wink: )

It’d be great to avoid the bone dragon / deep borer / manticore / courage and manticore / khorvash / valkyrie / mab parade that’s currently dominating PVP

1 Like

@sirrian operates at a higher and serene level of intellectual supremacy, and just occasionally the execution of His divine expectations in the game’s code does not exactly coincide with how He would have expected them to function.

Wasn’t doubting that the esteemed @sirrian had informed you of the above; however there’s a lot of anecdotal evidence around that His illustrious pronouncements above are not precisely in line with many individuals’ current game experience. Perhaps these are a statistical anomaly and all is to most others operating as per His will.

3 Likes

I am big enough to say when i am wrong, and yep i was wrong about how defence dictates in part the opponent’s strength. This explains why my team is always competitive to a certain degree. The question is what slots get which formulas? Also how will we test and self discover the formulas.

FWIW, I believe @Sirrian and @DonBoba. It may be a combination of the meta, PvP defense losses influencing the choices, and increased invades from lower level players offering more lower level revenges. None of that contradicts Sirrian’s statement.

What I’ve noticed is, if I haven’t played, say, overnight, and start up a session where I play 10-20 matches in a row… the first couple matches are stronger choices, before the low level revenges and lesser PvP scores across all selections start appearing. Defense losses could explain that.

So, even if defense team score isn’t directly related to the formula for invade choices, the difference is there somehow, as I’ve seen pretty much exactly what @Mithran showed (thanks for that BTW. Alas, my poor Bombot. I knew him well).

Two other things I’m curious about:

What affects the minimum gold you get from PvP? Mithran never goes below 779, Drathas never goes below 775. I personally never see below 777, for exactly the same players available for invades. Is it level? Attack team score? Multipliers? Kingdom levels? Can anyone else report a min far off from the upper 700’s?

What affects the “Rival” flag? Someone mentioned maybe after your defense is invaded twice by the same player. But I’ve seen the same player, in the same play session, be a rival and not a rival, a revenge and not a revenge.

@DonBoba
This topic has come up in other threads and your are the only one to write that a players Defend team has absolutely ZERO effect whatsoever on Invade selection.

I’m sure per your screen grab Sirrian “planed” it not to count, but almost everyone’s experience playing the actual game shows that real gameplay differs from the “plan”.

Look they “planed” the Guild update to arrive on console in October, and I can determine from actual gameplay we don’t have it. Things don’t always go as planned, bugs happed, etc

Anybody old enough to remember Asheron’s Call? If so, you might recall the legend of the Wi Flag. It is an excellent story about how unintended consequences can crop up in code - Wi Flag | Asheron's Call Community Wiki | Fandom

1 Like

i saw devs saying that rival is someone that you attacked few times, but i dont remmember where
(also there is a rival and revenge list so only first x ppl fit in and old ones get pushed out)

We still don’t even have the bugs to the first mythics on console fixed. It’s been literally months.

i wonder does it mean if i get to invade with low team score for a week ill start seeing low team score choices :o
(tough chellenge is it xD )

Changing my defense team to a single weak troop also had an impact on my invade options.
It’s not an anedoctal, biased or even an impression, no matter how neutral i would want to put it: It’s a fact. I see much more “1 forever alone troop” teams than i would meet using any competitive defense…

Now, if some are experiencing something diferent, and why they could be experiencing this, is something i can’t explain.

That the devs did not planned this to happen is probably a fact as well, but the outcome of the code could just be messed up once it was introduced into the servers, they had trouble replicating certain bugs that did not ocurred in the “lab” before and it could be the case again.

I had played Asheron’s call for many years, I did not read discussion boards back then and never knew something like that existed. I still consider it the best loot system a MMO has ever had.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t think anyone was calling Sirrian a liar. It’s just definitely not what’s happening. Your defense team does effect the opponents you see and how much gold they’re worth.

1 Like

I guess I’m just not seeing it. No matter what I put in as my defense team, I end up with the same rotation of bone dragon, manticore, Courage, and Khorvash

In my experience and based on similar comments above, you need to try a certain weak team without changing it for at least a period of time to see the impact.

If you come back and tell us that you have tried the same weak team for a week and not seen a drop in Mantiboredom, then that would be different to everyone else’s experience.

3 Likes