The graphic-loading bug that WILL NOT DIE

Intro

I had to think carefully before posting this because I was not capturing at the time so there is no proof. But it happened as plainly as I am sitting in my chair, and this bug should be thoroughly dead at this point. So I figured the worst that can happen is that I bring it up on forum and others might share if they have observed the same. And perhaps they will have the proof I currently lack.

I also think that I have observed a set of peculiar conditions that a) I have never personally seen before; and b) might strongly hint at the underlying problem with this long-standing bug :zap:

If this is an every-day thing now that the Unity version has shippedā€¦ well that is something I would have been blind to because I have been on hiatus. Apologies in advance if that is the case but I did a little testing and only ever saw it this one time.

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened?

I was Traitstone farming an Explore fight at Normal difficulty with a team composed of PE/2BB/DM. (Princess Elspeth, Bombot, Bombot, Dwarven Miner). Notably clicking the Pridelands Kingdom then clicking Explore and beginning the fight were the only actions I took within the game after it loaded after a fresh PC reboot.

When the scene transitioned to the Game Board with the Human and AI Troops on each side and before any action was taken, random Gems fell from the top to populate the Board. I then noticed that the graphic for Troop 1 (PE) had not loaded and there was an empty Card Frame. My PE has the Empowered Trait so I expected to see the ā€œCastā€ graphic for PE under the Card Frame. The Swirling Runes animation was shown in the Card Frame indicating that Troop is ready to Cast.

Puzzled that this STD of a game bug seemed to have hitched a ride onto the Unity version, I sat annoyed and pondering. I took no actions for about 3-5 seconds and during that time the state of the Game didnā€™t change. :zap:This detail might be highly relevant :zap:

I noticed a 4-match so I took it, heard the ā€œExtra Turnā€ SFX and after a number of cascades I saw that the PE Cast graphic was now showing. It just kind of appeared somewhere during or immediately after the cascades but I did not observe exactly when.

At this point I noticed that the graphics for Troops 2 and 3 (my Bombots) that were there a second ago BOTH disappeared the instant a big Mana surge occurred giving them enough Mana to Cast.

I was expecting to see the Cast graphics for both my BBs with the Swirling Runes animation over-layed. All I saw was two empty Frames in Troop positions 2 & 3 with just the Swirling Runes animations.

I sat there laughing and for what felt like more than 10 seconds. Nothing was happening on the screen and the game was waiting on input as it was my turn to act.

:zap: Then out of the blue, and having taken no action whatsoever not even touching the mouse suddenly I heard the ā€œMana Surgeā€ SFX and at that exact instant the two BB Cast graphics appeared in their Card Frames (with the Swirling Runes animations still showing). Woahā€¦ big, big clue here. :zap:

And thatā€™s where this thing sits as I type this and you can better believe Iā€™m recording now!

What are the steps to make it happen again?

I will record an hour of casual play hoping to catch it again.

Do you have any screenshots or video you want to share with us so we can see the problem? Attach them to your post!

:cry:

I donā€™t want to over-hype the significance of this, but if anybody in the IP2 studios sees a coder or network sysop do a flying cartwheel down the hallway for no apparent reason this report might have something to do with it :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh godā€¦ I think your application might (secretly) be trying to load a once-networked resource that is timing out in a crazy way.

This bug has haunted me in various ways for my whole game dev career in various incarnations.

The timing is what got me hereā€¦ graphics, sound, presentation, etcā€¦ things were waiting on a timing mechanismā€¦ this reeks of something not known or intended that is happening and timing out in the background.

Hi @KrudlerTheHorse i dont want to derail thos thread but i wanted to address what happened in the othwr thread.

I really dont know why you blew up at me the way you did and i dont feel i deserved it. All i said was that i am glad you are back. Maybe you are confusing me with someone else or something. Well anyway i just wanted to say this. I will be praying for you bruddašŸ˜Ž

I am truly glad you are back

Ok you got that performance out of the way for all to see.

Now let us carry on as strangers.

@Ozball @SaltyPatra get this guy off my nuts please

edit: And apply that solution to its ALT account that magically appeared below too. Thanks :slight_smile:

Bruh. Iā€™m trying to be patient.

Iā€™ll just be blunt. Snitch much?

Oh yeah. Iā€™m talking to u @KrudlerTheHorse

You know who gets upset about ā€˜snitchesā€™ EmsDad15?

People who have done wrong things. People who are collusionists, cheaters, liars and two-faced frauds.

Of course those kinds of people donā€™t like it when they get caught so they attack the whistleblower and call them a ā€œsnitchā€. Rather than address their own poor behavior, they attack the whistleblower.

This is the kind of schoolyard mentality that allows bullying and other horrible behavior. I hope this gives you something to think about.

1 Like

Are you trying to out yourself as being part of the group of collusionists and cheaters?

Great, then I donā€™t need to. You play your hand, I donā€™t need to play mine.

1 Like

@SaltyPatra maybe lock this one down or preferably, lock down a few accounts that are a little hot-under-the-collar right now

1 Like

Bruh? You being serious right now?

You my best friend bruh

Well I guess you are hell-bent on showing everybody your true character and what a small person you are. Not sure why. Probably fear. You are winning no friends here.

1 Like

Remember that time you PMed me out of the blue to smack-talk Tacet, and to try to get me to talk shit about him and I wouldnā€™t? I pretty much knew who you were and what you were all about from that moment. Thatā€™s all you are. Thatā€™s all you ever have been. I have never been your friend. Ever. Let that be clear to you and all listening. You are nothing but trash in my eyes and that is the last word I will ever say to you.

1 Like

Hey can we keep the language clean please?

1 Like

Bruh. Let it be known. I love @Tacet. Iā€™m pretty sure heā€™s in the top 3 best contributing player in this community. I have never pm you. Show me bruh

2 Likes

Oh boy! Look at you! :joy:

:popcorn:

10 characters.

3 Likes

Yes @Saltypatra , please look at todayā€™s posts, and lock the accounts of those that are simply attacking or calling others out. The forum doesnā€™t need thisā€¦

Iā€™ll be closing this thread as it violates community guidelines. In regards to the bug I have copied the information and make an internal report.

1 Like