The 2nd GoW Forum Fantasy Series: Third Place Match

Derp.

slinks off

2 Likes

Where’s @Lyya, Devil’s-Advocate-and-somehow-also-Mercy, when I need her?!

Here’s the bottom line: It takes me two shots of Wight and/or Behemoth to kill Boar Rider. It takes you filling Boar Rider 10+ times in order to kill Behemoth and Bone Dragon. Is it possible that you can manage to fill Boar Rider 10+ times before I can fill two troops once? Sure. But I wouldn’t want to hang my hat on that.

What’s far more likely is that you’ll get 5 or 6 turns in a row, get off Boar Rider a couple of times, then you’ll lose control. You’re not going to keep control for the entire game. It just won’t happen. And as soon as you lose control, your Boar Rider is done, and your team falls with it. You’re creating tons of Greens and Purples that you can’t do anything with, and you have no skull gen to attack with Hydra.

1 Like

One of two options for how it plays out:

Option 1:

1. I fill Wight and hit Boar Rider early.
  2. You take control and don’t let up for a bunch of rounds and get Behemoth pretty low, maybe even kill him.
  3. You eventually lose control, and I seize the opportunity to finish Boar Rider since it only takes two hits.
  4. Your team is impotent without Boar Rider and your loss is inevitable.

Option 2:

1. I can’t find gem matches to fill Behemoth/Wight so I focus on attacks and filling Bone Dragon. I probably get in a hit or two of Hydra.
  2. In the mean time, you’re dominating play time, getting crazy chains, and you eventually wear down my Behemoth.
  3. Bone Dragon then gets filled. He takes Giant Spider’s armor and creates enough skulls to get off 3 attacks (possibly more and possibly including a critical hit). That’s enough to deal 45 to 60+ damage in one round killing Hydra and Giant Spider in a single turn. (They’ve got a total HP pool of 57, minus a decent chunk more from a previous attack or two of 15+ damage each.)
  4. Your team is way slower with only Green Seer and Boar Rider left, and any attacks make you Frozen making it even slow, and thus it falls apart.

Yes, you have a really nice combo. But the only way it works is if I never get a turn. Literally one turn is enough to kill Boar Rider or Hydra + Giant Spider thanks to Bone Dragon’s skull gen and Wight/Behemoth’s spell damage, and in either scenario your team is finished.

1 Like

So…
Most people don’t like math. My grade school math teacher was really sweet though, and taught me it’s important to count. Turns out she was right, as it’s what gets you through life, AND games.

So let’s count (again):

Hits it takes to kill Boar Rider: 2.
Best case scenario without mana surge:
Number of turns it takes for your team to charge up Wight twice without surges : 8 (Red Gems only, Blue first goes to Behemoth).
Number of turns for Wight + Behemoth: 6 (focusing on Brown then Blue)

Vs

Number of turns it takes for Green Seer to be active : 2.
Number of loops the combo goes through before it stalls (with Boar Rider as an adjuster), average based on experience: 30+
Turns it takes Boar Rider to kill Behemoth: 4 (44 total resistence, 11 damage per hit)
Turns it takes Boar Rider to kill Bone Dragon: 5 (45 total resistence)

Even if through terrible luck, the combo stalls for one turn, you don’t use Green and there won’t be any sets of 4/5 purple (otherwise it would not have stalled). 1 turn isn’t enough for you to charge a troop, or catch up with the combo.

Do the math properly @Studs. The combo never breaks down after 5-6 turns.

1 Like

Ah, Bone Dragon. Once Behemoth dies, he becomes a toothless puppy. He can shred armor (for 14 gems) but he’ll be entangled. Poor puppy won’t do any damage with 0 attack, regardless of how many skulls it can make. Meanwhile, Hydra and Giant Spider will have gotten so much life from all the sets of 4/5 the combo generates that armor won’t matter.

Face it: Behemoth isn’t actually tough, when it dies after 4 hits from the Boar Rider. There’s a reason why people play Goblins - the damage adds up fast, and you never get a chance to play. This team takes that idea to a much higher level.

1 Like

My opponents keep claiming my team has a single source of damage. It has 2. The combo doesn’t just get sets of Green and Purple. It gets lots of skull chains as well. So besides the boar rider, the Hydra is smashing away all while the combo keeps rolling. At 17 damage per hit, it takes just 3 hits to kill either Behemoth or Bone Dragon. Best of all, as explained above, it’s completely immune to frozen.

If it makes you feel any better, @Bobomb, I’ve voted for you in every round because I understand the potency of your deck. It’s speed beats it’s fragility in every case. :upside_down:

I’d also like to point out, for every stray skull match Studs scrounges up, your Hydra deals 3 damage to all his troops, as well as makes it’s spell that much more powerful. You’d actually want the entangled Bone Dragon to hit you at that point, just +10 more spell damage right there.

2 Likes

The Hydra is utterly useless on offense. You have no ability to create skulls and all your efforts are focused on creating Green/Purple to feed Boar Rider. If Hydra is getting filled and attacking then something has gone horribly wrong with your team/luck and you’ve already lost.

I love how you push your best case scenario while I try to be objective. Green Seer filling in 2 turns? 30+ consecutive turns? Only 4 hits to kill Behemoth? I want whatever you’re smoking! You’re like a snake oil salesman!

You have to stop pushing this 30+ consecutive turns thing. Is it possible? Sure. But it’s absurd to assert its the norm. You’ll lose control far faster than 30 consecutive turns. Usually under 10 and more like 6-8. Which realistically means 2, maybe 3, shots of Boar Rider. (And btw it takes 5+ to knock out Behemoth or Bone Dragon.) Also bear in mind my team will be partially filled by then bc it takes your team several turns to get rolling. Even one fill of Green Seer or Giant Spider isn’t enough to ensure it combos early on. I’ll probably get 6 turns before you really get rolling. That could be enough to end Boar Rider if you’re unlucky…

At any rate, if we get out of early game your combo will stall hard. What will happen is you’ll have a board full of Green and Purple but won’t be able to make a 4+ match. We all know how this happens with big generators, and it’s super frustrating but that’s how it goes. And that means I’m gonna have multiple Green/Purple matches. Which also means filling Behemoth/Bone Dragon. Which also means killing Boar Rider or Hydra + Giant Spider.

Again, 2 shots to kill Boar Rider with its 18 total HP. 1 Bone Dragon spell to kill Hydra + Giant Spider with the obscene amount of skulls it creates and the big 15-17 damage from Behemoth. And remember, Behemoth is immune to entangle. Entangle hits one random enemy. It also wears off. You are not safe.

Yes, your team is really fun to play and works great against the AI. But it’s also a one-trick pony and I have the tools to grind it to a halt.

2 Likes

So I’ve been playing Bobomb’s team for the past few days and here’s my ultimate verdict:

His team has the potential to be great, and it’s always a lot of fun when it gets rolling and you chain together a bunch of turns and fire off Boar Rider a few times. However, it also has the potential to be a big dud. I’ve had games where I filled Hydra first bc of the board. I’ve had games where both Green Seer and Giant Spider can’t connect 4+ matches. It just happens.

My team, on the other hand, is always solid. Very tanky, multiple ways to kill, able to target priority troops, etc.

At the end of the day, I’d rather have the reliable team that will always perform over the flashy team that can sometimes be great.

2 Likes

And did I mention that my opponent is very unstable?

His only known associates are very suspicious characters.

1 Like

My opponent is a perfect politician. He’ll say anything to win, never trying to back up a single thing with real figures or logic :cold_sweat:

I believe I have many posts with figures and logic, and that should be clear to anyone that glances at this thread. Are you deliberately insulting everyone else?!

My opponent is, in fact, the mudslinger here! As I said, a very sketchy character. Making it even clearly you can’t trust anything he says…

I love you 2.

4 Likes

To recap there are explosions and windmills killing people left and right and i don’t know what is going on.

I love how political it’s gotten! My contribution:

1 Like

Wasn’t Mercy eliminated in the first round… again?

Details! What I lack in verisimilitude, I make up for in volume.

2 Likes

Oh good, we’ve gotten to the “I am rubber, you are glue. Anything you say bounces off me and sticks to YOU” part of the debate. So, we’re aiming for age 4-6, then?

I hate to start the quote war since we really over-used it last round, but it’ll make my answers clearer. I hope @Studs, you don’t mind too much.

So, talking about mudslinging:

Faulty logic:

Since when is the only way to get skulls by making them? The game provides plenty, and I can’t turn them Green/Purple. How is 17 attack useless on offense? Not to mention that if it gets hit by skulls, it deals 3 damage to each of your troops - bursting barrier in the process. Hydra gets filled by chains, not by choosing to match Red/Blue. So slowly, but it can still pack a punch if needed. It’s not the main ressource, but it’s there just in case.

I’m showing YOUR best case scenario, not mine. My best case scenario is I get a set of 4-5 purple off the start, a mana surge, and then manage to turn something green that will again give me a set of 5 plus extra sets, charging up all the parts of the combo before you’ve had the chance to play once. That’s MY best case scenario. But mana surges are random, so no point factoring them in. Same reason I don’t do it for you.

Yes. Check the math (above), tell me how my calculations don’t add up.

Again, yes. It has 23 life and 21 armor to begin. Boar Rider does 11 per hit. If Behemoth gets life/armor from Blessed, if my Boar Rider doesn’t get extra magic from my Blessing, if your Cursed lowers Boar Rider’s magic (lots of IFs) it will take 5 turns. Immense is unreliable as you have no way of creating sets of 4/5 besides Bone Dragon (once in a long while) and through sheer luck. Also, Behemoth is Boar Rider’s first target, so won’t have much time to get life if the Combo kicks in.

Except that’s exactly what Boar Rider fixes. If the proverbial :poop: hits the fan, I can always turn Green to Purple or vice versa, guaranteeing a whole bunch more chains and filling up whichever troops take that colour. You don’t get much left, and you can’t use Green.

Behemoth doesn’t take either Green or Purple. Bone Dragon doesn’t like Green. Did you really think this through?

Your whole plan is “You lose, I win”. Basically, you claim I can’t kill so much as your first creature. I claim I can do much more. If your Behemoth dies, your whole team ends up entangled and does no skull damage. That makes Bone Dragon pretty useless (since Wight doesn’t care about armor anyways).

We seem to have pretty different experiences playing this combo. The only teams I’ve lost against have faster starts than mine - teams with combos including Mercy, mostly. This experience has been backed up by those of @Zelfore, @Lyya, @Royalty and @Shiratori. Not sure what’s going on in your games, but it doesn’t seem representative. Of course it’s easier against an AI, as they’ll go for skulls even if they’re entangled, for instance. But I didn’t make up my figures. Why bother, for two measly arcanes?

I really think the combo speaks for itself. I’ve outlined its strengths and weaknesses. Either you see that, or you prefer an AI match, or you just like big Legendaries. You’re totally free to chose. But if you chose a PvP match, you can believe the combo deck crushes anything else in this field.

1 Like

Oh no the @Bobomb has resorted to his biggest weapon yet. Ye has planted the landmine so lets see if his quote mines get stepped on or if @Studs can tiptoe around them.

1 Like