The 2nd GoW Forum Fantasy Series: First Place Match

Congrats @Machiknight. Great team. :smile_cat:

1 Like

Slow clap

Yes you did manage to squeak it outā€¦ and ran through a 4 team gauntlet to claim the prize. Good jobā€¦

Butā€¦

They say you had Gorgotha to carry you. Twice you squeezed by and needed that lucky fall to finish off your opponent. The only reason you stand here now was because of the help you got from the draft itself onward. Help that you even openly challenged during the event itself.

You want the challenge, then hereā€™s one for you and one that will take away your biggest strength.

http://ashtender.com/gems/teams/gorgotha.l,watcher.e,soothsayer.r,terraxis.e,c

Youā€™re not the only one who can win with apparently ā€œGorgotha Smash!ā€ So letā€™s strip that aside and see who really has the stronger team. My challenge to youā€¦

GRUDGE MATCH!

Letā€™s see who truly is the strongest!

2 Likes

And the gauntlet is thrown.

Are YOUUUUUU coming here to challenge MY belt!?

Iā€™ll step into the ring with you!

GORGOTHA GRUDGE MATCH!

1 Like

Gorgotha OP! I really hope they nerf it slightly with 2.0.

It should also be banned from future fantasy drafts.

Gorgotha has too many counters but none of them are good enough.

Iā€™m posting this unofficially here because some things still need to go up for discussion . Itā€™s extremely unlikely that anything will get banned mostly because the meta will change with the addition of all remaining kingdoms. There may be a few other tweaks but at the least, I think the addition of Blighted Lands and Desert Sands (and the new one too if itā€™s out by then) should help tip the scales. Plus as weā€™ve seen with some of the other top teams that combos can prove to make winning teams too. Not to mention, Gorgotha squeaked through 2 of his 4 rounds. 1 or 2 votes go the other way and much of this is moot.

1 Like

Heā€™s anti-fun, and clearly OP in the fantasy series. People see him and insta-lock their vote. It goes against the spirit of the competition where thoughtfulness and argumentation are supposed to carry the day.

Well Iā€™d also say that the teams were both good teams if you look past the simple Gorgotha factor. Thatā€™s part of the reason for the forthcoming grudge match.

I think also as time goes on people may vote the other way just for something different. Overall though Iā€™m sure something will come up to try and balance things. I think adding all kingdoms is a big step that way. Yeah Gorgotha is still strong but if he gets paired against Great Maw? Then you need to look at the rest of the team.

Or he was paired to a healer and teamed with two other cards that both generate mana and do damage. Machi managed to draft a competitive team even outside of fantasy. A little slow for widespread adaptation but definitely competitive. That is why he won, not because of a single card being a single card.

2 Likes

I beg to differ with you. 2 of my rounds came down to a 2 vote difference. I ask you to consider if your own perceptions are also coloring the troop. Iā€™m sure there is some ā€œGorgotha smashā€ voting, but the closeness of the votes is not JUST that. I also pmd people on the forums on a grassroots level and asked for votes, in addition to having an entertaining and fun commentary in my battles.

Sure, there are people that look beyond Gorgotha. But the fact that heā€™s been on both the winning teams says plenty.

Bottom line is that he fits in basically any team and you fit to him if youā€™re lucky enough to have him. Then, once youā€™ve built around him, you have a much easier path than most.

Whereā€™s @TaliaParksā€™s easy button when I need it?

In his defense, his team wasnā€™t built around Gorgotha. He had already picked 2 troops by the time it dropped in his lap. Yeah it fit real nice though, but he had a plan going without it.

And you grabbed Bone Dragon with the 2nd pick but was it your first choice? I mean, you could have had both. :wink:

I am going to see if talia will let me host the fantasy gauntlet matches. This way players can take their fantasy teams against other peopleā€™s fantasy teams.

If I were first choice I would absolutely draft Gorgotha. At this point, it would be silly not to.

Maybe. Gorgotha tanks harder than the wall but i would hope someone packs a devour troop.

Look, the ONLY reason Gorgotha won 1/2 the matches is because I was able to ask for enough votes from PMs.

I think that speaks pretty well about him not being perceived as OP.

As @Shiratori says, I drafted him as a happy accident because his plan changed so much.

Didnā€™t you get gorgotha in a trade or was that another troop and another person?

It was a third pick trade, very near the bottom of the pick list.

He got it in a trade from me.

So basically I helped win series 2 as well. Damn Iā€™m good. Whistles innocently

1 Like