Suggestions to scale Poison/Burn

i think burn/poison should not be a ‘useless effect’ outside of it working with ‘double skull damage on certain debuiff’ effect?
like this u could nerf silence to have 10% chance to disallow spell damage (instead of 100%) and tell that it works well coz it can go with the double skull dmg on silenced enemies and so on

Powercreep is a fact (not necessarily with troops themselves, but because of Kingdom bonuses) and Burn/Poison is totally outdated in late game. I guess a simple increase in damage will result in it being OP in the beginning and Arena, so I like the “scaling with the victim’s health” idea very much. Or maybe with some attacker’s stats
By the way the same applies - maybe to a lesser extent - to many traits, like stone/nature/whatever heart or brand, big/huge, regeneration and so on. They’re much better in the beginning than later on. I’m not sure what can be done about it though, or even if anything should be done.

1 Like

Depending on the type of your team your troops could get really big for bug/huge traits.

I think health bonuses are fine, they tend to stack on each other, anyway. I’m a new player, so I don’t know much about the late game, other than from Tacet’s videos. Health looks good as is, and ability effects are generally pretty good, it’s just that Burn and Poison seems really lacking to me, basing my experience on late game footage.

moving it to feature requests.

I like the idea of a poison buff, but doing a flat 10% does not work on several levels. Especially when considering Tanks, as @Salsacookies pointed out.

These are troops that SUPPOSED to be stout, hearty, and able to take the poison longer, that would not make them more vulnerable to the poison, but a flat 10% would mean your tankier troops are weaker to poison… not appropriate.

Poison is Poison. It should effect everybody equally, but if you had control over the STRENGTH of that poison, like @Freakynation76 suggested I think this would be a VERY fun dynamic to the game.

Poison does [1 + 1:3 skulls] dmg with a [50 + 2:1 green gems] % chance per turn
So a board with say 9 skulls and 10 green gems would deal 4 dmg with a 70% rate of proc.
With this format, I would NOT recommend it be True Dmg.

Something similar could be implemented for Burn. This would greatly change how you build thsoe decks and how you play them trying to mana starve to reduce strength, etc.

Also, a fun counter to that would be to increase the chance of recovery based on gems as well maybe at a rate of 1:2 earth countering poison, and water countering fire, of course.
So 12 blue gems would increase recovery chance to 16% instead of 10%…

What do you think…? :wink:

id leave skulls out of the equation and set chance to heal fixed as it originally is (increased chance to heal could be introduced in a new trait or added to big/huge traits for example)

the idea to raise damage by red(burn) or green(poison) gems looks nice but im not really sure would i like it - that kind of aim of board control is not so easy and the numbers would have to be marginal (or would get abused) therefore rendering the effort for the board controll giving small return of effort/effect - probably best return of effort/effect would give just exmploding whole board to reset it for a fair amount of any color…

the counter for it would be also stupidly easy(transform or remove it away) in comparison to the board control it requires to take stronger effect

2 Likes

@Annaerith A lot of great points, I was of course spit-balling there, but to defend the board control element

It would be marginal, so not really a problem in either case, but fun to play with for those that like the idea. If you are concerned and generate the greens away, no problem it would still deal exactly what it does now, without any boost.

I do think it would be a lot of dev work for essentially little gain, but as somebody who likes to control game elements it would be very fun to control! :wink:

I think this is over complicating a simple mechanic. Status effects should be straightforward and easy to understand for new users.

3 Likes

That’s true, would be way to complicated to explain to new users how it works.

As I said… probably too much work anyway, but would be fun. :wink:

not so much fun trying to figure out is your troop (or enemy troop) gonna die next turn of poison or not xD
enough having to count gems for extra turn (13+) requirements but that too? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thats why you build your deck around the gimmick, its the reason gow is fun.

Had to fight a full maxed stat\klvl mythic 3x behemoth & valk team 2 days ago. Impossible…

Poison should scale with the poisoner imo. So it should be “poison the enemy for 1/2/3 damage”. This could be based on the magic stat at a low boost ratio capped at a certain value e.g. 3.

Burn is a bit trickier but could operate in the same way. It would be very cool if the burn level was based on the burned troop’s type (e.g. daemons are immune, beasts & monsters take the full whack) but no doubt that would cause a load of balance issues, not to mention that it introduces an inconsistent lore (it makes sense for undead skeletal troops to be immune, but zombies are if anything super flammable).

Agree that both need an overhaul though as they are negligible at end game when compared to stun and freeze.

I dont quite get it yet. Would poison damage scale with the magic of the troop applying it or with the magic of the troop poisoned? Cause the first would cause a ton of problems when more than one troop causes poison (an already poisoned troop being ‘repoisoned’ by Miasma for example) - who’s magic would apply? - the later would be somewhat weird… cause why would a troops magic increase its damage taken.

Although I think buffing poison and burning would be a good idea, we shouldnt overcomplicate things too much.

Tacet already came up with a fix to poison. Simply have it scale to ten percent of the enemy’s life.

As for burn… not sure. I still think scaling to Attack would be best, but I can’t think of good scaling. Alternatively, scaling burn to red gem amount would be okay, I guess. I want to make sure to hit a good balance of burn damage to keep it viable, without being OP.

As said before deckbuilding makes the viabillity by synergy, we dont need more dmg numbers on this.

Make poison 100% chance, not 50%, and make it so there’s no chance for it to go away on its own - you have to cleanse someone to get rid of it. At least that’s a start to making it more useful.

2 Likes

I think this is the fix that everybody really wants. Particularly at end game, there is no reason why 1 pt of true dmg can’t be guaranteed. It is not broken in the slightest, I would still leave the 10% chance of recovery, but, definitely 100% chance of dealing dmg… :thumbsup: