Some upcoming Gems of War changes (including more gems!)

Simple and Sweet solution!

Well done!!

:clap: x3

1 Like

I understand that you don’t want to harm the economy of the game so why don’t you stimulate the economy of the game instead by reducing the price of gems in the shop or offering some more cosmetic items to buy. They are called micro transactions because they are small however most of the items available to buy are not micro in price and some cost as much as buying 3 AAA games for pc so only the richer players tend to purchase them so in effect they are macro transactions. I would be more than happy to spend £1-£2 (if not a little more) per week every week if it was something that I felt I got value from.

The only reason I spent over £100 to get to VIP level 5 was because I wanted to support you guys and get access to the chests but I had to buy things I didn’t want or need to get there. Can you explain how spending £95 on a typhoon of keys pack will feel like value to a player who will spend that money to gamble on whats in some chests. If they get nothing of value they will not feel happy like a gambler who has just put money on red and it came up black.

The idea that has been floating around that you can pay to get a mythic you don’t have is fine, I would rather Pay to Win than Pay to Gamble

9 Likes

This might see a bit more traction in the new economy. $50 or whatever for a single “crafting token” that could be used whenever a mythic of choice comes up in the Soulforge. That would take a lot of the sting out of the reduced gem income.

2 Likes

Wait, what? Being able to outright buy a mythic for $50 would make people feel less cheated?

I think a major reason people feel cheated is that they are now feeling pushed (and not gently) toward spending more money if they want to get anywhere.

5 Likes

Yes agreed that buying a mythic you don’t have will make some feel thats its pay to win but isn’t the whole opening chest idea a veiled form of gambling so are you in favour of encouraging gambling over purchasing something of value to support the devs

2 Likes

Yes, I am…for myself. I’ve already spent over $200 to support the devs, and considering the average AAA title is $60 that’s quite a lot more than I normally spend. In fact, the only games I’ve spent more than $60 on are collector’s editions of my favorite games. My favorite game on Steam cost me $10 and I’ve racked up 500 hours, and the devs are still adding new content for free because the game sells so well.

I am quite content to stash up the free Gems I can earn and spend them on VIP chests.

The day my luck turns too sour, I’ll walk away from the table and not look back.

4 Likes

Well, yeah. You can buy/save gems to try when the troop is new. You can buy/save diamonds to craft when the opportunity arises. Or you can pay for a crafting chit that saves you the time, apart from having to wait for that mythic to become available in the Soulforge. You miss out on having the troop the minute it hits the chests, but if you wanted new and shiny now you could have spent gems.

It’s another way to fill in gaps in a collection, and one I have seen requested several times (typically next to a lament that the path to glory gave a duplicate troop on day 30).

4 Likes

Yes, I have stated many times that I would treat myself to a PtG if I knew it would drop a missing piece to my collection.

My willingness to purchase content is real.
My willingness to purchase rng chance is NOT.

11 Likes

Path to glory gives a bunch of stuff besides the troop, though, no? So you can quibble about how much of the $50 goes towards days 1-29. The idea behind the crafting chit is to skip all that stuff (which is surely worth something), but in exchange you get to choose your prize. I’m sure the publisher would want more than $50 for that, but while I am spitballing I may as well suggest reasonable-sounding numbers.

You are 100% correct, but despite the other things that come 1-29, it is undeniable that people are purchasing PtG because of the Mythic Drop.

Which brings me back to my first point which I have stated too many times already:

STOP FORCING ME TO BUY CONTENT I DON’T WANT!

Remove 1-29, and the price associated with it and sell me Day 30 for… $15

How many of THOSE would they sell?

4 Likes

I’m not really up for spending money at this point. Under the new economy, the gems I have in the bank will be wiped out with the next mythic where I get a bad run of luck. Even before, I missed out on a couple of mythics where I spent down to 0 and didn’t get them. So personally I don’t feel that gems were being handed out so frequently that no-one ever needed more.

The reduction to the number of event keys makes more sense to me. Previously, they were rare and were only awarded for revenge fights. Then under the sentinels system, we started getting loads - enough to easily ascend kingdom legendaries. So if event keys alone had taken the hit, to my mind that would have been a reasonable economic adjustment, increasing the value of gems by forcing the player to decide whether to spend gems finishing kingdoms or waiting for the next mythic.

I know that some people pay the prices but I can’t see myself throwing another £50 at this game; certainly not for a single transaction. I just bought The Witcher 3 from PSN for £10. Dishonoured 2 and Fallout 4 cost the same price. I’m new to PS4, but it’s a no-brainer answer for me to the question “where should I spend my gaming budget?”

I still enjoy GoW and will continue to play. I’ve accepted that I will never complete my collection, which is a shame because that is what I was aiming for.

8 Likes

The biggest fear I have with this new economy is a snowball effect where I miss a mythic and can’t recover. I start missing more and more mythics because I can never adequately recover from the 1st initial unlucky mythic that cost me all my resources. Maybe it’s not a reasonable fear to have, but this is where my dislike of the new economy stems from.

If the devs choose to stick with this new gem-gimped economy, and I really hope they do not, maybe reducing the amount of mythics released per year might be the answer? Instead of a mythic every month, what about a new mythic every other month? Since they’d have an extra month per mythic, maybe have a 2 week beta-test period where beta-testers get to test it out, give their input, and maybe get some changes done to the troop before release.

I’d much prefer a solid beta-tested mythic that has the community’s input behind it being released every other month than to have a new mythic released monthly. If gems really are going to be gimped this hard, maybe toning back the 1-per-month mythic schedule is the answer?

11 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with that sentiment, I am also someone who works hard for his money and would rather purchase content than purchase RNG chance (aka Gambling)

2 Likes

There is no way they will ever sell mythics for just $15.

10 Likes

It’s true. Even though, at $15 it would cost $60 to get the ‘good’ mythics (Famine, Elemaugrim, Infernus, Draakulis) which would be a heck of a lot of money for the devs

3 Likes

I know it will never happen… but my question is why?

It seems like a no brainer to me. After an exclusive chest only period, offer the mythic for purchase for $15 bucks. If they keep releasing new content then there will always be an influx of money…

Not saying it would be the BEST option but would make mad money…

Right? :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Well, in my humble opinion, the game would become truly P2W, which I don’t think is a good thing for a decent portion of the community. That price point is so low that many people would be able to do it every month without much thought. I know I would.

I also think the publishers like the gacha aspect of “possibly” making more money from a gacha system than a flat $15 a month here and there. Interestingly, I think they might make more money with the $15 idea. But, I doubt they see it that way since this gacha setup is pretty standard in F2P games.

Personally, I would love to buy mythics for $15. That way, I could solo the game during times I can’t play much instead of having to leave the game on hiatus.

1 Like

You don’t stimulate an economy by devaluaing the currency. Ask Maduro and the people of Venezuela.

1 Like

That’s a brilliant idea!

I get your sentiment and we’ll not argue the “country politics vs F2P” comparison but I am interested in how would you stimulate the economy in a F2P game as my sentiment was to get people spending by delighting them with purchases with perceived value rather than taking things away then forcing them to buy them back instead

3 Likes